Luxinate - Download video and audio from YouTube and SoundCloud

▶ Luxinatev7.01

~ DEPRECATED ~

This workflow is currently not supported...

Luxinate is an Alfred.v2 workflow designed to automate the use of "youtube-dl" and "ffmpeg" to download streamed media from a large set of supported sites.

— QUICK OVERVIEW
Luxinate has several available options.
Screen_Shot_2014_06_28_at_9_17_00_PM.png
The default "Luxinate" option will allow you to download video, audio, or even both!
Screen_Shot_2014_06_28_at_9_18_06_PM.png
The "Advanced Luxinate" action modifier will allow you to select a specific download quality or format.
Screen_Shot_2014_06_28_at_9_18_19_PM.png
Several built in settings allows you to configure Luxinate to your personal preference.
Screen_Shot_2014_06_28_at_9_18_35_PM.png
All of your downloads will be saved for your future reference.
Screen_Shot_2014_06_28_at_9_19_08_PM.png

▶ Download v7.01

~ Enjoy Ritashugisha

— View on Github
— Previous Versions

Edited by Ritashugisha

How do I change the directory the files are downloaded to ?

How can I change youtube-dl options to better fit my needs (i.e. always download the highest quality format available)?

Thank you.

Future versions of Luxinate are going to include a settings option that will allow the user to...

• Set the path downloads are saved
  • and more... (Suggestions are greatly appreciated)

As a temporary fix to your problem:

• Open the workflow folder for Luxinate
  • Open "LuxinateProc.py" in a text editor
  • On line 45 change the global variable DOWNLOADS to the path where files will be saved

Screen_Shot_2013_10_13_at_11_17_09_AM.pn

(If your path includes spaces, then put your path inside of the "formatSpaces()" definition)

To change youtube-dl to fit your needs requires some background knowledge about youtube-dl itself. 

If you want to know more about youtube-dl I would recommend reading this as well as the source code itself.

To answer your question "(i.e. always download the highest quality format available)"

youtube-dl defaults to downloading the highest quality available as stated on youtube-dl's FAQ.

Screen_Shot_2013_10_13_at_11_27_09_AM.pn

Thank you for your feedback!

Edited by Ritashugisha

Awesome. Thank you. 

What do you mean by "put your path inside of the "formatSpaces()" definition" ?

I see three "formatSpaces()" definitions. Sorry, newbie here  :) 

About youtube-dl: I was thinking of an action modifier linked to one option. 

For example: an Alfred user would be able to set the following preferences:

-"When hitting Cmd+Enter, I download the video in  the highest quality format available". 

-"When hitting Alt+Enter, I download the video the X format".

youtube-dl options look more interesting when using the shell. 

Awesome. Thank you. 

What do you mean by "put your path inside of the "formatSpaces()" definition" ?

I see three "formatSpaces()" definitions. Sorry, newbie here  :) 

About youtube-dl: I was thinking of an action modifier linked to one option. 

For example: an Alfred user would be able to set the following preferences:

-"When hitting Cmd+Enter, I download the video in  the highest quality format available". 

-"When hitting Alt+Enter, I download the video the X format".

youtube-dl options look more interesting when using the shell. 

So for example:

If I wanted to set my downloads to be saved to the path "/Users/ritashugisha/Desktop/LuxinateDownloads/"  I would modify line 45 to the following:

Screen_Shot_2013_10_13_at_5_03_15_PM.png

On the other hand, if I wanted downloads to go to the directory "/Users/ritashugisha/Desktop/Luxinate Downloads/" (notice the space between Luxinate and Downloads) I would modify line 45 to look like the following:

Screen_Shot_2013_10_13_at_5_06_47_PM.png

As for your idea with action filters, I have made plans to create an advanced downloading process in the next update.

youtube-dl's options are vast but limited at the same time. Post processing options as well as authentication options I tend to stay away from.

Using FFMPEG the way I need it to be used is much faster and effective than using youtube-dl's built in post processing.

The theme used in the demonstration is Rayless by Humanoidism. You can download the theme here.

• 2 weeks later...

Just updated to the newest version. 

This workflow is getting better and better  :)

What is luxadvanced supposed to be doing ?

Changed the keyword to "luxa", typed "luxa", got a please wait subtext, nothing happened.

Only got my three fallback searches.

"luxadvanced" is meant to only be used as an action modifier to the default "lux" option.

Let me explain how "►luxadvanced" operates.

When you enter a url into "lux" you get 1 or 3 options...Screen_Shot_2013_10_29_at_10_05_00_AM.pn

When the action modifier is applied to one of these options, "luxadvanced" will start.

I believe that the default action modifier key is ⌘. 

After selecting the option you want while using the action modifier key you should see a window that resembles this...

Screen_Shot_2013_10_29_at_10_11_45_AM.pn

In this loading window, the original "lux" is saving the data to a temporary text file and then prompting Alfred 2 to search for an option named "►luxadvanced".

For this reason, "luxadvanced" must be named "►luxadvanced".

After "luxadvanced" reads the text file with the data, it will generate options specific to the data supplied, then it will prompt the user to pick one of these options.

Screen_Shot_2013_10_29_at_10_11_50_AM.pn

Selecting one of these options will allow you to download custom formats of video or audio.

So to fix your problem, change your keyword "luxa" back to "►luxadvanced" so that Alfred can find the option successfully.

Then if you want to engage "►luxadvanced" just use the action modifier key on a default "lux" option.

Edited by Ritashugisha
Hi Ritashugisha!

Since you've been asking for feature requests... I understand that the workflow will always download the highest quality version, no matter what format. I personally always want the same format and I use luxadvanced to make sure I get that (and not some other format, even if it is a higher quality version).

Maybe it would be nice if we could set a default "favorite" format, so that we can skip luxadvanced to make it even faster ;) if we want a different format for whatever reason, we could still use luxadvanced.

It's just an idea, but it could be useful to people like me who always want the same format (highest quality mp4 in my case).

Thanks for your continued work on this! :)

Hi Ritashugisha!

Since you've been asking for feature requests... I understand that the workflow will always download the highest quality version, no matter what format. I personally always want the same format and I use luxadvanced to make sure I get that (and not some other format, even if it is a higher quality version).
Maybe it would be nice if we could set a default "favorite" format, so that we can skip luxadvanced to make it even faster ;) if we want a different format for whatever reason, we could still use luxadvanced.

It's just an idea, but it could be useful to people like me who always want the same format (highest quality mp4 in my case).

Thanks for your continued work on this! :)

Good suggestion. I had this feature in mind a while back but never thought anyone would want to mess around with custom downloads that much.

Your feature will be in the next update!

Luxinate version [3.4.1] is out and available for download!

New updates include:

1. YouTube video title query feature
  2. Playlist download feature
  3. Ability to set default download formats for video and audio
  4. Many bug fixes

This version may still contain bugs (especially with the new features)

So if any bugs are found, then please notify me immediately via this thread.

Nice workflow! Any change to get bandcamp on board as well?

As of now, youtube-dl's extractor for Bandcamp media is basically broken.

Luxinate can download Bandcamp media if:

1. The URL is similar to this "http://brove.bandcamp.com/track/alone"
  2. The song is listed as free on Bandcamp
  3. The webpage refers to bandcamp, not some other site

Sorry that I can't fix this to work on all media available on Bandcamp.

If youtube-dl's extractors get updated Ill make sure to find a way to modify the extractors for Bandcamp.

Downloads don't seem to work with me.

1.) I set the downloads folder via luxsettings to the desired folder

2.) I download a song, lets say lux https://soundcloud.com/goldfishlive/goldfish-one-million-views

3.) I get a notification saying the song is being downloaded

4.) I get a notification saying the download is completed

But the song is not in the folder I specified in step 1, and after searching for several minutes I cannot seem to find it anywhere.

Anyone else having a similar issue?

Downloads don't seem to work with me.

1.) I set the downloads folder via luxsettings to the desired folder

2.) I download a song, lets say lux https://soundcloud.com/goldfishlive/goldfish-one-million-views

3.) I get a notification saying the song is being downloaded

4.) I get a notification saying the download is completed

But the song is not in the folder I specified in step 1, and after searching for several minutes I cannot seem to find it anywhere.

Anyone else having a similar issue?

Can you please give me the path to the new downloads folder you set in luxsettings?

It may contain characters that I didn't know should be supported for console use.