Right Click — Trigger a right-click on Finder files, with the keyboard

vitor

• 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

It doesn't work on Yosemite

You mean that it doesn’t even work inside a Finder window? If that’s the case, seems like Apple is breaking this capability a bit more with each release. I’ll see if I can look into it, after installing the beta (not sure when that’ll be).

• 8 months later...
  • 5 months later...
olliebaum In all honesty, even if there is a way, I’m not interested in pursuing it. If someone submits a PR or wants to help by pointing me in the right direction on Github, then I’m willing to, but otherwise Apple already killed so much of this and it’s so difficult to figure out the new workarounds, I simply don’t want to waste (not even spend, waste, really) the time to do it alone.

That's fine. I didn't mean for you to have to spend time on it. I just thought there might be an AX UI element similar to what you used to access the currently selected text. I want to create a workflow for OSX's "Look up..." which only appears in the contextual menu. I think the simple answer is probably that it's not possible. Apple clearly doesn't go out of its way to make this any easier.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

I cannot make the below workflow make work on Mojave or Catalina. Is there anyone else who is able to use the workflow as said?

On 9/23/2013 at 5:06 AM, vitor said:

Even though a native solution exists, it suffers from a big flaw: it right-clicks where you cursor is, not what you’re selecting. This workflow (or gist, if you prefer it as a Service) addresses that limitation.

Starting with Mavericks, it only works inside Finder windows, not on the Desktop.

Download | Source

6 hours ago, Amit said:

I cannot make the below workflow make work on Mojave or Catalina.

You’ll have to be more specific about what you’re doing and what’s (not) happening. Preferably with a video. You can record your screen with QuickTime Player.

It’s important you make it on Mojave, as I don’t have (nor will I ever install of my own volition) Catalina on my main machine, so I can’t debug there.

Update.

It works on the Desktop again, in addition to Finder windows! Though not if said window is showing the Desktop. Yet unsure if we could check for that use case, but it’s not a showstopper.

To update, download the latest version (same URL) or wait a few days and it’ll prompt you to on next usage, since it uses OneUpdater.

• 8 months later...