Can alternative browsers be designated for opening selected sites?

I used a personal Gmail account and feed my work email account into it. That's where I check all my email, as I have work and personal email in one spot. Lately, my students have been submitting documents to me in Google Drive (used to be Google Documents). I can only view my students' materials in my work Google account - unlike the email, I can't feed the Drive documents into my personal account.  Unfortunately, my school moved to a variant of Google, and Google does not permit easy switching between the two.  To keep from multistep logging out/logging in every time I move from email to Drive, I keep my personal Google account open in Firefox and my work account open in Chrome.

I know that I can set up Alfred to simply open up either the Firefox or the Chrome browser, but Alfred is supposed to be able to do things such as search Google Drive for a specific document.  Is there a way for my to specify that when I want to search for something in the Google Drive, I want to use Chrome, and for everything else, including email, I want Firefox as the default?

--Susan

I used a personal Gmail account and feed my work email account into it. That's where I check all my email, as I have work and personal email in one spot. Lately, my students have been submitting documents to me in Google Drive (used to be Google Documents). I can only view my students' materials in my work Google account - unlike the email, I can't feed the Drive documents into my personal account.  Unfortunately, my school moved to a variant of Google, and Google does not permit easy switching between the two.  To keep from multistep logging out/logging in every time I move from email to Drive, I keep my personal Google account open in Firefox and my work account open in Chrome.

I know that I can set up Alfred to simply open up either the Firefox or the Chrome browser, but Alfred is supposed to be able to do things such as search Google Drive for a specific document.  Is there a way for my to specify that when I want to search for something in the Google Drive, I want to use Chrome, and for everything else, including email, I want Firefox as the default?

--Susan

Susan,

I could be wrong (not a Google Drive user), hopefully someone else can chime in and provide a little more info but I think that this would come down to being able to form a proper URL to refer to the file. Alfred could search the files on your local machine if you used the native Google Drive app on your computer and open those, but it would still open them locally unless you have a way to find the unique ID that Google assigns to files or some other way to build a custom URL to reference that file.I'm not saying that it isn't possible, I'm just not sure how right this second. If you can find that URL, then yes, you could actually make a workflow for Alfred that would allow you to just search that location and open the results in Chrome. You could also make a result action that would generate the URL and then open it in Chrome. 

--Susan

There's a simpler alternative if you just want to open the Google Drive search in Chrome.

Add the 'Open default web search in specified browser' workflow from the provided templates:

Screen%20Shot%202014-02-10%20at%208.16.4

You'll then see a window similar to this:

Screen%20Shot%202014-02-10%20at%209.18.1

Double-click the first object to set your Keyword and the Title/Subtext you want to see when you enter that keyword. Save your changes.

Double-click the second object. In the first drop-down menu, find and select 'Search Google Drive'. In the second drop-down menu, find and select 'Google Chrome'. Save your changes.

That's it! Type your keyword followed by your search text, then hit enter. The Google Drive search page will open in Google Chrome :)

Tyler, thanks but I'm not seeing a place to locate templates in Alfred.  When I opem the settings, I just have General, Features, Appearance, and Advance, and none of those have templates in them.  Where can I find them?

--Susan

It sounds like you don't have the Powerpack installed. Workflows require you to have a Powerpack license

Tyler, thanks but I'm not seeing a place to locate templates in Alfred.  When I opem the settings, I just have General, Features, Appearance, and Advance, and none of those have templates in them.  Where can I find them?

--Susan

Susan,

What version of Alfred are you currently running? 

Aloha--

I'm using Alfred 1.2, and I do not have a powerpack installed.  Is that the problem?

--Susan

Hi Susan,

I order to take advantage of the features these kind chaps have presented you with, you will need version 2 (available from our website alfredapp.com) and a Powerpack license, which you can also purchase on the website.

Cheers,

Vero

Aloha--

Thanks! For some reason, the current version in the App store is Alfred 1.2, so I didn't realize that there was a more current version.

--Susan

We won't be updating the version that is available in the Mac App Store at this time, so your best bet is to get v2 from our website. You can then purchase the Powerpack if you wish, but at least, you'll be sure to always get the latest updates to the free version regardless :)

• 1 month later...