OmniTube - Alfred ⇄ YouTube account automation

OmniTube(v4.3)

Alfred ⇄ YouTube account automation

Description

SCRIPT FILTERS

The script filters in OmniTube include:

• YouFeed lists all of your subscription's recent uploads.
  • YouProfile shows basic information about your account and gives you access to your playlists.
  • YouPopular lists the most popular videos of today.
  • YouHistory shows your recent video views.
  • YouVideo, YouChannel, an YouPlaylist allows you to search all of YouTube.

By using the keyword you in Alfred the following results appear.

Main_zpsb52005dc.png

When you use YouFeed OmniTube will quickly download the required user thumbnails and display your subscription's most recent uploads.
Feed_zps3be0d2b5.png

The YouProfile command will give you a general overview of your YouTube account as well as allow you to view and edit any of your playlists.
Profile_zps9ff84bd4.png

YouPopular will list out the most interesting videos posted that day.
Popular_zpsfbc17007.png

By using the YouHistory option, you can either view your recent video views or clear your history completely.
History_zps0dcaff1b.png

ACTION MODIFIERS

There are many default action modifiers within OmniTube.

• CTRL will usually allow you to add or remove a video to or from your Watch Later playlist.
  • ALT will usually allow you to add or remove a video to or from your Favorites playlist.
  • CMD will give you downloading options according to the highlighted selection.
  • FN will copy the URL of the highlighted selection.
  • SHIFT will allow you to save the video to a specific playlist on your account.

OmniTube v4.3 [Download]

Introduction

Edited by Ritashugisha

@Ritashugisha 

One more very promising workflow. As always!

- While Google Chrome is my default browser, a Firefox window opened during my first startup.

- "youprofile" commands did not work for me. Nothing happens after writing "youprofile"+ hitting enter.

Any other command is working as advertised.

Can we change the keywords to our likings or the workflow won't work?

@Ritashugisha 

- While Google Chrome is my default browser, a Firefox window opened during my first startup.

- "youprofile" commands did not work for me. Nothing happens after writing "youprofile"+ hitting enter.

@politicus

Thank you for the feedback!

It's very hard for me to test features for this workflow since YouTube accounts vary by so much. So any detailed feedback on broken features or problems that occur is greatly appreciated.

• The Firefox window that appears on setup is set to Firefox by default. Since Firefox is so easy to use when it comes to scripting, I have set Firefox to open as default. I hope to allow the default browser of the user to open up instead of Firefox in the future.
  • Keywords that begin with "►" must be left unchanged. Many of the features in OmniTube require automated script filters which have to be set to a default keyword. Other than that, any keywords that do not start with "►" can be edited to your liking.
  • As of now I'm working on a fix to the "youprofile" bug, I think I will also have to temporarily add a window that shows stack traceback errors so users can post errors on this topic.

I'm very glad that this workflow isn't completely broken on release though. Thanks again for the feedback!

Edited by Ritashugisha

I don't know if this is possible but making Firefox the front app when it starts would be nice. 

As I was seeing nothing happening, I tried the workflow several times and ended having 7 firefox windows in the background :-)

So the Firefox window wasn't showing up on startup? Were the windows completely hidden or were they just in the background?

Also did the workflow work after you entered your information?

Sorry for all the questions, but I'm trying to get as much information as possible on any problems. The workflow works perfectly on my machine, but that doesn't mean it works the same on every machine. Thanks for your feedback, any more is appreciated.

@Ritashugisha 

@politicus

Thank you for the feedback!

It's very hard for me to test features for this workflow since YouTube accounts vary by so much. So any detailed feedback on broken features or problems that occur is greatly appreciated.

• The Firefox window that appears on setup is set to Firefox by default. Since Firefox is so easy to use when it comes to scripting, I have set Firefox to open as default. I hope to allow the default browser of the user to open up instead of Firefox in the future.
  • Keywords that begin with "►" must be left unchanged. Many of the features in OmniTube require automated script filters which have to be set to a default keyword. Other than that, any keywords that do not start with "►" can be edited to your liking.
  • As of now I'm working on a fix to the "youprofile" bug, I think I will also have to temporarily add a window that shows stack traceback errors so users can post errors on this topic.

I'm very glad that this workflow isn't completely broken on release though. Thanks again for the feedback!

Hi @Ritashugisha

The same happened with me…

Just to know, I use the same system

I've got Sublime Text as my default .html application. When I log in on first use, i get a page opening on there... Maybe you could select the default browser to open the page instead.

Talking about default browser, I'm a Chrome user and your workflow opens up a firefox window. Any way to switch that? 

Your workflow looks very promising and I'd like to try it but this is what I've encountered so far.

I've got Sublime Text as my default .html application. When I log in on first use, i get a page opening on there... Maybe you could select the default browser to open the page instead.

Talking about default browser, I'm a Chrome user and your workflow opens up a firefox window. Any way to switch that? 

Your workflow looks very promising and I'd like to try it but this is what I've encountered so far.

So your default browser is set to Sublime? or are your .html files set to be opened with Sublime?

I think I know why this problem is happening on your system. After the authentication process I have a custom HTML documentation open up using Python's slightly stupid "webbrowser" module. The next update will fix this issue, but for now could you tell me what the HTML that opens up looks like? (maybe paste a bit of it on this thread) Either it's my HTML documentation or there is a bigger issue opening up the actual searched URLs.

I'm working on a fix to the default browser problem, so now Google Chrome and Firefox are supported. Unfortunately, Safari and other browsers would require that I import loads and loads of source that doesn't exist on a vanilla system (so I'm going to leave those out)

• The issue is that OmniTube defaults to using the "Open Url" action available from Alfred. This action is set to your default browser, so whatever browser you use should be the one that opens the URL.
  • The only part of OmniTube that requires using Firefox (or in the next update Chrome) is the first time authentication process. So if you have Safari set as your default browser then the URL should open up in Safari even though you set up the workflow using Firefox.

I'm working this weekend on trying to get a better functioning workflow out as soon as possible. Lots of potential issues to look over.

For anyone who has the workflow working, could you let me know how well the different commands are working. Specifically the YouProfile and YouFeed commands. After looking over the source I'm slightly worried that these are broken for users on specific systems with specific profiles.

Thanks for all the feedback, it is all greatly appreciated.

• 3 weeks later...

Update OmniTube(v3.8a)

Hey guys!

I've tried to get OmniTube to function better on other systems. (It is working perfectly for me right now)
Here are a few things to note before you update:

• This workflow grows faster after more use. If it seems slow at first then just run YouFeed a couple of times to speed it up.
  • Dark and light icons are now supported with GlyphSetup (thanks to Clinton Strong for helping me out with this project)
  • Icons are setup for light themes on install. Icons will change after about 30 to 60 seconds of using a dark Alfred theme.
  • Every web-browser should now be supported, but Google Chrome and Firefox are the only two that support the account authentication. (the web browser listed as your default will be used to open and view all URL's after authentication)
  • OmniTube now manages all of your playlists. You can access your playlists through YouProfile.
  • The action modifiers in OmniTube CAN NOT BE MODIFIED. So much of the workflow rides on these modifiers that if they were to change it would most-likely break it.
  • I have tried to include all dependencies within the workflow (thats why it is so big), but I may have missed something. So if anyone wants to do some DYI debugging and finds a missing dependency, then please let me know.

Hope you guys enjoy, and as always please leave any and all questions and bug reports on this thread!
Thanks!

Edited by Ritashugisha

This is an astonishingly accomplished and polished workflow. Absolutely brilliant!

I couldn't download it from Packal (where I found it) or GitHub, however. GitHub won't let you download a .alfredworkflow file if it's a byte over 10MiB, unless it's explicitly uploaded as part of a release :( It works fine with other file extensions, like .zip, but not .alfredworkflow for some reason.

Would it be possible for the workflow to download its rather hefty dependencies after installation as part of the setup, perhaps checking if they're already installed? I know I'm overly anal about this, but I've already got CocoaDialog installed in /Applications, and I'd like to avoid needless duplicate copies of it in workflows in my Dropbox if possible. Luxinate bundles a copy of CocoaDialog, too.

Edited by deanishe

CocoaDialog isn’t working properly for me. Getting the following error:

dyld: Library not loaded: @executable_path/../Frameworks/Growl.framework/Versions/A/Growl
  Referenced from: /Users/clinton/Dropbox/Alfred 2/Alfred.alfredpreferences/workflows/user.workflow.F57EC135-8D11-4A8B-A313-24C6BCB4D9A1/Resources/cocoaDialog.app/Contents/MacOS/cocoaDialog
  Reason: image not found
I tried downloading cocoaDialog myself and that seems to be working fine. I looked into the app package and all the frameworks appear to be included, so I have no idea why it couldn’t load the Growl framework. I’ll try to look in to it some more tonight.

Oh, and there’s an error if you’re using Safari as your default browser. I think this happens if you’ve never changed your default browser, but com.apple.LaunchServices.plist didn’t contain an entry for the http url scheme. You could probably just initialize defaultBrowser to 'com.apple.safari' to fix that.

Thanks for the feedback! 

As of now I'm working on a project that will download and correctly setup all dependencies for any of my workflows. So eventually the workflow will be smaller and available from Packal. It will also allow you to use already setup applications like cocoaDialog and terminal-notifier if they are already located in your /Applications/.

This will hopefully fix not only the size and reoccurring dependency issues, but hopefully will fix any framework problems that occur as well.

I'll also look into fixing the LaunchServices.plist issue. Thanks for the reports!

• 2 weeks later...

hey,
i downloaded it from packal and it doesnt work (i only get the fallback entries).

error message from alfred debugger:

[ERROR: alfred.workflow.input.scriptfilter] Code 1: Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<string>", line 1, in <module>
  File "OmniTube.py", line 22, in <module>
    import os, requests, base64
ImportError: No module named requests

The way I had to set up OmniTube to upload Packal is extremely unstable.

I would recommend downloading the version from this thread in order to fix the crashing issue (hopefully). I am still working on an update to fix the size and other issues. I'm close to being able to release it (I think), but I still need to test it some more, and play around with trying to get everything to move faster.

I hope to get this update out by the end of this week.

This is an astonishingly accomplished and polished workflow. Absolutely brilliant!

I couldn't download it from Packal (where I found it) or GitHub, however. GitHub won't let you download a .alfredworkflow file if it's a byte over 10MiB, unless it's explicitly uploaded as part of a release :( It works fine with other file extensions, like .zip, but not .alfredworkflow for some reason.

Would it be possible for the workflow to download its rather hefty dependencies after installation as part of the setup, perhaps checking if they're already installed? I know I'm overly anal about this, but I've already got CocoaDialog installed in /Applications, and I'd like to avoid needless duplicate copies of it in workflows in my Dropbox if possible. Luxinate bundles a copy of CocoaDialog, too.

Dean and I have talked about this a bit, and I've written most of a "dependency bundler" for use in Alfred Workflows. Basically, it allows you to use shared libraries between workflows just by adding a file to your workflow and calling a function based on some JSON. If the particular resource isn't available, then it downloads the resource for you on the first script, and it works well after that. Also, if the user doesn't have the full bundler installed, it installs the bundler for them. Everything is stored in the Alfred Data Directory, which has two upshots: (1) everything is where it is supposed to be, and (2) if you sync your workflows via Dropbox, then it saves your space in the dropbox.

Right now, I have it mostly working for utilities like terminal-notifier, etc... and for PHP libraries. I've been trying to hack out a way to make it happen for python dependencies, but that's a bit less straightforward (read: FUBAR). I'd like to extend this to ruby gems later, but I need to do more research about how they work.

Ritashugisha, if you want to see what I've done / collaborate on it, then send me an email/pm.

Update v4.3

[Download]

Hey guys! New update.

I've now built an installer that manages the installation and setup of large assets.

So the workflow has gone from about 10.3mb to 3.1mb.

When you first run a script inside of OmniTube the following things should happen:

OmniTube will take a little while to install all required dependencies.

It will then ask you to authenticate your profile inside of a separate window.

Then OmniTube will grab your information and open up the introduction webpage.

After these things finish, OmniTube should be completely functional.

Some of the scripts in this program are still experimental (GlyphManager and LuxePrisimPackageManager).

I have the capability to test them only on my system, and I don't release or use them until they are working perfectly for me.

That doesn't mean that they work perfectly on all systems. So if you find a bug or error, please let me know!

Thanks for the encouragement!

• 4 years later...
  • 2 years later...