DeskDrawer (Keep the clutter off your Desktop!) [Updated to 1.5]

The option to show indicator is ticked since a long time :P

I tried what you asked :

I put a bunch of .doc and .rtf files on my desk, 13, and it works well ; I can scroll down through the list and so on.

Then I tried again with my files and it's still don't work, I can't scroll at all.

The option to show indicator is ticked since a long time :P

I tried what you asked :

I put a bunch of .doc and .rtf files on my desk, 13, and it works well ; I can scroll down through the list and so on.

Then I tried again with my files and it's still don't work, I can't scroll at all.

I don't know what else it could be, except maybe some permissions quirk. The only thing I could suggest, if you don't mind, is zipping up some of the dodgy files and sending them to me and I'll see if I can reproduce it here and look into any quirks with those files.

I do think it is telling that the files that are showing up are the first of your complete lot, alphabetically. Although I'm not entirely sure what it might be telling me. :(

• 1 month later...

Thx CarlosNZ,i like your workflow.

but can you tell me if i want to add one files to deskdraw in my desk, how can i do it?

e.g

i have 1.txt 2.txt 3.txt in my desk

when i select 1.txt & select shift+cmd+d, all of file move to deskdraw.

sorry ,i m bad in english. do you understand?

Thx CarlosNZ,i like your workflow.

but can you tell me if i want to add one files to deskdraw in my desk, how can i do it?

e.g

i have 1.txt 2.txt 3.txt in my desk

when i select 1.txt & select shift+cmd+d, all of file move to deskdraw.

sorry ,i m bad in english. do you understand?

Hi there,

To move one or more files, you need to select them, then execute Alfred's "File Selection" hotkey, then you'll be able to select "Move to DeskDrawer" from the list of available actions. The default hotkey for this is Cmd-Opt-/ (I think), which you can find in Alfred preferences->File search->"Action" tab.

Hope that makes sense.

I might make some alternative ways of moving files in a future update, as a number of people seem to have missed the whole "File action on a selected item" aspect of Alfred.

Cheers. :)

UPDATE to v1.4

I've just added a new keyword: move — This is exactly the same as the File Action (moves selected items to DeskDrawer), except you just enter it into Alfred's main window instead of using the "File Selection" hotkey. Some people seem to prefer this approach (including many of the workflow developers apparently), so I figured I'd make both methods available. ;)

Very nice Workflow! 

Unfortunately, one thing I didn't like was that I wasn't able to select the files from the populated results, as in select multiple files and email to someone. I had to open them or browse, or something like that. So I changed that behaviour.

Now when I type "drawer", it goes straight to "browse in Alfred" action. That way you still have a list of all items you got in your Drawer, but now with all Browse in Alfred actions, like Email to, Move to, Delete, or any other File Action you've got.

Not sure if it's the best implementation, but if you wanna check it out, it's here: http://db.tt/1JJZiODy

Also, I've created a Folder Action using Automator that checks how many items are in my Desktop folder and if there are more than 5 items (I'm not sure if that's the "golden number" yet), it automatically moves everything to DeskDrawer folder. Since it's a Folder Action, it runs every time a item is created/moved/copied (or whatever) to Desktop folder.

If you want my AppleScript for that behaviour, here it is: http://db.tt/NqO5gKsr

Thank you :D Hope you like it.

EDIT:

OMG! I've just realised that now the Workflow is designed for me ;P I mean, it's my DeskDrawer folder location which is used when "drawer" is called, hahaha. Sorry, I totally forgot about this. I'll update it soon to make it work with whichever DeskDrawer folder location you have. If you want to download it the way it is now, you just have to change the first Script Filter argument to your DeskDrawer folder location :P

Also, as a feedback to the author Carlos, the DeskDrawer's folder default location is out of Alfred's Search scope, so I can't use "find" keyword to get to the files. I mean, of course, if I do remember that the files are in the DeskDrawer folder, I could just use "drawer [filename]" filter. But if I'm just looking for a specific filename which I have no idea where it is, this approach may be bad. 

Thank you again for this awesome Workflow idea :D ~ !

EDIT 2:

Ok, I've already fixed the Workflow :P Now it works with whichever folder location you have ;) Same download link, ok?

Edited by MaximiliumM
  • 3 weeks later...

Is there a way to make the "move" command work with files selected in Path Finder instead of Finder?

Hi there, and sorry for the slow response.

I'm not a PathFinder user, so I can't make this modification myself. However, you might be able to tweak it yourself. The action of getting the selected Finder items is actually just an Automator workflow — you'll see it in the workflow folder, called "get_selection.workflow". So, if there is an equivalent "Get selected Path Finder items" Automator action available, then you should be able to just change the Automator workflow to do that instead.

Hope that helps somewhat. Cheers.

• 4 months later...

Is there a way to set some sort of "Ignore" list? So that I can do a sweep but have a list of files that will be ignored and left on the desktop? I would love to be able to just do a sweep but I have a few folder and a couple files that I want to always be on the desktop. I know I could do a selection and sweep just the selected files, but that's a little more work than to just be able to sweep indiscriminately. 

Is there a way to set some sort of "Ignore" list? So that I can do a sweep but have a list of files that will be ignored and left on the desktop? I would love to be able to just do a sweep but I have a few folder and a couple files that I want to always be on the desktop. I know I could do a selection and sweep just the selected files, but that's a little more work than to just be able to sweep indiscriminately. 

Yeah, that's something I was hoping to implement at some point, but I haven't got round to it yet. Thanks for the reminder, and now I know there's some interest, I'll try and get on to adding this feature soon.

Cheers.

• 1 month later...

Hi,

I just got DesktopShelves.app from the App Store ($1.99 this week) and it works great with this workflow. Just make the drawer directory a shelf. When you sweep the desktop to the drawer, it will appear on that shelf. Very handy.

Cool, good to know. :)

I was looking at this app and went to the app store to find it but could not. Then I realized that this is an Alfred app if I’m not mistaken. I use Desktop Groups which i think is the idea behind the app. 

I notice a fellow bought desktopshelves and I looked at it and it is strikingly similar to desktop group. I’ll have to read about this app and see if it can help with desktop groups. 

I’ve only done a quick cursory overview of the app but I think that’s similar to what I've noticed referenced here. There might be a role in this for me. I love desktop groups but I know I’m not managing the environment correctly.

• 1 month later...

I don't know what else it could be, except maybe some permissions quirk. The only thing I could suggest, if you don't mind, is zipping up some of the dodgy files and sending them to me and I'll see if I can reproduce it here and look into any quirks with those files.

I do think it is telling that the files that are showing up are the first of your complete lot, alphabetically. Although I'm not entirely sure what it might be telling me. :(

@CarlosNZ - I too have been having this problem for a few months now, but haven't had the time to debug it. I'll try to get around to it this weekend. I've got a decent sized set of random files in my DeskDrawer folder; I'll see if I can narrow down which one is causing files to not appear.

As an aside, I'm a bit confused as to what the official version is at the moment. Your website says 1.61, the workflow says 1.3 in the readme title, 1.4 in the changelog.

Edited by jaacob
  • 3 weeks later...

Why is it not possible to make the DeskDrawer folder appear on the Desktop? I generally use a folder called "Inbox" on my Desktop and have a Hazel rule moves files there at the end of every day in order to declutter my desktop. I would prefer to have the DeskDrawer folder on my desktop and then have it serve the same purpose of my Inbox folder.

Is it possible to have the DeskDrawer folder on my Desktop?

Why is it not possible to make the DeskDrawer folder appear on the Desktop? I generally use a folder called "Inbox" on my Desktop and have a Hazel rule moves files there at the end of every day in order to declutter my desktop. I would prefer to have the DeskDrawer folder on my desktop and then have it serve the same purpose of my Inbox folder.

Yeah, fair enough. It should be a fairly simple change. I'll look into this week and try and get something out.

Cheers.

• 3 months later...

Update to v1.5 — A fairly major upgrade. :)

bod8.png

Nice new DeskDrawer folder icon

YES! Now you can. Use the File Action "Protect from DeskDrawer Sweep" or the keyword "protect" to achieve this. (Reverse it with the File Action "UnProtect from DeskDrawer Sweep" or the keyword "unprotect".)

YES! Now you can. (And it looks great with the new folder icon too! ;) )

Additional improvements include:

• “Undo” function to reverse the last “Move” to DeskDrawer or Sweep. (keyword "unmove")
  • Fix for XML-illegal characters in DeskDrawer filenames.
  • More icons.
  • Removed AlleyOop updater support.
  • Default DeskDrawer location is now Home folder.
  • Local documentation (keyword: "deskdrawer help")
  • Miscellaneous minor tweaks and fixes.

See first post or Packal for download.

NB: I discovered that, due to the way Alfred handles the zip/unzip of workflow archives, custom icons are not preserved. So I've had to resort to a bit of hackery to get the new DeskDrawer folder icon to show up. (Basically, it's in its own zip within the workflow and is extracted and inserted on initial run/upgrade.) I think it's working okay, but please let me know if you have any problems in this department. I've only been able to personally test it on Mavericks.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...

Hi @CarlosNZ - Are there any restrictions on where deskdrawer folder is moved (i.e., using :movedrawer)?

I keep receiving the following error that indicates it was unable to move to the location - which is an unprotected folder, located in my documents folder.

595fa85d2caa9_ScreenShot2017-07-07at11_22_54AM.jpg.6a101dfed342fbfebdf9dfc2a0f43ba3.jpg

Any guesses what might be causing the problem? Thanks for your help!!

Hi @CarlosNZ - For those having similar issues as above (re: move), two small fall path updates need to be made to the "includes.sh" file - shifting the path from Alfred 2 to Alfred 3.

Old Paths

DDWD="$HOME/Library/Caches/com.runningwithcrayons.Alfred-2/Workflow Data/ carlosnz .deskdrawer"
DDPREFS="$HOME/Library/Application Support/Alfred 2/Workflow Data/ carlosnz . deskdrawer "

New Paths

DDWD="$HOME/Library/Caches/com.runningwithcrayons.Alfred-3/Workflow Data/carlosnz.deskdrawer"
DDPREFS="$HOME/Library/Application Support/Alfred 3/Workflow Data/carlosnz.deskdrawer"

• 5 months later...

EDIT below: screencast of the bug

Hello everyone, 

I discovered this great workflow a couple of days ago.

Moving files and performing actions work great

I do have an issue though.

Out of curiosity, I tried to unmove a file back to the desktop.

it correctly disappeared from the drawer folder but was nowhere to be seen afterward.

- it was not on my desktop

- it was not in the trash

- it was not indexed by Alfred or Spotlight

It just disappeared completely!

I tried unlinking the desktop from the iCloud sync, thinking this might have caused a problem. And I tried again.

I got the same result.

I should add that I did not modify the path of the drawer folder, just invoking it with a custom command ('dsk' instead of 'drawer') that's about it.

Is this unmoving a file working on your side?

Edit : The unmoved file goes to Alfred's preferences, in a directory where the actual workflow is located

See a short screencast below : 

Edited by Gee
adding details, typos
  • 2 months later...

hey you guys! 

Maybe You can help me! I tried this workflow,......and everything disappeared from my desktop, even the icon of my hard drive. Also, i´m not able to drag and drop anything to my desktop, although I´m able to do this and find my files in the Desktop folder on the finder. I use drag and drop to my desktop a lot, but I´m not able to revert the situation.

I´m running Alfred 3 with high sierra on a 15" Macbook Pro 14,3

Can any of you help me to have my desktop back the way this has always been?

EDIT: Problem Solved!

Just in case something similar happen to any of you because the preferences got corrupted you could try the following two commands in the Terminal:

$ defaults write com.apple.finder CreateDesktop true
$ killall Finder
Edited by pbl4845
  • 11 months later...
On 12/21/2017 at 8:04 AM, Gee said:

EDIT below: screencast of the bug

Hello everyone, 

I discovered this great workflow a couple of days ago.

Moving files and performing actions work great

I do have an issue though.

Out of curiosity, I tried to unmove a file back to the desktop.

it correctly disappeared from the drawer folder but was nowhere to be seen afterward.

- it was not on my desktop

- it was not in the trash

- it was not indexed by Alfred or Spotlight

It just disappeared completely!

I tried unlinking the desktop from the iCloud sync, thinking this might have caused a problem. And I tried again.

I got the same result.

I should add that I did not modify the path of the drawer folder, just invoking it with a custom command ('dsk' instead of 'drawer') that's about it.

Is this unmoving a file working on your side?

Edit : The unmoved file goes to Alfred's preferences, in a directory where the actual workflow is located

See a short screencast below : 

It's a major bug that was firstly reported by me on this post: 

I would like to use this workflow but this scary bug keeps me from relying on it. It would be nice if @CarlosNZ could take a look into it.