Emailing files with Airmail not working

Hi,

Emailing with the email keyword is working with Airmail. But sending files via the Email to option in Alfred opens mail.app instead of Airmail.

Airmail is the default email client. I am using Mavericks.

Best,

Fokke

What version of Alfred are you currently using? Support for Airmail was added in version 2.2

V 2.3(264)

The workflow that uses the Mail.app is:

search for file and then use Email or Email to both options use mail instead of Airmail. Airmail is the default mail app. I use OSX mavericks.

I know you've mentioned several times that Airmail is the default app but are you quite certain of that? The reason I ask is, support for emailing files with Airmail is accomplished through AppleScript. In order for Alfred to support attaching files to an email with a client, that client must support AppleScript. However, using the email keyword does NOT use AppleScript and therefore will work for any client. Alfred does this by handing of the task of creating a new mail message with the default client to OS X. If you were to open a Terminal and type "open mailto:someone@email.com", that is the equivalent of what Alfred does. OS X handles the opening of the mail client, and it uses the default. If using the "Email" keyword is opening Mail.app instead of Airmail, that seems like Mail.app is actually your default email app instead. 

Could you double check this setting by opening Mail.app, pressing Cmd+, to view the preferences, then select the General tab (if it isn't already selected). There should be an option there that says "Default email reader" and it should be set to Airmail, not Mail. Could you confirm this for me?

• 1 month later...

Hi. I'm also experiencing this issue, and would like to hear what people have done to solve it. 

In particular, I'm using Airmail Beta.

-I have double checked in Mail.app preferences and Airmail Beta IS selected as the default email app.

-When in Alfred, if I write "email ju***@domain.com", then a new email is opened correctly in Airmail. But if i select a file, action it and select "email or email to.." then Mail.app is opened and the file attached there. 

As a sidenote, just in case it helps, I have managed to create a Print-PDF workflow by just adding Airmail to the options, and it correctly attaches a file to a new Airmail message. 

Thanks!

Hi. I'm also experiencing this issue, and would like to hear what people have done to solve it. 

In particular, I'm using Airmail Beta.

-I have double checked in Mail.app preferences and Airmail Beta IS selected as the default email app.

-When in Alfred, if I write "email ju***@domain.com", then a new email is opened correctly in Airmail. But if i select a file, action it and select "email or email to.." then Mail.app is opened and the file attached there. 

As a sidenote, just in case it helps, I have managed to create a Print-PDF workflow by just adding Airmail to the options, and it correctly attaches a file to a new Airmail message. 

Thanks!

The problem with Airmail Beta could be that the AppleScript dictionary is slightly different for it than AirMail. I think I remember this from before (I wrote the AppleScript that added support for AirMail), in AppleScript you "tell" an application to do something, e.g. tell application "Finder" to do <this>. The script is written to tell "AirMail" but I think I remember that the beta of AirMail is referred to as AirMail Beta and not AirMail. Which means that the AppleScript would have to be modified to work with AirMail. Either that or make a plugin

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi,

If I rename "Airmail 2" to "Airmail", the app no longer opens. 

Could someone point me to the location of the Applescript handling this so I can attempt to fix it by renaming the app in there? I couldn't see anything relevant in Application Support.

Cheers

HP

Hi,

If I rename "Airmail 2" to "Airmail", the app no longer opens. 

Could someone point me to the location of the Applescript handling this so I can attempt to fix it by renaming the app in there? I couldn't see anything relevant in Application Support.

Cheers

HP

The issue was fixed for me by renaming "Airmail 2" to "Airmail".

• 1 year later...

Hi there,

Just downloaded the power pack and same issue here : airmail wont open when trying to send attachements. 

How do I change the name from Airmail 3 to Airmail, by simply renaming the app in the applications folder ? 

thanks !

Francis

You can update to the Alfred 3.1 pre-release (by going to the Update tab and choosing "pre-releases" from the dropdown menu at the bottom) which offers support for Airmail 3 :)

Cheers,

Vero
  • 8 months later...