Alfred will not learn prefered result

Hello :)

This is a problem that I have from time to time with Alfred:

The usual pattern:

1) I want a particular result and type my selected keyword in.

2) The result is not first so I select it and press enter.

3) Next time it is further up so after doing that a few times a get it to stay first.

But sometimes no matter how many times I select it and hit enter the result will not become the first option. In the occasion

that prompted me to write this I have a 1password result called "something Bandcamp" so every time I hit 'b' I get it as

the first result. Now it happens that I want the 'b' keyword to always trigger a workflow for pinboard bookmarks. This workflow

is one that I use all the time so I I do not want to have to move to a different result than the first every time.

This has happened in the past and I have found my self inventing workarounds and changing keywords to avoid it!

Apart from finding why the behavior is not consistent (bug?), wouldn't it be simpler to have a modifier key allowing us to evaluate a particular

result and set it as first at once?

best wishes,

Dionysis

Hello :)

This is a problem that I have from time to time with Alfred:

The usual pattern:

1) I want a particular result and type my selected keyword in.

2) The result is not first so I select it and press enter.

3) Next time it is further up so after doing that a few times a get it to stay first.

But sometimes no matter how many times I select it and hit enter the result will not become the first option. In the occasion

that prompted me to write this I have a 1password result called "something Bandcamp" so every time I hit 'b' I get it as

the first result. Now it happens that I want the 'b' keyword to always trigger a workflow for pinboard bookmarks. This workflow

is one that I use all the time so I I do not want to have to move to a different result than the first every time.

This has happened in the past and I have found my self inventing workarounds and changing keywords to avoid it!

Apart from finding why the behavior is not consistent (bug?), wouldn't it be simpler to have a modifier key allowing us to evaluate a particular

result and set it as first at once?

best wishes,

Dionysis

Hi Dionysis,

If you have a workflow where the keyword is "b", which you then follow by a space and your search term, just keep typing, e.g. "b peanuts". As soon as you've typed "b" followed by the space, any irrelevant results (e.g. "bandcamp") will disappear from results.

It's more efficient than stopping typing to manually choose your workflow in the results, and Alfred will naturally filter down to only the relevant results as you keep typing.

If 1Password bookmarks clutter your results, don't forget that you can also re-enable the 1Password keyword in the preferences so that you have to type "1p bandcamp" instead of bookmarks appearing in your default results. It also keeps your default results tidier!

I'll move this to the v2 Discussion & Help section, as this isn't a bug, but please let me know if I can clarify anything for you :)

Cheers,

Vero

Hello Vero :)

Thank you for the (as usual) quick reply.

I will follow your advice and try to get used to the b + space syntax but I do feel like having to find ways for going around

the lack of control over the order of results. Is there a technical or design reason that such a simple feuture as being able to force a result

into the first place has not be implemented?

best,

Dionysis

Hello Vero :)

Thank you for the (as usual) quick reply.

I will follow your advice and try to get used to the b + space syntax but I do feel like having to find ways for going around

the lack of control over the order of results. Is there a technical or design reason that such a simple feuture as being able to force a result

into the first place has not be implemented?

best,

Dionysis

It's very much a conscious design choice; you need to keep in mind that this is one very specific scenario and isn't representative of the majority of users' use of keywords and searching. Alfred's knowledge/learning has been very carefully crafted to suit the most natural and common scenario, so that everyone can pick up Alfred naturally.