Not working: Define selected text in Dictionary

Thanks @Ritashugisha, unfortunately I couldn't make it work either. Basically I want to create a script that diplays the OSX Thesaurus for the selected text. Trying to get the Dictionary to open is just the first step.

Thanks @Ritashugisha, unfortunately I couldn't make it work either. Basically I want to create a script that diplays the OSX Thesaurus for the selected text. Trying to get the Dictionary to open is just the first step.

See if this script will work for you:

tell application "Dictionary"
	activate
end tell
open location "dict://" & "{query}"
tell application "System Events"
	tell process "Dictionary"
		tell menu bar 1
			tell menu bar item "Search"
				tell menu "Search"
					click menu item "Oxford American Writer's Thesaurus"
				end tell
			end tell
		end tell
	end tell
end tell

On Mavericks, the "all" tab that is open immediately helps. You could actually just use the URI scheme by running it as a bash script that uses the command:

"open dict://{query}"

Or you could use the "run command in terminal" action. Either way, it's pretty simple.

This is funny: I open Alfred2 in order to make a quick example for a more elegant way for you to do this, and I realized that I had been writing something similar several months ago and hadn't finished it. Well, mine was querying the dictionary file itself with a python library, but if I ever finish it, then I'll post that, but, here's is a more elegant solution for you:

dict.png

As you can see, you can run terminal commands just as a "bash script"

So, this workflow just consists of a keyword that links to a bash script with only one line:

open dict://{query}

And that should do it.