Opening file via Alfred messing with PS save as orig folder

c41

Trying to work out if this is a bug or a feature I've unintentionally enabled...

In Photoshop CC I have the pref 'Save As to original folder' ticked on in PREFERENCES > FILE HANDLING.

stay with me

If I open a PSD without using Alfred (ie: navigating to it using the finder) this preference is honoured, and if I go 'Save As', the default folder is the same folder as the original PSD I've just opened.

If I open that same PSD (or any other PSD) using Alfred, the photoshop preference is not honoured, and instead of 'Save As' giving me the same folder as the original PSD, its giving me the folder last used to save a (completely different) file in. ie: the wrong folder. Then I need to re-navigate to the desired folder to continue the Save-As.

Any ideas?

Pete

Trying to work out if this is a bug or a feature I've unintentionally enabled...

In Photoshop CC I have the pref 'Save As to original folder' ticked on in PREFERENCES > FILE HANDLING.

stay with me

If I open a PSD without using Alfred (ie: navigating to it using the finder) this preference is honoured, and if I go 'Save As', the default folder is the same folder as the original PSD I've just opened.

If I open that same PSD (or any other PSD) using Alfred, the photoshop preference is not honoured, and instead of 'Save As' giving me the same folder as the original PSD, its giving me the folder last used to save a (completely different) file in. ie: the wrong folder. Then I need to re-navigate to the desired folder to continue the Save-As.

Any ideas?

Pete

That's pretty strange. I would imagine that both ways would perform that same thing.. call an 'open' on that file, OS X would look at the file type, determine the app associated to that file, and open the file with that app. Just as a test, could you try selecting one of the PSDs in Alfred, pressing the right arrow, selecting "Open With" and then selecting CC and see what the outcome is?

That's pretty strange. I would imagine that both ways would perform that same thing.. call an 'open' on that file, OS X would look at the file type, determine the app associated to that file, and open the file with that app. Just as a test, could you try selecting one of the PSDs in Alfred, pressing the right arrow, selecting "Open With" and then selecting CC and see what the outcome is?

Thanks for responding. No, unfortunately that doesn't change anything. Still getting the weird behaviour.

I'm still trying to work out if its Alfred or something else causing the problem. Tho it only appears to have started happening in the last 5 days or so.

Using OSX 10.9.1, Alfred 2.1.1, Photoshop CC 14.2, and Default Folder X 4.6.2. (I can disable Default Folder X tho and the problem still occurs, so I dont think its the problem)

just to tie this up with an FYI. it appears the problem isnt with Alfred as it still happens if I open a PSD with spotlight.

filing bug with Adobe now.

correction - it was indeed a problem with Default Folder X - their latest update (4.6.3) fixed the problem

thanks - loving Alfred!

Edited by c41

just to tie this up with an FYI. it appears the problem isnt with Alfred as it still happens if I open a PSD with spotlight.

filing bug with Adobe now.

correction - it was indeed a problem with Default Folder X - their latest update (4.6.3) fixed the problem

thanks - loving Alfred!

Great. Glad you got it worked out because I was definitely scratching my head on that one :)