iPhone Simulator not found

Hi,

My problem is that "iPhone Simulator.app" in /Application/Xcode.app/Contents/Applications cannot be found.

I tried other apps like "Application Loader.app" in the same directory, and this works.

The other one not findable is "Printer Simulator.app".

This seems to me that there is a "exclude pattern" list there where the word "simulator" is in.

Or is it some environmental issue?

I'm using 10.8.3

As the iPhone Simulator is bundled within Xcode, it's likely that you'll just need to add /Application/Xcode.app/Contents/Applications to your Alfred search scope. Try that and see if it works.

Also worth checking that Spotlight is finding both of these, as Alfred definitely isn't discriminating against simulators ;)

I see that path is in the Search Scope by default. And surely, I didn't remove it. The weird thing is "Application Loader.app" in that directory can be found.

And Spotlight also acts the same, so is it kind of a Spotlight bug?

BTW, I found "iPhone Simulator.app" in /Application/Xcode.app/Contents/Applications is a link, the real path is in /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/iPhoneSimulator.platform/Developer/Applications. Anyway, adding that to the Search Scope doesn't help.

Well, if no solution/explanation to that, adding a workflow for that always works, but it's better to know why.

(Am I the only one with this problem?)

I'm having a similar problem with microsoft office applications. They are under /Applications/Microsoft Office 2011/*. I've tried adding the path to the Search Scope but the applications are not showing up. In my case spotlight finds them correctly.

I just checked the same happens to any application in a subfolder of /Applications. 

I'm having a similar problem with microsoft office applications. They are under /Applications/Microsoft Office 2011/*. I've tried adding the path to the Search Scope but the applications are not showing up. In my case spotlight finds them correctly.

I just checked the same happens to any application in a subfolder of /Applications. 

I guess it's something different. Alfred is based on Spotlight, if they act differently, I think there will be something they can check.

Just adding that I also have this issue. I hadn't worked on anything in the simulator yet since installing v2, and just noticed this issue today. I have both paths (the default: /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Applications & /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/iPhoneSimulator.platform/Developer....) and the iPhone/iOS Simulator isn't showing up. Other apps do show though, like Instruments and FileMerge.

After spending some time investigating this issue a few days ago, it appears that Apple have (either through a bug or conscious decision) removed all metadata for the iOS/iPhone Simulator app. As such, no amount of adding paths to the search scope will allow you to find it.

I've created a quick workflow which will allow you to launch it easily. The keyword is "iphone" but feel free to change this. You could also add a hotkey to launch with just a hotkey. :)

iPhone Simulator launcher workflow

After spending some time investigating this issue a few days ago, it appears that Apple have (either through a bug or conscious decision) removed all metadata for the iOS/iPhone Simulator app. As such, no amount of adding paths to the search scope will allow you to find it.

I've created a quick workflow which will allow you to launch it easily. The keyword is "iphone" but feel free to change this. You could also add a hotkey to launch with just a hotkey. :)

iPhone Simulator launcher workflow

I've been aware of that since it doesn't appear in Spotlight either. Thanks for your effort.

This is different to the iPhone Simulator issue, where there's no metadata at all (so no name or file type to search) vs Microsoft Office's apps which have metadata normally but may have become corrupted.

If you can't see the apps in Alfred, it could be due to your Mac needing to be reindexed. Spotlight keeps a cache of apps, so while the apps are found now, the cache would eventually expire and the apps will disappear.

You can rebuild your index by clicking the "Rebuild Index" button in Alfred v1's Advanced preferences (the shortcut will come to v2 later) :)

Ah, that makes sense. Hopefully it's just a bug, but your workflow is a good workaround. :)

• Vero locked this topic