Drag and drop from Finder

I'm considering switching to Alfred, since it performs more tasks than my current launcher which is QuickSilver.

It looks very promising, however there is a workflow that I do frequently using QuickSilver and does not seem possible in the free version of Alfred, and I am not sure if this can be achieved with the PowerPack either.

Steps

- Bring up popup window with shortcut

- Type name of application (e.g. preview, photoshopt, etc…)

- Drag and drop a file (or folder) from finder into the icon

Result

- The app is opened with the selected document

I tried a similar behavior with Alfred, but the popup window disappears as soon as I start draggin a Finder icon.

I read on this forum something about a cmd-opt-\. But I do not understand how it's supposed to work, and I did not manage to make it work.

Thanks in Advance.

Edited by jackjeff

No, you cannot do it with Alfred in the exact manner you describe. The option you’ve read about (if we’re talking about the same thing), would work in the following way:

• Select a file in the Finder.
  • Press a shortcut. An Alfred window will appear with several options.
  • You pick “Open with…”.
  • You select the application.

Both steps 2 and 3 will leave you in a state where you’re in a search field with immediate feedback, though, meaning you can type to quickly access those options. Step 2 can also be cut entirely with a workflow — but you’d have to setup up one to use the specific application you want to open your file with; those are extremely simple to do, and there are already a bunch of them in these forums.

In sum, it is possible to do it quickly, yes, but you’d have to reverse your action — instead of picking the application and then the file, you need to pick the file and then the application (in this case, the action of opening with a certain application).

• 1 month later...

I, like Jackjeff, have made an account just to request this functionality :) All I want is for the Alfred window to not disappear when I begin a drag, and for it to be a valid drop target. In Quicksilver I can even start a drag, hit the Quicksilver hotkey, type an application name, and drop the file I've been holding the whole time. In Alfred I can bring up the window but it won't let me type while dragging.

Vitor, I'm not sure what you mean in your step 2. What shortcut do I press to get this window with options? Jackjeff mentioned cmd+opt+\, but for me this opens 1Password and I don't see any shortcuts like this in the Alfred preferences. Does it require the Powerpack?

Thanks!