Unable to set Command Space as Alfred Hotkey

I've used Alfred v1 from the Mac App Store for a long time but today decided to upgrade to Alfred v2 from the web site and bought the PowerPack.

I uninstalled Alfred v1 via Launchpad and installed Alfred v2 via downloads -> unzip -> move to /Applications. Finally I entered my Powerpack code successfully.

However, when I tried to set my Alfred hotkey to Command Space, it wouldn't allow me - when I press the combination in the preference window, nothing happens. Other hotkey options (e.g. Alt Space, Double Command) work just fine. Under the preference I saw some text "Some hotkeys may not work, please refer to the help". I looked through the help but couldn't find anything relevant.

I would greatly appreciate if someone could help me reenable the hotkey I've been using for several years. It's pretty maddening not to have it available.

One other data point. I just tried it on my wife's account on the same Mac and in her account I could set the hotkey to Command Space with no problem. Perhaps I have a bad preference file somewhere?

This typically only happens when something else is holding on to the hotkey (previous version of Alfred, Spotlight, etc). Have you tried rebooting to see if the problem resolves itself? 

Hi David, I did try rebooting (twice) but no luck. I looked through every option under "Keyboard" preferences and discovered that the Command+Space shortcut had been reserved by Input Sources -> "Select the previous input source". I cleared this shortcut and then was able to assign Command+Space to Alfred.

I would strongly suggest that instead of just ignoring the assignment request, Alfred helps the user understand what shortcut is already assigned. It would have saved me two hours of trial and error.

I would strongly suggest that instead of just ignoring the assignment request, Alfred helps the user understand what shortcut is already assigned. It would have saved me two hours of trial and error.

I wish I could do that... the issue is, when OS X is using a hotkey or has it assigned elsewhere, the pressed hotkeys aren't even passed to Alfred when trying to set it, so as far as Alfred is concerned, you haven't even tried to set a hotkey.

There is also no way for Alfred to find out what has reserved the hotkey.

• 2 years later...
  • 3 months later...

Apologies for the thread necro, this is the first result for "alfred command space hot key".

I had Alfred 2 running quite happily with Command+Space as the hotkey. Then I upgraded to Alfred 3 and could no longer use the Command+Space hot key. I launched Alfred 2, set Alfred 2's hot key to Ctrl+`, but still no luck with Alfred 3. Turns out that Command+Space was being used by OS X for "switch input source" (even though I only have one defined). I un-checked the boxes for "next input source" and "previous input source" and now Alfred 3 can use Command+Space. In addition, the options for "next input source" and "previous input source" are no longer available in Keyboard > Shortcuts.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello,

I've just got caught out by a recent macOS update grabbing Cmd+Space back for "switch input source" (I think), and after some Googling found this thread and have now fixed the problem. I had a similar problem when I first started using Alfred, at that time it was the Spotlight default shortcut of Cmd+Space that was the problem. 

I totally get that its not possible for you to handle this situation in an ideal way (per Andrew's comment above). Given this though, could you possibly put some text or a link to the troubleshooting guide that Vero referenced onto the General tab in Alfred preferences? Its such a weird thing the way trying to setup Cmd+Space is just ignored, and IMHO I think many (most?) users will assume its just a bug/quirk of Alfred rather than macOS. I think it would be a useful service for users stuck by the same thing and would potentially prevent them from thinking poorly of Alfred. 

Cheers!