Workflow to Capture Thoughts and Ideas to a Text File Without Disrupting Your Flow

@deanishe thanks for your help sorting out my code

one Q - if I run the workflow with query $100 for food with the Dollars box unselected, it works properly, i.e. the item added to notes.txt matches the query.  If I select the Dollars box, it appears in the notes file as \$100 for food.  

You only need to select Dollars with bash (by default it expands $1, $2 etc., plus a few others, inside double quotes).

For Python code, assuming you're using var = "{query}" and not var = '''{query}''' or some such, escape Backslashes and Double Quotes. Leave everything else unselected.

• 5 months later...
  • 8 months later...

Again thank you for Capture, I use it constantly,

This may not be a Capture/Alfred Work Flow question,

I recently stopped editing my Target note for Capture with Sublime Text, and switched to MacVim (... A switch away from ST); when editing with ST, the Target file (open and being edited with ST) auto updated with new Captures added via Capture as used, worked seamlessly.  This is not so with MacVim - have to close and reopen - , I am trying to remember the tweaking that got this working in ST, if this rings a bell for anyone, please post it here,  Thanks. 

Edited by Moses

Again thank you for Capture, I use it constantly,

This may not be a Capture/Alfred Work Flow question,

I recently stopped editing my Target note for Capture with Sublime Text, and switched to MacVim (... A switch away from ST); when editing with ST, the Target file (open and being edited with ST) auto updated with new Captures added via Capture as used, worked seamlessly.  This is not so with MacVim - have to close and reopen - , I am trying to remember the tweaking that got this working in ST, if this rings a bell for anyone, please post it here,  Thanks. 

If you are using MacVim, add the following to your .vimrc and it will auto refresh the buffer with external changes:

set autoread

If you are using MacVim, add the following to your .vimrc and it will auto refresh the buffer with external changes:

set autoread

Thanks for replying, 

ST polls files ... Auto refresh. MacVim, does not; set autoload, requires a refocus on MacVim to load the external changes.

Again thanks for Capture, a great quick notes work flow (in ST), 

• 2 months later...

Hi and good day,

Don't know why this isn't working here,

I'm using "cpy  [x] with space, Argument Required.

And the script: (/bi/bash)
—————————————..————————————-

#!/usr/bin/python

from datetime import datetime
import os

notesFile = '/Users/okn/Documents/capi01.txt' # your path and filename go here
n = datetime.now()
theNote = n.strftime('%Y/%m/%d %H:%M:%S')+'\n\n'+"{query}"

theSeparator = '## Notes ##'
theTemplate = '# NoteTitle\n= Notebook\n@ tag1'

if not os.path.exists(notesFile):
   with open(notesFile, 'w') as file:
      file.write('{}\n\n{}\n\n{}'.format(theTemplate, theSeparator, theNote))
else:
   with open(notesFile, 'r') as file:
      notes = file.read()
   with open(notesFile, 'w') as file:
      sections = notes.split(theSeparator,1)
      notes = sections[0]+theSeparator+'\n\n'+theNote+'\n'+sections[1]
      file.write(notes)
—————————————..————————————-
I only changed the path and the if / else argument from dfay.

What am I missing here?

/

with best regards,

Omar KN

Stockholm, Sweden

Edited by OmarKN
  • 4 years later...

Great workflow.

I have edited the work flow, based on the input from different users and utilizing tab \t & new line \n to use it as a to do list.

What I request, is there an option such that I can have different sections in the notes and, based on the heading/ shortcut the captured idea is dropped to that particular section. For Eg. Any idea captured with Due as a keyword should fall into Due section, similarly for TODO, Delegated, followup etc.

If we can achieve the above, this will be my ideal to do list, I can copy paste the content, move them around and this will be available on cloud, and being a text document can be edited from any device.

Due:

26 Jan: pay Credit card 1st Feb.

26 Jan: visit Dr. 5th Feb

27 Jan: Car servicing 1 Feb

TODO:

26 Jan: completes sales proposal for client X  1 Jan.

26 Jan: switch on the server 31 Jan

27 Jan: buy dog food 5 Feb

Delegated:

26 Jan: Provide screenshots - person A

26 Jan: Technical content - Person B

27 Jan: Print & Bind - Person A

Followup: 

26 Jan: 5 Feb - Person A

26 Jan: 9 Feb Person B

27 Jan: 15 Feb Person A

Edited by vamose