Todo Workflow

Todo Workflow

This workflow is for working with todo lists using TaskPaper. Since TaskPaper uses plain text files for everything, it is easy to write scripts to add functionality that the program does not have. You can also use a different text editor than TaskPaper to edit the files. So far, I have the following keywords defined:

t:settodo

This command allows you to set the directory for your todos. It will setup the supporting files and sub-directories as well. This is the first action to perform with this workflow.

t:createtodaytodo

This command will take the everyday, weekly, and monthly todos and combine them to the left over todos from the last time you created todos. It will also archive the finished todos.

t:showtoday

This command will open todays (or the most current) todo list in TaskPaper.

t:showyesterday

This command will open yesterdays (or the one before the most current) todo list in TaskPaper.

t:showfinished

This command will open the archived done tasks in TaskPaper.

t:addmonthlytodo

This command will ask for the day of the month and the task. It will then place that in the monthly todo directory for that day. When a new todo list is created, then it will pull in that days tasks.

t:addeveryday

This adds a task to the everyday task list. Every task placed in this list will be added to the current todo list everytime it is created.

t:addweekdaytask

This command will ask for the day of the week and the task. It will then place that it in the weekly todo directory for that day of the week. When a new todo list is created, then it will pull in that days tasks.

t:doing

This creates a new dated entry for the current journal. It will ask which journal to place the entry into. The standard doing.txt journal will automatically be created.

t:showdoing

This ask which journal to open in and open it in the editor setup.

t:showprojects

This opens the projects task file in TaskPaper. This is for ongoing projects and their tasks.

t:sortdone

This command takes the topmost TaskPaper list and sorts all of the done tag entries to the bottom.

t:seteditor

This command is for setting the text editor to use.

t:newjournal

This command will allow you to create new journal files.

t:showjournal

This command is for opening a journal in the editor. It will ask which journal and give you the current list of journals.

t:settz

This command is for setting the time zone. A list of time zones will be given and you select the one you are in.

t:showtz

This command will show the currently set time zone.

t:next

This finds the tag @next, marks that task done, and adds it to the next task.

t:adddatedtask

This allows you to add a task on a particular date that can repeat also. You can repeat by days, weeks, months, or years. It also shows all dated tasks and allows for deleting them.

t:managemonthly

This allows you to pick a monthly task and edit the file or delete the file.

t:manageweekly

This allows you to pick a weekly task to edit or delete.

t:editeverydaytask

This allows you to edit the everyday task file.

t:addtask

This allows you to add a task to a project that you select.

Version:   1.6

Date:        04/02/2016

Edited by raguay.customct
  • 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi,

I just updated with some more bug fixes and new functionality. If you do not create your todo list for a few days, it will not pickup those that were forgotten about. Still working on specific date todos with repeatability. That will be coming as soon as I can get it.

If there is a function you need, but do not see it here, just let me know. I most likely did not think about it.

Richard

Fixed! Most of my directory structures do not have spacing. So, did not over check. But, two scripts did not have quotes around file names, so the problem was there. Thanks for telling me. Many just don't use it and I never know why. 

There is the beginnings of a new feature in this one, but it is not finished. I am adding the ability to make dated todos with a repeatability pattern. Just recently added the catching up of todos that was missed. Please try out everything and let me know what you see is a problem or omission.

If anyone does not have TaskPaper, there is a Sublime package that highlights TaskPaper todo list and make working with them easy.

Sure. I'm always on a quest for better Mac productivity and stumbled upon your workflow in the process. Not quite sure yet whether TaskPaper is the one I've been looking for though. I'm a heavy Evernote user - Sublime Text too. I guess I'm still looking for the right combination :)

BTW. The setup works now, but the journal actions at least still have issues. The reason I ran into this is because I'm also investigating the option of using Google Drive for syncing the notes. "Google Drive" obviously has a space in there...

Fixed. I was actually able to simplify the code some too. Give this a try. I have my path now with spaces and parentheses and it seems to be working. I went through all the functions.

If you are on the command line, there is another package that works with TaskPaper. It is a Ruby gem. It is installed by:

gem install doing

and you can get a list of functions by:

doing -h

You can then access your doing.txt journal file using the command line or my workflow. Just setup the configuration doing to point to the doing.txt journal you create. The doing format is different than my format for using TaskPaper, but they can live together some. I use my workflow mostly for a medical journal and a projects journal and make the doing journal just using the doing gem. I am alway experimenting with new ways to work.

If you see a feature you would like to have, but I do not seem to have it, just let me know. I might be able to use it also and it will help both of us.

I have my todo folder on Dropbox and it syncs automatically between all my systems (we have 7 computers in our house). It works great. I keep track of my time with my workflow Alfred Timekeeper and sync the timesheets the same way. Works great!

Thanks so much for the feedback.

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Can you add an option to add a task with a link to a selected mail message, similar to Jack James's "r this"? 

Just but a markdown anchor and it will work that way in FoldingText or the TaskPaper when the new version comes out. Therefore, to add a link to this page would be 

[Todo Workflow]()

When viewed in FoldingText or Taskpaper 3.0, it will just show the "Todo Workflow" that is clickable. You can edit the link by moving the cursor into the area or holding the Alt key while clicking on the link will expand the whole markdown to as above.

Sorry I did not reply sooner. I did not see this question before.

• 1 year later...

Hello ! Thx for your work but it's doesn't work for me. When I want to add a new task, nothing happened. :(

Is TaskPaper open to your project TP file? If not, that is why. The first time you use the "t:addtask", you have to have TP3 open to the project file. It then saves this files location for adding to without TP3 open. It stores the project file name in "~/.tpProjectFile". If this file is blank or points to a non-existing file, the "t:addtask" command does nothing. I should probably add a note for the user. Working on it...just added it to my project list

Hey ! Thx for your answer but I have my TP3 open to my project file and nothing happened. I created a "~/.tpProjectFile" with the url of my TP project file and nothing happened also.

The strange is, when I use "t:addtask" with my TP3 open the command bar show me the name of my project "todo" and when TP3 is closed I have this message "Sorry, no specified files".

It would not be a url, but a unix path to the file. Since you saw the name of your project "todo", it was working. Type your message and select the project you want it added to. It will then save the file location for next time and add the task. It doesn't save the file location until you have successfully added a new task.

Can you open the workflow in Alfred, click on the t:addtask box, click the debug button (looks like a bug in the upper right corner), and post the messages that show up. You can read my tutorials on Alfred workflows to understand how they work:

https://computers.tutsplus.com/tutorials/alfred-workflows-for-beginners--mac-55446

http://computers.tutsplus.com/tutorials/alfred-workflows-for-intermediates--mac-60557

http://computers.tutsplus.com/tutorials/alfred-workflows-for-advanced--mac-60963

http://computers.tutsplus.com/tutorials/alfred-debugging--cms-20439?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+mactuts+%28Tuts%2B+Mac+Computer+Skills%29

The last one explains the debugger and how to use it. So, if you do not understand what I mean, definitely read the last tutorial to know how to use the debugger.

Here is a picture of what it should look like:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2sdgc4wf2y540b1/Screen.png?dl=0

• 3 months later...

The t:settodo command will list matching directories as you type the name. Therefore, typing:

t:settodo Taskmator

should show that directory in the list. Just select the right one. Once selected, the other commands will use that directory for the other commands. If you try to give a path to the command, it will dump into general search because there isn't a directory with that name. Be careful, the t:settodo command will create the directories inside that directory for the different repeating task types. If you don't want those directories there, you should use a different directory.