Luxinate - Download video and audio from YouTube and SoundCloud

*** Major Update ***

I have included a option that allows the user to check whether there is an update available for Luxinate.

This will keep the amount of times I have to modify the forum post due to small essential updates.

Please report any bugs to me via this thread.

Thanks for your support!

Wow, fantastic update!!! This workflow just keeps getting better and better  :D

Also: thank you so much for implementing the default-format setting! 

Your very welcome! And thank you guys for the support you've shown to this workflow.

Any new ideas and suggestions are welcome.

New update is out as well.

In this update I added the ability to search through SoundCloud for songs to download and fixed many bugs.

Thank you again!

Really impressive workflow, love it. Thank you.

Unfortunately luxsoundcloud does not seem to work for me, after entering any letter after luxsoundcloud it reverts to a simple google search.

I have the latest version.

Thank you for the report. I was afraid that that the way I set up the SoundCloud search wouldn't work for everyone.

If you could open up your terminal and install the SoundCloud directory to your machine by entering...

sudo pip install soundcloud

This should download the SoundCloud API directly to your machine.

If the pip command doesn't work for you, then try this command instead.

sudo easy_install soundcloud

Let me know if this fixes the luxsoundcloud option. Thank you.

That solved it!

Thank you for your super fast solution.

*update

Unfortunately it would seem that although this initially fixed the issue, it now seems to be a problem again. The search works fine now but there are no results after selecting the audio. Notifications are working but not the actual download.

Edited by DaveRR

Awesome workflow. Thanks for your work and sharing.

Unfortunately luxsafari ► audio when a youtube video is open it only shows the google search.

All other actions are working. Is there something I can do?

Unfortunately, I don't think there is a quick fix for that.

Thanks for the bug report, Ill have to fix that in the next update.

The way I have luxsafari and luxchrome setup takes the "audio" or "video" parameter and filters the open tabs by what is available for download.

So downloading audio from youtube using luxsafari doesn't work in this update.

Sorry for the inconvenience. Next update will fix this bug. Thanks for the feedback!

That solved it!

Thank you for your super fast solution.

*update

Unfortunately it would seem that although this initially fixed the issue, it now seems to be a problem again. The search works fine now but there are no results after selecting the audio. Notifications are working but not the actual download.

Are you saying that the download doesn't show up in the downloads folder, or are you not able to download the file at all?

All audio downloads first get downloaded to a temporary file located at "/tmp/luxinate_temporary.part" then this file is converted and saved to wherever you've specified downloads to be saved.

So to test if your downloads are working try having a Finder window open in "/tmp/" when you start a download. If a file luxinate_temporary.part shows up then your downloads are working and it might be either the conversion command or a specific download path you've saved. 

For me to figure out whats going on I would recommend entering

open /tmp/

into your Terminal and then running a download. Then post a reply telling me if you saw the luxinate_temporary.part file be created in the /tmp/ directory. This will help me get a grasp on what is messing up. Thanks!

Edited by Ritashugisha

Hi Ritahugisha,

Fantastic workflow! And as far as i see, really the best featured video and sound downloader... Please go on!

But i have a essential problem, the Download doesn't work. It make no difference if i install the youtube-dl into the extension dir or in /usr/bin. Can you please give me an advice!?

Thanx in advance.

Efty

Edited by Efty Edge

Hi Ritahugisha,

Fantastic workflow! And as far as i see, really the best featured video and sound downloader... Please go on!

But i have a essential problem, the Download doesn't work. It make no difference if i install the youtube-dl into the extension dir or in /usr/bin. Can you please give me an advice!?

Thanx in advance.

Efty

Same problem with the youtube audio downloader. I get a notification when the dl is starting and when is done (I can also se a luxinate_temporary.part created in /temp) but still I can't find the file anywhere.

Hey guys, working on a complete rewrite that should fix the current problems. The new update should be available over this weekend, hopefully the rewrite will get rid of any problems that are occurring. 

For Efty Edge, youtube-dl is expected to be located in the workflow folder in a folder titled "Resources". Also youtube-dl's name must be "youtube-dl".

If this doesn't solve your problem, then send me a description of what your trying to do and what is happening as a result.

For S036, if you find a problem with the download not being saved to the correct folder then there are three possibilities:

1. The URL contains specific characters which are not compensated for
  2. A specific path where downloads are to be saved contains specific characters which are not compensated for
  3. FFMPEG is failing to convert the download to the save location

I would recommend sending me the URL and the path to where your downloads are saved via this thread so that I may test them and fix any issues.

Thanks for the reports, a lot of small text format errors occur when using youtube-dl alongside Alfred. So it's to be expected that these bugs turn up occasionally.

here is the yt url

youtube.com/watch?v=x1aomOOrLkY

dl path shows like this via terminal

/Volumes/Hackintosh\ HD/_Personal/Documents/Downloads

but it should be

/Volumes/Hackintosh HD/_Personal/Documents/Downloads

Could this be the problem?

Thanks!

I'm working on a fix to this problem right now. I'll hopefully get a update out this weekend. 

A lot of systems have been causing an issue with saves because of the /Volumes/ issue, but hopefully the new update will fix any issues.

The problem is with spaces and console use. The console likes to escape spaces before running a command. The problem is Alfred will also escape spaces if they appear in a specific context. This ends up escaping an escape character which breaks the CD and download links. I've been working to make Luxinate more simple code wise. Hopefully I can get it to work with Alfred's escapes.

Many thanks for your help!

Edited by Ritashugisha

Are you saying that the download doesn't show up in the downloads folder, or are you not able to download the file at all?

All audio downloads first get downloaded to a temporary file located at "/tmp/luxinate_temporary.part" then this file is converted and saved to wherever you've specified downloads to be saved.

So to test if your downloads are working try having a Finder window open in "/tmp/" when you start a download. If a file luxinate_temporary.part shows up then your downloads are working and it might be either the conversion command or a specific download path you've saved. 

For me to figure out whats going on I would recommend entering

open /tmp/

into your Terminal and then running a download. Then post a reply telling me if you saw the luxinate_temporary.part file be created in the /tmp/ directory. This will help me get a grasp on what is messing up. Thanks!

Did what you asked, seems to be related to some SC files and not others.

luxinate_temporary.part appears everytime however some target files then convert, others simply never appear. luxinate_temporary.part dissapears in either case.

Many thanks! It's such a great workflow and i appreciate your efforts.

* except in some cases, as i just found out, luxinate_temporary.part dosent appear at all. confusing! file types? tags within file types?

Edited by DaveRR

*** Update [3.6.1] ***

I've completely rewritten all of the code to try and get a smoother and less buggy workflow.

It works fine on both my machine and the others I have access to.

This doesn't mean that it's completely free of bugs though.

If you find any bugs please let me know via this thread!

New to Luxinate 3.6.1

- Many bug fixes and full rewrite of source code

- Progress bar option

- Updated youtube-dl and ffmpeg

- Option to prompt install of SoundCloud API

(I recommend installing the SoundCloud API to your machine rather than using the way I had it before)

Thanks again for all of your support and encouraging words!

Edited by Ritashugisha

Hi thanks for the new update, it works quite fine to me. Just one question, how does the progress bar works? I've turned it on but I can't see it anywhere...

The progress bar is meant to spawn a small dialog box that resembles this.

Screen_Shot_2013_11_23_at_2_40_49_AM.png

I don't exactly know how compatible it is with other machines. All I can tell you is that it relies on AppleScript and an old dialog program.

If you don't see this box when you have the progress bar activated and a download in progress then let me know. 

I may not be able to do anything about it if it doesn't appear for specific machines unfortunately.

Great piece of software. I just have one problem. I installed the workflow, downloaded one audio file from youtube, then the whole thing stopped working. Notification center says its downloading but I can't see where the files end up. I've tried editing the download path but it doesn't help. Nothing appears to be downloading. Help!

Great piece of software. I just have one problem. I installed the workflow, downloaded one audio file from youtube, then the whole thing stopped working. Notification center says its downloading but I can't see where the files end up. I've tried editing the download path but it doesn't help. Nothing appears to be downloading. Help!

By what method did you start the download with? the default Lux, Advanced Lux, Lux Safari, Lux Chrome, or Lux YouTube?

Also what URL did you try to download that messed up first?

These things will help me be able to figure out what messed up in the workflow.

Hi again,

with the latest version the download from audio and video works like charm! Thanx for that.

Only the progress bar will not work. Mavericks says it's a script from an uncertified developer. As usual i tried to open the script in finder. But the finder would let me...!?

Efty

Hi again,

with the latest version the download from audio and video works like charm! Thanx for that.

Only the progress bar will not work. Mavericks says it's a script from an uncertified developer. As usual i tried to open the script in finder. But the finder would let me...!?

Efty

Make sure that you have your System Preferences > Security & Privacy set to allow apps downloaded from anywhere. This is the only thing I can think of that would be causing this problem. 

Screen_Shot_2013_11_24_at_12_27_06_PM.pn