Packal: Workflow and Theme Repository

Something has appeared recently in which the filesystem randomly loses icons. I've taken to just downloading the workflow and re-uploading the icon sitting in there to fix it. I have no clue as to why it's happening, though.

That's a lie, actually, I have several ideas, but I haven't had time to rule any of them out. I'm hoping that, in the next couple of month, I'll get some time to redo the backend and a few other things that will make it so that some of the "fixes" that I've done (read: hacks) can be sorted out into reliably.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Shawn,

I have submitted a new version on Packal for my workflow (Uni Call). I did receive the confirmation email from your Packal bot, and the status on admin page also says `Published`. However, my workflow page on Packal still displays the old information with a broken icon.

Any idea?

Best regards,

Guan

I'm not exactly sure what happened, but the site started to do things like that a little while ago. I've been just going on and fixing it manually. Something must have happened when I upgraded some module (the Packal site is a Drupal 7 installation).

Over the last few weeks, however, I've been experimenting with rewriting the site from the ground-up in ways that will make any of these issues moot.

For now, I went in and re-uploaded the icon and flushed the caches, so everything should look right.

Sorry about the bugs.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi,

When I execute 'packal' via Alfred and select to update packages, my firewall immediately reports a number of outbound connection attempts. Destination sites have included google.com, maps.google.com, and the Android marketplace. Can anyone shed light on what's happening?

Otherwise, Packal is great!

Packal tries a number of ways to ping Google to check to see if there is an active Internet connection. If there isn't one, then it offers different options. It should also try to reach out to Github because Packal pushes its archive onto GH. But there is nothing in the code that would make it try to reach the Android Marketplace or maps.google.com. My only guesses are that your firewall is misidentifying the google homepage with either of those based on IPs (this is just a thought) or that another service is hitting those at a similar time because there is nothing in the code that reaches to either of those places.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

It's some weirdness with the metadata. I promise you that it will never actually "downgrade" a workflow because it will always get the most recent copy from the github repo. There's just a weird metadata mismatch between the master manifest and workflow right now that might sort itself out (based on a periodic cron job that does a correction for this problem).

The problem actually comes from when workflow authors update the workflow and then go back and update the workflow version because updating the text fields doesn't queue the expensive backend processing on the server that re-packages the workflows and re-builds the manifest files.

Hopefully I'll be able to roll-out the newer version of Packal sometime soon that will take care of these problems, but, for now, it's nothing to worry about. It's just annoying.

• 3 months later...

It's some weirdness with the metadata. I promise you that it will never actually "downgrade" a workflow because it will always get the most recent copy from the github repo. There's just a weird metadata mismatch between the master manifest and workflow right now that might sort itself out (based on a periodic cron job that does a correction for this problem).

The problem actually comes from when workflow authors update the workflow and then go back and update the workflow version because updating the text fields doesn't queue the expensive backend processing on the server that re-packages the workflows and re-builds the manifest files.

Hopefully I'll be able to roll-out the newer version of Packal sometime soon that will take care of these problems, but, for now, it's nothing to worry about. It's just annoying.

Any news about the fix for the issue?

Captura%20de%20Tela%202015-08-29%20a%CC%

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Any news about the fix for the issue?

Captura%20de%20Tela%202015-08-29%20a%CC%

Thanks for a great service that really makes it much easier to maintain Alfred. I'm also experiencing this problem. It would not really be an issue if it's just the metadata. However, for me when Packal has updated all workflows (currently 5 of mine have this problem) they are still listed as requiring to be updated, with the same version information as before the update. So these workflows are always listed as "Updates available. There are 5 updates pending", and I do not know whether an update is necessary or not. Would be great if this could be fixed.
  • 4 weeks later...