(another?) Workflow for Pinboard

Greatly improved workflow re-written in Rust.

Check out the github page for installation and new features such as

• popular tag suggestion
  • link preview
  • deletion...
  • Automatic workflow updates

Install it from:

Old Changelog (not maintained here anymore)

https://github.com/spamwax/alfred-pinboard-rs

Update (2019-06-21)  0.15.5

• Add option to either show TAGs or URLs in search results.
  • Fix multiple issues related to release of Alfred 4
  • pcheck should now force a network call regardless of when last update check was done.
  • Add a combo modifier for search result to copy URL to clipboard.
  • Fix: deleting a bookmark was not working.
  • Full CHANGELOG

Update (2018-06-04)  0.14.0

• Add support for automatic update of workflow
  • Fix a caching bug

Update (12/08/2017): v0.5.0

• Add support for dev version of Safari & Firefox (thanks to https://github.com/grusch-it)
  • Add support to set toread flag of bookmarks. Just add toread to description/note (after semi-colon)
    p tag1 tag2 ; note toread

Update (01/28/15):

Update (01/26/15):

• Fix the broken option settings due to an incomplete pull request merge
  • Fix not getting title of the Firefox tab

Update (11/25/14):

• Add support to automatically pick the most front browser (Chrome, Safari, Firefox, Chromium)
  • Show the 'New Tag' item at the bottom of tag suggestion list

Update (08/10/14):

• Add (kind of hacky) support for Firefox

Update (07/12/14):

• Add support for Chromium browser
  • Add options to perform search on tags only
  • Add support for private/public bookmarks
  • Add support for auto-updating the bookmarks cache after posting a new bookmark.
  • Download link: http://goo.gl/55917Z

Update (01/29/14):

• Bug Fix: searching should be case sensitive now.

Update (12/15/13):

• Added (fuzzy) search capability.
  • User friendlier approach to specifying workflow's settings.

I am planning to add more features such as Delicious API support.

For details and features please visit https://bitbucket.org/listboss/go-pinboard/wiki/Home

I mainly wrote this so I can learn/practice Go (golang). It uses an Alfred workflow helper that's also written in Go.

The helper is similar to what Dave has for phphttps://bitbucket.org/listboss/go-alfred

Some screenshots:

bookmarks-search-results.png.32c0a98258c364092fe69f69cd6df2c8.png

popular-tags.png.49a411700f6dc68cdf551197343a9da2.png

5abf0c17c3385_quicklook-previewcopy.thumb.jpg.b142d4d3a46285ca9506cbefe815a996.jpg

configuration.png.4eab80de042eb05f16dea798874bfa21.png

Edited by listboss
add new features
  • 2 months later...

This is perfect, as a new pinboard user this is (almost) exactly what I was looking for....2 things I would love to see:

* Ability to add new bookmarks as public (maybe a pset setting for people who don't want this?)

* Auto refreshing ....maybe it hits the refresh script when searching? 

Thanks for sharing!

* Ability to add new bookmarks as public (maybe a pset setting for people who don't want this?

* Auto refreshing ....maybe it hits the refresh script when searching?

Is there any way to search just tags?

I have updated the code to support public bookmarks and tag-only searches, as well as support for Chromium browser.

I just need to get my hands on a 64-bit Mac so I can update the workflow accordingly. (my laptop is from 2008)

So just hang-in there :)

Regarding auto-refresh, I am not sure how to implement it without sacrificing the "snappiness" of searching and/or posting bookmarks.

• 1 month later...

I have updated the code to support public bookmarks and tag-only searches, as well as support for Chromium browser.

I just need to get my hands on a 64-bit Mac so I can update the workflow accordingly. (my laptop is from 2008)

So just hang-in there :)

Regarding auto-refresh, I am not sure how to implement it without sacrificing the "snappiness" of searching and/or posting bookmarks.

Great. I need an option to create a public bookmark to make my IFTTT receipt work in order to refresh the workflow in the background utilizing the new Alfred 2.3 external trigger:

pinboard.png

In resume, when a new public bookmark is made a new text file is created in a Dropbox folder. Then Hazel detects it and calls the external trigger of the workflow.

• 2 months later...

Great. I need an option to create a public bookmark to make my IFTTT receipt work in order to refresh the workflow in the background utilizing the new Alfred 2.3 external trigger:

In resume, when a new public bookmark is made a new text file is created in a Dropbox folder. Then Hazel detects it and calls the external trigger of the workflow.

In the latest version http://goo.gl/FwlFVE, you can post public bookmarks by setting an option first:

pset shared 

and then doing the usual

p tag1 tag2

(more info: https://bitbucket.org/listboss/go-pinboard/wiki/Home)

I will also add an option to auto-update after posting every new bookmark.

Edited by listboss
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

For some reason this workflow launches Chrome every time I try to add a bookmark (I use Safari). If Chrome is open, it will bookmark the current page in Chrome.

I'm running Yosemite btw.

The latest update should fix this:

• Add support to automatically pick the most front browser (Chrome, Safari, Firefox, Chromium)
  • Show the 'New Tag' item at the bottom of tag suggestion list
  • 2 months later...

For some reason this workflow launches Chrome every time I try to add a bookmark (I use Safari). If Chrome is open, it will bookmark the current page in Chrome.

I'm running Yosemite btw.

I have the exact same problem, except I use Chrome (default browser) and it keeps opening Firefox, even after setting "pset browser" to Chrome. Though the bookmark is posted correctly to Pinboard.

UPDATE: It not only launches Firefox, but also asks where I have Chromium.app installed, even though I never had Chromium on my system.

Running Yosemite.

Also, after I install the current version (0.3.7) from Packal, and then run the Packal Updater, it tells me there is an update and then will "update" from 0.3.7 to 0.3.6.

Edited by eightohnine

Also, after I install the current version (0.3.7) from Packal, and then run the Packal Updater, it tells me there is an update and then will "update" from 0.3.7 to 0.3.6.

That's a problem with Packal. Kind of. You need to force the local manifest to update, so open the Packal Updater's GUI, and then force the manifest to update again.

The problem occurs sometimes when there's a discrepancy of the metadata on Packal and what is stored in the manifest on Github. A script runs on the Packal server to fix the discrepancy every few hours.

That's a problem with Packal. Kind of. You need to force the local manifest to update, so open the Packal Updater's GUI, and then force the manifest to update again.

Done. Solves the Packal Update Issue. Thanks!

Still no luck with the Chrome/Firefox hassle...

Though I made an observation, when setting the default browser, thst I get the following notifications for the different browser options:

"Changed default browser to Default browser: safariSafari"

"Changed default browser to Default browser: chromiumChromium"

"Changed default browser to Default browser: firefoxFirefox"

"Changed default browser to Chrome"

The notification for Chrome is the odd one out, even though it has the most reasonable text.

Maybe this is a lead as to why I'm having issues with Chrome?

Additionally, when trying to run the workflow from Safari set as the default browser, it still forces Firefox to open.

UPDATE: Even more troubleshooting.

After I removed Firefox completely from my system, and then tried to run the workflow, I get a dialogue window asking me where to find Firefox.app. If I dismiss the window, the notification does read "Successfully posted %v exit status 1 exit status 1". The bookmark is then NOT posted to Pinboard.

Edited by eightohnine