Sign in to follow this  
davosian

How to execute a terminal command for each of the selected files in Finder?

I am working on a workflow which should execute a shell script command for of the documents (*.xml files) currently selected in the Finder.

I did some experiments around it, but could not get it to work yet. Any pointers, e.g. what workflow elements I will need?

I am currently thinking along the lines of first calling an applescript which gives me the selected files, then filtering out only the xml files and lastly calling a shell script for each of the files or alternatively calling the script once but passing along an array of xml files.

What do you guys think?

Thanks for any suggestions / sample workflows.

Edited by davosian

I am working on a workflow which should execute a shell script command for of the documents (*.xml files) currently selected in the Finder.

I did some experiments around it, but could not get it to work yet. Any pointers, e.g. what workflow elements I will need?

I am currently thinking along the lines of first calling an applescript which gives me the selected files, then filtering out only the xml files and lastly calling a shell script for each of the files or alternatively calling the script once but passing along an array of xml files.

What do you guys think?

Thanks for any suggestions / sample workflows.

If you use File Actions you wouldn't have to write your own AppleScript to do that. You could simply press Cmd+Opt+\ and select your action to run. That would pass a tab delimited list of selected files into the workflow. Then you would only need to split it up using the delimiter and run through a loop to hit every file