100s of Growl notifications appearing - instead of 1?

Hi,

When I want to display a Growl notification, 100s of them appear on my screen.

Pages and pages, all with the same notification.

The only way to stop this is by quitting Growl.

> OSX notifications: only 1 is displayed

OSX Notification disadvantage: only 2 lines are displayed which for my plugin is useless.

The notification content comes from PHP code which is started from a bash script. Snippet:

RET=$(php -f ~/Library/Application\ Support/Alfred/extensions/scripts/appname/scriptname.php -- "{query}")

echo $RET >> test.txt
echo $RET

So the 'echo $RET' generates 100s of Growl notifications but

the echo $RET >> test.txt shows only the content that it's supposed to show.

Update: there's an interesting entry in the system logs:

11/6/13 3:47:01.637  Alfred 2[1183]: Failed to notify due to missing registration, queue and reregister

Any idea?

Hi,

When I want to display a Growl notification, 100s of them appear on my screen.

Pages and pages, all with the same notification.

The only way to stop this is by quitting Growl.

> OSX notifications: only 1 is displayed

OSX Notification disadvantage: only 2 lines are displayed which for my plugin is useless.

The notification content comes from PHP code which is started from a bash script. Snippet:

RET=$(php -f ~/Library/Application\ Support/Alfred/extensions/scripts/appname/scriptname.php -- "{query}")

echo $RET >> test.txt
echo $RET

So the 'echo $RET' generates 100s of Growl notifications but

the echo $RET >> test.txt shows only the content that it's supposed to show.

Update: there's an interesting entry in the system logs:

11/6/13 3:47:01.637  Alfred 2[1183]: Failed to notify due to missing registration, queue and reregister

Any idea?

What version of Growl and Alfred are you running? I don't use Growl a lot anymore since notification center and such but I just tested Alfred 2.1 (218) with current version of Growl in the Mac App Store (2.1.3) and everything seemed to work as expected. Let me know what versions and we'll try to get it figured out. If I can't, I'll consult with Andrew and see if he has any ideas as well.

What version of Growl and Alfred are you running? I don't use Growl a lot anymore since notification center and such but I just tested Alfred 2.1 (218) with current version of Growl in the Mac App Store (2.1.3) and everything seemed to work as expected. Let me know what versions and we'll try to get it figured out. If I can't, I'll consult with Andrew and see if he has any ideas as well.

Growl: App-store 2.1.3

Alfred: 2.1 (218)

OSX: 10.8.5

Just re-installed Growl can't couldn't reporduce within 2 minutes (all the time I have today for testing ;-(  )

Not sure if this is the problem, but...

If you're invoking Growl via a command script rather than having it as an "output" in the Workflow, then you have the potential to get many instances. If your workflow is running with a script filter, then it gets executed quite a few times, so if there is a growl notification triggered within that script filter, then you'll get way more than you want.

If that's not it, then I'm not sure what is...