Context sensitive workflow hotkeys

mikedvzo

If there is an option to create a Context sensitive workflow hotkey then why can I not assign the same hotkey to 2 different workflows?  Is this a bug or am I not understanding the feature correctly.  If I cannot do this then I do not see the point of have an application specific hotkey since I see no way to assign the same hotkey more than once.  Unless this is only for interoperability with system hotkeys.  

This is not a bug, it is by design.

But I must say: I agree with you 100%. I can think of many cool things one could accomplish if Alfred allowed the same hot key to trigger different behaviors based on context. As it stands, I only use context-sensitive hot keys that disable when Textmate is active (Textmate registers a lot of hot keys).

+1 for multiple contexts for a single hot key.

Edited by Tyler Eich

If there is an option to create a Context sensitive workflow hotkey then why can I not assign the same hotkey to 2 different workflows?  Is this a bug or am I not understanding the feature correctly.  If I cannot do this then I do not see the point of have an application specific hotkey since I see no way to assign the same hotkey more than once.  Unless this is only for interoperability with system hotkeys.  

The current main use case for this feature is to fill a request we get regularly - "I wish I could disable x hotkey when y is running"... for example, people don't want a hotkey to run to launch an app when a game is running and full screen.

At this point, while I have thought about duplicate hotkeys set throughout different workflows, there are a number of reasons I didn't implement this yet. I'll list a few:

1. It may become very confusing if you have non-unique hotkeys throughout workflows with the current way workflows / hotkeys work. Specifically, if you tried to change a context of a single hotkey which then makes it conflict with the same hotkey in a different workflow.

2. Once a hotkey is registered with OS X, depending on context, that hotkey may not even make it through to Alfred's preferences if you are trying to register it for another workflow as the actual hotkey trigger will be run instead. This means that the hotkey field simply wouldn't fill in... also confusing.

3. You can already use a single hotkey for multiple purposes within a single workflow (albeit with a little footwork).

[moving this to closed as it's not a bug]

Cheers,

Andrew