Mail Actions Workflow [Updated v0.7]

Much thanks for stepping up when I dropped the ball. Indeed it's much faster for me too. ;)

Cheers,

PL

Great! 

Hi Pedro.

2-It is a little bit too slow. (I think that I could go sometimes faster using the mouse)

Ed. 

What exactly do you think it is slow? The list of mailboxes or the fact that you have to bring Alfred, type the mm keyword, find the mailbox and then hit return?

The list of mailboxes is really fast here.

Anyway, work with a custom list of mailboxes (favorites) will speed up the move process for sure.

Here is a suggestion:

1. Use a modifier key to “Add to favorites"

2. Use a second keyword like mmf or just mf to list favorites mailboxes instead of read mailboxes from Mail

And here is another suggestion:

1. Create a keyword to list INBOX emails

2. After selecting an email a list of favorites mailboxes could be displayed in Alfred so we could select the destination

This way we could clean up the INBOX without even look to Mail itself.

Great! 

What exactly do you think it is slow? The list of mailboxes or the fact that you have to bring Alfred, type the mm keyword, find the mailbox and then hit return?

Anyway, work with a custom list of mailboxes (favorites) will speed up the move process for sure.

Here is a suggestion:

2. Use a second keyword like mmf or just mf to list favorites mailboxes instead of read mailboxes from Mail

And here is another suggestion:

1. Create a keyword to list INBOX emails

2. After selecting an email a list of favorites mailboxes could be displayed in Alfred so we could select the destination

This way we could clean up the INBOX without even look to Mail itself.

All great suggestions Carlos. I'll start looking into that. The favorites/history has been on my mind for a while now. In fact I started looking into python imap modules but eventually gave up on that. Will pick it up again at a later stage ;)

Hi Carlos,

Thank you for these suggestions that I will soon try.

Once I called Alfred and typed the mailbox in which I want to transfer the mail, it takes time for alfred to find the right box (2-3 sec). Anything else I do with Alfred is much more faster.

Here is a suggestion:

I am sorry, but I don't understand what you mean by "use a modifier key to Add to favorites".

Thank you again for your suggestions.

Ed.

Hi Carlos,

Thank you for these suggestions that I will soon try.

Once I called Alfred and typed the mailbox in which I want to transfer the mail, it takes time for alfred to find the right box (2-3 sec). Anything else I do with Alfred is much more faster.

I am sorry, but I don't understand what you mean by "use a modifier key to Add to favorites".

Thank you again for your suggestions.

Ed.

Hi Ed,

Those last suggestions were directed at me (at least I think so). It's something to include in the next iteration of the workflow. Have the ability to define favourite mailboxes and then rather than list everymailbox, you could just list your favourites.

Quick example of what I've already started working on:

1. Summon alfred and search for a mailbox;

2. Using a modifier key, instead of moving a message to that folder, it will be added to a fourites list;

3. Calling Alfred with mf, instead of getting a list of every mailbox, you'll get a list of your favourites;

4. Action to move a message to that folder, action with a modifier to go to that folder.

Still very much a work in progress, but hopefully we'll soon see this feature.

Cheers,

PL

I was wondering if there is an easy way to limit the scripts to just using my Exchange Mailbox.  I only use my Local mailbox for Archiving and do not want the results to show up.  I tried to quickly set mailbox manually in the script but then I get the same thing twice for Exchange.  I could dissect the entire script and rewrite but figured you might know an easy way.  Thx

I was wondering if there is an easy way to limit the scripts to just using my Exchange Mailbox.  I only use my Local mailbox for Archiving and do not want the results to show up.  I tried to quickly set mailbox manually in the script but then I get the same thing twice for Exchange.  I could dissect the entire script and rewrite but figured you might know an easy way.  Thx

Hi,

Local mailbox is referenced in at least 6 different scripts. I've quickly done a few changes but haven't had a chance to test. Locate the workflows folder and substitute existing files with these (backup first though ;) )

I love the idea however with my extensive Exchange account with over 100 mailboxes it is very slow every time I use the extension.  

I'm doing some major refactoring and changes to the way this works and is coded. I'll be introducing Favourite mailboxes and a background process for caching large accounts. Hopefully this will mitigate these performance problems people with large accounts have.

odd bug I noticed, wondering if I am the only one.

If I try to move more than one message it sometimes randomly selects another message to move and leaves one of the selected ones in the inbox ... 

Could this maybe be due to the fact that the order of the messages changes once some are moved? If so any ideas for a fix?

If I try to move more than one message it sometimes randomly selects another message to move and leaves one of the selected ones in the inbox ... 

Could this maybe be due to the fact that the order of the messages changes once some are moved? If so any ideas for a fix?

Hi anas,

that does seem strange and not something I came across in my testing. As I see it, that should happen since it first stores the selected messages in a list and then iterates over that. I'll have a look into it though.

Just tested this again with a bunch of messages and it's working fine for me.

Anybody else experiencing this? 

@anas: Are you doing something else that could influence this? Is your Mac having a large CPU load at the time?

@anas: Are you doing something else that could influence this? Is your Mac having a large CPU load at the time?

Cpu load is normal.

I have "include related messages" ticked in the options, could that be it? I noticed that it only happens when I select multiple messages in an email thread. 

Cpu load is normal.

I have "include related messages" ticked in the options, could that be it? I noticed that it only happens when I select multiple messages in an email thread. 

Hmm, strange. While I don't have that option normally, I've now tested with it active. Seem to work as expected. I'll try and further debug this but I must admit that for now I don't really see what could be causing this.

Hmm, strange. While I don't have that option normally, I've now tested with it active. Seem to work as expected. I'll try and further debug this but I must admit that for now I don't really see what could be causing this.

So it definitely seems to be something to do with that option. When I disable it even long threads copy without issues. 

So it definitely seems to be something to do with that option. When I disable it even long threads copy without issues. 

Right, then I'll try and focus on that. Still, like I said, isn't happening to me in my testing.

Right, then I'll try and focus on that. Still, like I said, isn't happening to me in my testing.

Very odd, any suggestions of something else I could test to ensure the problem isn't on my end?

Very odd, any suggestions of something else I could test to ensure the problem isn't on my end?

Never mind. I managed to replicate the error. I was doing it the wrong way. Simply had it ticked in the menu and not preferences so it wasn't globally set. I'll try and look into this. Sorry for the inconvenience and thanks for catching that bug (don't really use that feature so I'd never have caught it)

• 2 months later...

Love this workflow. Thanks.

I think I've got a simple request. I've created a couple of hotkeys to move messages to specific folders. However, what that functionally does is pop up the alfred window preopoulated with the right command. I then have to hit enter to execute - what a bother! I looked at the underlying script, but I don't understand the arguments well enough to edit the script to pass the parameters directly.

I feel like I just need to edit the "osascript moveMsg.scpt "{query}"" with the right parameters in place of the "{query}" and I should be good. Can you help me out?

Thanks

SOLVED:

I created a hotkey with the parameter set as text and pointed it directly at the Move action. The text for the parameter is "mailbox:account" for example "Read Later:Gmail"

Edited by dp1207
  • 3 weeks later...

Great workflow, I actually am upset I just bought Mail Act-On. Would you be able to point me in the direction of adding to the workflow the following thing, viewing of Read and Unflagged messages? Thanks in advance.

Andre

Update - I found some scripts http://hints.macworld.com/article.php?story=20031226013514930 that were able to get the functionality that I was looking for.

Again the function and speed provided by your workflow excels way beyond Mail Act-On.

Edited by apowell
  • 5 weeks later...

Love this workflow. Thanks.

I think I've got a simple request. I've created a couple of hotkeys to move messages to specific folders. However, what that functionally does is pop up the alfred window preopoulated with the right command. I then have to hit enter to execute - what a bother! I looked at the underlying script, but I don't understand the arguments well enough to edit the script to pass the parameters directly.

I feel like I just need to edit the "osascript moveMsg.scpt "{query}"" with the right parameters in place of the "{query}" and I should be good. Can you help me out?

Thanks

SOLVED:

I created a hotkey with the parameter set as text and pointed it directly at the Move action. The text for the parameter is "mailbox:account" for example "Read Later:Gmail"

Hi,

Sorry for the delay, I've been absent for a while but hopefully I'll have more time in the months to come. I'm happy that you sorted it out though.

Cheers,

Pedro

Great work Pedro.

Im currently using Postbox mainly because of it's keyboard driven workflow (and gmail shortcuts). Your workflow makes want to give Mail app another go.

Thanks lmartins, I'm happy you like it. I created this precisely because I missed those features from Postbox.

Great workflow, I actually am upset I just bought Mail Act-On. Would you be able to point me in the direction of adding to the workflow the following thing, viewing of Read and Unflagged messages? Thanks in advance.

Andre

Update - I found some scripts http://hints.macworld.com/article.php?story=20031226013514930 that were able to get the functionality that I was looking for.

Again the function and speed provided by your workflow excels way beyond Mail Act-On.

Hi Andre,

Sorry for the delay, but I've been AWOL for a while. I'm happy you sorted your problem and are happy with the workflow.

Cheers,

Pedro