SecureCRT workflow

SecureCRT is a terminal client I use for ssh sessions. I've created a simple workflow that opens the app and passes a session name query to automatically connect to a host -

/Applications/SecureCRT.app/Contents/MacOS/SecureCRT /S <Session_Name>

Now this works fine but SecureCRT nests the session .ini files in folders (and I have a few hundred of these based on the device locations), so I find myself having to include the path in the keyword argument. For example "keyword \folder\host.ini".

What I'd like to be able to achieve is a way of searching the folders for the host .ini and then passing the resulting path to the command line argument that launches the appropriate session in the app.

Hope that makes sense and thanks in advance for any help or pointers.

SecureCRT is a terminal client I use for ssh sessions. I've created a simple workflow that opens the app and passes a session name query to automatically connect to a host -

/Applications/SecureCRT.app/Contents/MacOS/SecureCRT /S <Session_Name>

Now this works fine but SecureCRT nests the session .ini files in folders (and I have a few hundred of these based on the device locations), so I find myself having to include the path in the keyword argument. For example "keyword \folder\host.ini".

What I'd like to be able to achieve is a way of searching the folders for the host .ini and then passing the resulting path to the command line argument that launches the appropriate session in the app.

Hope that makes sense and thanks in advance for any help or pointers.

Would creating a file filter potentially work for this? Since a .ini is plain text, you could create a file filter that would only search within that root directory or below, for .ini files, and you could make it search the contents to find the hostname. The only downside would be that it would search all the contents for a match. I say that's a downside but I don't know how much data is in each.

Within the .ini the hostname is referenced by IP address like this -

S:"Hostname"=192.168.0.1

With the field kMDItemTextContext I tried a value of "Hostname"={query} and no joy but I'm not sure thats what I'm looking for. I'd like to be able to open the sessions by name as I don't remember all the IP addresses. For example -

Sessions Folder

Houston

Houston-router.ini

Houston-switch.ini

London

London-router.ini

London-switch1.ini

When using the /S switch when opening SecureCRT it can only look for a .ini in the session folder root if you don't specify the full path.

kMDItemPath would would be ideal but it doesn't look like it can be used with a query? http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1341590/no-results-in-spotlight-in-searches-against-kmditempath/1342019#1342019

Edited by bcartledge1871
  • 1 month later...

I was able to get somewhere with this using a file filter and some text manipulation in an NSAppleScript action. What happens though is that SecureCRT launches and connects to the host, however while its running I can't use Alfred until I quit the SecureCRT application.

do shell script "/Applications/SecureCRT.app/Contents/MacOS/SecureCRT /S " & result

Ok I got there in the end with the help of google. The script is below in case other SecureCRT users find it useful. It's my first attempt at Applescript so open to any suggestions or ways to simplify.

One caveat is if the session name has a space it's not working. In this case the session name must be enclosed with quotation marks and I can't figure out the correct AppleScript syntax e.g. /Applications/SecureCRT.app/Contents/MacOS/SecureCRT /T /S "My Session". But as a workaround I can rename my session files and folders to remove any spaces.

set findThis to "/Users/*******/******/VanDyke/Config/Sessions/" -- SecureCRT sessions path
set replaceItWith to ""
set newText to switchText of "{query}" from findThis to replaceItWith

trim_ext(newText, ".ini") -- remove .ini extension

do shell script "/Applications/SecureCRT.app/Contents/MacOS/SecureCRT /T /S " & result & " > /dev/null 2>&1 &" -- start SecureCRT

to switchText of theText from SearchString to ReplaceString -- remove sessions path
	set OldDelims to AppleScript's AppleScript's text item delimiters
	set AppleScript's AppleScript's text item delimiters to SearchString
	set newText to text items of theText
	set AppleScript's AppleScript's text item delimiters to ReplaceString
	set newText to newText as text
	set AppleScript's AppleScript's text item delimiters to OldDelims
	return newText
end switchText

on trim_ext(strg, trim_characters)
	set trim_list to every character of trim_characters
	set right_counter to -1
	repeat with J from 1 to length of strg
		if (character right_counter of strg) is in trim_list then
			set right_counter to right_counter - 1
		else
			exit repeat
		end if
	end repeat
	try
		set strg to text 1 through right_counter of strg
	on error
		set strg to ""
	end try
	return strg
end trim_ext

• 5 months later...

I found your script.workflow on the web.

But it does not work. I face several problems. One is the script calling "Securecrt /T", this option is not supported (anymore?). But it's not the main problem.

A big problem is the caveat you was talking about: All the sessions and directories must be without space. It's a big problem :s Is there any script expert around who could fix it ?

• 1 month later...

"Securecrt /T", this option is not supported (anymore?).

/T will open the session in a new tab. I think tabs where introduced in v.7, so if you have an older version remove the option

All the sessions and directories must be without space. It's a big problem :s Is there any script expert around who could fix it 

This is a pain and I hoped to go back and fix but never seem to find the time...

• 3 weeks later...