Luxinate - Download video and audio from YouTube and SoundCloud

hmmm… This is my fav workflow. today after installing the new version 7.0 a something its letting me hanging. the word "Loading' is showing for hours in my alfred search bar. any help will be appreciated it.

Could you check the generated log? Logs are saved to /tmp/Luxinate/logs/lux_[DATE_HERE].log

You can also see the log by using Luxinate while Alfred's debugger is running. Check what some of the last entries are in the log and post them to the thread.

This may help me to figure out why things are bugging out for you.

I just stumbled onto this and wanted to try it, but can't get any files to download.

I don't see anything in /tmp/ nor my downloads destination regardless of where I set it to.

Any thoughts on how I can troubleshoot this? Seems like an awesome workflow that I'd love to have in my toolbelt.

I just stumbled onto this and wanted to try it, but can't get any files to download.

I don't see anything in /tmp/ nor my downloads destination regardless of where I set it to.

Any thoughts on how I can troubleshoot this? Seems like an awesome workflow that I'd love to have in my toolbelt.

Try running it while Alfred's debugger is running. Luxinate will output verbose logs to the debugger and help me determine what is going wrong.

Please post some of the last bits of the log (to this thread) so I can figure out what is causing the problem.

Since you say you can't see anything in the /tmp folder (or more specifically /tmp/Luxinate/) then that leads me to believe it might be a Python problem. Luxinate uses only standard modules in Python 2.7, so maybe your Python is out of date? 

Anyway, giving me output from the logs should be very helpful in solving your problem.

Edited by Ritashugisha

Unfortunatly, from the log it looks like nothing is going wrong. Although you should be seeing some output from ffmpeg during conversion. I don't see any here so maybe it's a ffmpeg issue. What version of OSX are you running? Technically it shouldn't matter but might as well check anyway.

Also during the download you should see a temporary file placed at "/tmp/Luxinate/" if for some reason the download failed because of a messed up signature, it could cause the conversion to fail.

I would reinstall the workflow and try again while keeping an eye on the /tmp/Luxinate folder as well as the logs. Please respond with your findings

Edited by Ritashugisha

The old "did you turn it off and back on again" seems to have fixed it.

I also ran a disk utility repair on the drive, just in case permissions were wonky on the /tmp location, and my test worked successfully.

Thanks for the awesome plugin and awesome support!

The old "did you turn it off and back on again" seems to have fixed it.

I also ran a disk utility repair on the drive, just in case permissions were wonky on the /tmp location, and my test worked successfully.

Thanks for the awesome plugin and awesome support!

Your welcome! That trick fixes basically everything :P

Stupid question, but is there some setting in a YouTube video that would prevent its audio from being downloaded?

I thought this broke again, but it seems that some videos just don't download properly. I get the "you're done" chime, but there's no file and nothing in /tmp

If I try another video, it works fine.

It depends on the video tour trying to download. YouTube sometimes encrypts it's video signatures for specific videos. It's a problem to community at YouTube-DL are trying to fix.

Although it's completely possible that it's a unseen bug in Luxinate. So just to be safe I'll ask you to please post the logs like you did last time.

I plan on doing some major tweaking to Luxinate over this weekend. Hopefully I'll be able to sort out any small little bugs that have popped up over the last two weeks

• 1 month later...

Hi Rita,

First, thank you you for your work, Luxinate is amazing!

I have one small question about the progress bar. Indeed, I had no issue before turning it on in the settings. In fact, when the download is complete the window does not disappear.

Is there any solution?

Shot%202014-08-26%20a%CC%80%2018.42.03.p

Solved the issue  :)

Reboot + permissions repairing

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi,

Youtube audio download does not work for me with the latest version. According to the log everything went fine but I did not find the downloaded file in my ~/Downloads folder at the end. Any idea what's going wrong? Logfile is here.

You need to update YouTube-DL

E1DhkZs.png

Edited by DrLulz
  • 3 weeks later...

This has to be one of the most well thought out and developed Alfred Workflow.  Thanks for all the work you are doing on it.

I used the luxsafari and luxchrome options most often, but it seems to be missing from the last few updates.  

I often used these options for Luxinate because I would often want to download videos after having seen them first and then I could just select from a dropdown list instead of copying and pasting urls.

Are these toggles missing or am I missing something?  

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

x

Hi Ritashugisha, thanks for your excellent work again.

I'm having problems with Luxuser. I get the following debug error:

Starting debug for 'Luxinate'

[ERROR: alfred.workflow.input.scriptfilter] Code 0: [iNFO    ] <__init__, 549>....initialized new set of binaries at (<Luxinate.Binaries instance at 0x10756d290>)

[iNFO    ] <__init__, 549>....initialized new set of binaries at (<Luxinate.Binaries instance at 0x10756db48>)

[iNFO    ] <getDownloadDir, 360>....retrieving value of download_dir (/Users/mattkneale/Desktop/YouTube downloads/)

[iNFO    ] <runProcess, 438>....running subprocess (/Users/mattkneale/Library/Application\ Support/Alfred\ 2/Alfred.alfredpreferences/workflows/user.workflow.ACFE790C-B8A8-48DB-972D-3A57969BFB51/GlyphManager -dark -dark -light -light --suppress)

[iNFO    ] <getAbout, 225>....retrieving config about (True)

[iNFO    ] <__init__, 104>....built feedback object at (<Element 'items' at 0x107582510>)

[iNFO    ] <supportedUrl, 852>....validating url (https://www.youtube.com/user/ernell42) is supported

[iNFO    ] <runProcess, 438>....running subprocess (/Users/mattkneale/Library/Application\ Support/Alfred\ 2/Alfred.alfredpreferences/workflows/user.workflow.ACFE790C-B8A8-48DB-972D-3A57969BFB51/Resources/youtube-dl --list-extractors)

[iNFO    ] <runProcess, 438>....running subprocess (/Users/mattkneale/Library/Application\ Support/Alfred\ 2/Alfred.alfredpreferences/workflows/user.workflow.ACFE790C-B8A8-48DB-972D-3A57969BFB51/Resources/youtube-dl --playlist-start 1 --playlist-end 1 -j https://www.youtube.com/user/ernell42)

[iNFO    ] <buildTransfer, 814>....building transfer object at (/tmp/Luxinate/objs/luxTransferObject.pickle)

[iNFO    ] <addItem, 127>....adding item to feedback {"title":"Download User's Video", "subtitle":"https://www.youtube.com/user/ernell42", "arg":"1", "icon":"/Users/mattkneale/Library/Application Support/Alfred 2/Alfred.alfredpreferences/workflows/user.workflow.ACFE790C-B8A8-48DB-972D-3A57969BFB51/Resources/Icons/_video.png"}

[iNFO    ] <addItem, 127>....adding item to feedback {"title":"Download User's Audio", "subtitle":"https://www.youtube.com/user/ernell42", "arg":"2", "icon":"/Users/mattkneale/Library/Application Support/Alfred 2/Alfred.alfredpreferences/workflows/user.workflow.ACFE790C-B8A8-48DB-972D-3A57969BFB51/Resources/Icons/_audio.png"}

[iNFO    ] <__repr__, 112>....retrieving feedback object (<items><item arg="1" autocomplete="" uid="0" valid=""><title>Download User's Video</title><subtitle>https://www.youtube.com/user/ernell42</subtitle><icon>/Users/mattkneale/Library/Application Support/Alfred 2/Alfred.alfredpreferences/workflows/user.workflow.ACFE790C-B8A8-48DB-972D-3A57969BFB51/Resources/Icons/_video.png</icon></item><item arg="2" autocomplete="" uid="1" valid=""><title>Download User's Audio</title><subtitle>https://www.youtube.com/user/ernell42</subtitle><icon>/Users/mattkneale/Library/Application Support/Alfred 2/Alfred.alfredpreferences/workflows/user.workflow.ACFE790C-B8A8-48DB-972D-3A57969BFB51/Resources/Icons/_audio.png</icon></item></items>)

[iNFO: alfred.workflow.input.scriptfilter] Processing output 'alfred.workflow.action.script' with arg '1'

Edited by MattKneale

Thanks for the support!

The current version of Luxinate (ver7) is kind of spotty when it comes to handling the LuxPlaylist and LuxUser options.

Due to recent updates to youtube-dl, there are now options in youtube-dl that can help Luxinate handle these kinds of requests much easier.

I've been working on Luxinate v8 for a little while now; this new version should handle many of the recent issues.

Since v8 relies mainly on the new version of The Alfred Bundler (which is currently in development) to handle utilities and icons, Luxinate v8 should be much cleaner and run much smoother than the previous versions of Luxinate.

Until I can release Luxinate v8, the LuxUser option may be failing due to the recent options added to youtube-dl.

The best way to download these videos now would be to run youtube-dl from the command line.

cd /Users/mattkneale/Desktop/YouTube\ downloads/;/Users/mattkneale/Library/Application\ Support/Alfred\ 2/Alfred.alfredpreferences/workflows/user.workflow.ACFE790C-B8A8-48DB-972D-3A57969BFB51/Resources/youtube-dl https://www.youtube.com/user/ernell42

You can try running the above command into Terminal.app for a makeshift way to download the user's videos to your download's folder, although, this isn't guaranteed to work.

Edited by Ritashugisha

Thanks for the support!

The current version of Luxinate (ver7) is kind of spotty when it comes to handling the LuxPlaylist and LuxUser options.

Due to recent updates to youtube-dl, there are now options in youtube-dl that can help Luxinate handle these kinds of requests much easier.

I've been working on Luxinate v8 for a little while now; this new version should handle many of the recent issues.

Since v8 relies mainly on the new version of The Alfred Bundler (which is currently in development) to handle utilities and icons, Luxinate v8 should be much cleaner and run much smoother than the previous versions of Luxinate.

Until I can release Luxinate v8, the LuxUser option may be failing due to the recent options added to youtube-dl.

The best way to download these videos now would be to run youtube-dl from the command line.

cd /Users/mattkneale/Desktop/YouTube\ downloads/;/Users/mattkneale/Library/Application\ Support/Alfred\ 2/Alfred.alfredpreferences/workflows/user.workflow.ACFE790C-B8A8-48DB-972D-3A57969BFB51/Resources/youtube-dl https://www.youtube.com/user/ernell42

You can try running the above command into Terminal.app for a makeshift way to download the user's videos to your download's folder, although, this isn't guaranteed to work.

Hi! Thanks, the terminal command worked a treat for now. I look forward to seeing V8 in the hopefully not-too-distant future :) Good luck!

• 3 months later...

Luxinate worked fine for me, but after installing 10.10.3 or the last alfred update, luxinate say "no internet connection", but the internet connection is fine! I have update the youtube-dl!

Same for me.

I'm a new user of luxinate, and it bugged me that it said "no internet connection"

So, it's the same here, but it really looks like an awesome workflow!

Luxinate worked fine for me, but after installing 10.10.3 or the last alfred update, luxinate say "no internet connection", but the internet connection is fine! I have update the youtube-dl!

Same for me.

I'm a new user of luxinate, and it bugged me that it said "no internet connection"

So, it's the same here, but it really looks like an awesome workflow!

Hey guys,

I really appreciate that there are still users using this workflow. However, the organization and maintainability of this workflow is very poor. Due to my school and my work, I haven't had much time to work on a rewrite. My plan is to completely rewrite the code this summer to increase the speed and maintainability of Luxinate.

I've posted a quick change to the workflow to fix your problem.

Please re-download and install the workflow! :D

I was having the same problem, but i've got a temporary fix...

So, you'll need a text editor like Sublime Me, Textwrangler or even textedit, and you'll need to go into the lux workflow folder.. 

I typed "find luxinate.py" into Alfred, and found the file. Open it up, then search for "def hasConnection(self):" and change "return False" to "return True" (line 827 of code)

It'll bypass its check, as i've tried changing the IP it pings to to something else with no result.

So it should help you out hopefully!! :D

Cheers,