Yet another window layout workflow

• 2 weeks later...

Is there any change of getting this on Packal? (I don't mind helping if there are no objections and it's just a matter of time/availability).

As a policy for Packal, I don't want anyone to upload a workflow that isn't their own work; otherwise, I would have just uploaded this one myself as it is one of my favorites. One of the main reasons is that I want the developer to be able to push updates, and only the initial uploader of the workflow can edit/update the workflow on Packal. However, I'm completely fine with people re-writing the workflow and posting the rewrite themselves.

I actually had been writing a workflow like this and was halfway through when untoldwind posted this workflow, which was by far better than what I had done, and thus, for good reasons, stopped writing mine.

So, if anyone wants to revive this workflow, feel free to do so and post the revision on Packal.

• 3 weeks later...

This is a superb workflow.

Would it be possible to introduce an "UNDO" feature to revert the previous action?

------

Add one more Q:

How can i be able to move the fixed sized window, like iTunes?

Scenario: Random sized iTunes is open, now I need to make it half screen and put it to the right. If I use set command (half right screen), the iTunes windows will exceed the screen. I know I can handle it by using a second move command afterwards, but not efficient. 

If the coordinates onset can be chosen, the problem can be easily solved.

I am looking for a one-command option for this. Any idea? 

Thanks

Edited by homever

This is a superb workflow.

Would it be possible to introduce an "UNDO" feature to revert the previous action?

------

Add one more Q:

How can i be able to move the fixed sized window, like iTunes?

Scenario: Random sized iTunes is open, now I need to make it half screen and put it to the right. If I use set command (half right screen), the iTunes windows will exceed the screen. I know I can handle it by using a second move command afterwards, but not efficient. 

If the coordinates onset can be chosen, the problem can be easily solved.

I am looking for a one-command option for this. Any idea? 

Thanks

If you read further up in the thread, you'll notice that the workflow author hasn't really been around, and, so, unless he shows back up, it's best to think of this amazing workflow as abandonware, meaning that feature requests won't happen.

If you read further up in the thread, you'll notice that the workflow author hasn't really been around, and, so, unless he shows back up, it's best to think of this amazing workflow as abandonware, meaning that feature requests won't happen.

Hope someone would pick it up and upload to Packal,make it long live.

Neither workflow is working for me... Can someone please help me figure out the issue?

When I run alfred debug this is the error message I get:

Starting debug for 'Mjolnir Workflow'

[ERROR: alfred.workflow.action.script] Code 127: /bin/bash: line 29: -c: command not found

And for the other window layout workflow:

Starting debug for 'Layout'

[ERROR: alfred.workflow.action.script] Code 1: Ignoring xcodeproj-0.17.0 because its extensions are not built.  Try: gem pristine xcodeproj-0.17.0

/Library/Ruby/Site/2.0.0/rubygems/core_ext/kernel_require.rb:54:in `require': cannot load such file -- osx/cocoa (LoadError)

from /Library/Ruby/Site/2.0.0/rubygems/core_ext/kernel_require.rb:54:in `require'

from layout.rb:3:in `<main>'

→  I tried running the gem command from terminal but get the following error:

$ gem pristine xcodeproj-0.17.0

ERROR:  While executing gem ... (Gem::Exception)

Failed to find gems ["xcodeproj-0.17.0"] >= 0

Neither workflow is working for me... Can someone please help me figure out the issue?

When I run alfred debug this is the error message I get:

Starting debug for 'Mjolnir Workflow'

[ERROR: alfred.workflow.action.script] Code 127: /bin/bash: line 29: -c: command not found

Not sure why it said command not found. That line just uses a "cat"? But, that line was from an old version of the script. I removed it. Please re-download the workflow. The proper order for installing:

1) Install Mjolnir

2) Install this workflow and run "mj:install"

3) Run "mj:find" to find the mjolnir command line util.

4) then have fun. Everything should work.

Let me know if you have any other problems. It would be best to move to the Mjolnir thread:  http://www.alfredforum.com/topic/4889-mjolnir-workflow/?hl=mjolnir

• 2 months later...

I tried out Mjolnir but couldn't make it work. Admittedly I didn't try for a long time, but I don't find layout slow enough to bother switching (~0.5 second). Also at this point I'm pretty enamored with my setup which I use to bounce windows around my monitors.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/yepqo6xj69y78pi/Screen%20Shot%202015-02-06%20at%20%E4%B8%8A%E5%8D%8812.13.55.png?dl=0

Screen%20Shot%202015-02-06%20at%20%E4%B8

Edited by Alex1729

I tried out Mjolnir but couldn't make it work. Admittedly I didn't try for a long time, but I don't find layout slow enough to bother switching (~0.5 second). Also at this point I'm pretty enamored with my setup which I use to bounce windows around my monitors.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/yepqo6xj69y78pi/Screen%20Shot%202015-02-06%20at%20%E4%B8%8A%E5%8D%8812.13.55.png?dl=0

Screen%20Shot%202015-02-06%20at%20%E4%B8

Hey that's great. Since you have a working copy of it, maybe share it with those can not find it anywhere.

Hammerspoon is the same as Mjolnir without the crazy installation issuses. Everything is self contained and works well.

Workflow is here:

http://www.packal.org/workflow/hammerspoon-workflow

Program is here:

http://www.hammerspoon.org/

It came out after Mjolnir to help solve the issues like Lua versions and external libraries. It is a fork from the Mjolnir github.

• 7 months later...

The workflow is on Packal now (last updated 15 Aug 2015), although this thread hasn't been updated to inform about this. Thanks for this great workflow!

Is it possible to add a ”nudge" function, i.e. move window up/down/left/right in small steps, it would be great.

my stopped working ...

i get the following error:  

[ERROR: alfred.workflow.action.script] given is experimental at layout.pl line 256.

when is experimental at layout.pl line 257.

when is experimental at layout.pl line 263.

when is experimental at layout.pl line 273.

when is experimental at layout.pl line 293.

when is experimental at layout.pl line 331.

when is experimental at layout.pl line 355.

Can't call method "position" on unblessed reference at layout.pl line 229.

any suggestions?

• 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 8 months later...

Amazing workflow, but it no longer works.

Debugging in Alfred 3 I get:

[2017-04-02 18:55:38][ERROR: input.scriptfilter] Code 255: Syck parser (line 12, column 22): syntax error at /System/Library/Perl/Extras/5.18/darwin-thread-multi-2level/YAML/Syck.pm line 133, <$fh> line 1.

and 

/usr/bin/perl layout.pl center

given is experimental at layout.pl line 274.

when is experimental at layout.pl line 275.

when is experimental at layout.pl line 281.

when is experimental at layout.pl line 289.

when is experimental at layout.pl line 299.

when is experimental at layout.pl line 319.

when is experimental at layout.pl line 357.

when is experimental at layout.pl line 381.

Can't call method "position" on unblessed reference at layout.pl line 247.

Managed to get it work under Alfred 3 by right click on the workflow and "Open in Finder". Then edit layout_select.pl and changed line 12 from 

my $layouts_file = $ENV{'HOME'} . '/Library/Application Support/Alfred 2/Workflow Data/de.leanovate.alfred.layout/layouts.yaml';
to

my $layouts_file = $ENV{'HOME'} . '/Library/Application Support/Alfred 3/Workflow Data/de.leanovate.alfred.layout/layouts.yaml';

• 6 years later...