Yep. That's not __really__ a bug with the updater but a bug with Packal as Dean pointed out. I need to change something about the submission process, but, for now, I've written a little script that is a corrective on the server, although, it's exiting too quickly, so there's also a bug in that.

I'm about to get in a car to drive somewhere with a beach and an internet connection (the latter is most important for the quarter final cup games), and I'll see if I can work out the kink in the script there.

I had to turn off error reporting since you use mktime, which is depreciated. I'm running PHP 5.6.

Once turned off, it is working fine. Thanks.

You can not set the number of backups to zero. I have it one one right now, but zero would be better for me.

The option for no backups will be there in the next minor update along with a few other tweaks.

I've confined myself to PHP <= 5.5, so it should work with 5.3 to 5.5. What is mktime deprecated in favor of for 5.6? Also, I didn't see it here: http://www.php.net/manual/en/migration56.deprecated.php.

I believe the error is misleading. Here is the note about it in my Dash:

Note:

As of PHP 5.1, when called with no arguments, mktime() throws an E_STRICT notice: use the time() function instead.

You must be using it somewhere without arguments. I run strict to catch everything in my development.

I'll look into it and give it a fix.

(I used it in two places without arguments -- you have to love grep)

Edited by Shawn Rice
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm updating the Packal Workflow Search and it reckons that it's upgrading from 1.1.3 => 1.1.2

And so every time I look at the updater, it seems to need updating.

Sorry, I've been pulled in several directions so I just got the chance to finish writing that script to do the version corrections on the server. It runs once an hour, so version mismatches shouldn't exist any longer than that. It seems to have fixed it on my end, so let me know if it doesn't work on yours.

You might have to refresh the manifest on your side.

How? Same problem here.

It should update on a daily basis. If you're using Mavericks, you can open the GUI and click "update manifest" while in the status tab. I thought that I coded in a way to update it manually from the regular Alfred interface, but it looks like I left that out (adding to todo list). If you really want to force it, then open a terminal in the workflow directory and type

bash cli/packal.sh update TRUE

That will force an update for the manifest (and the directory mappings for your workflows).

If neither of those work, then let me know, and I'll look into another way of solving the problem.

The gui won't open, actually, it never did and am on mavericks. Strange!

I've got also "No such file or directory" as error if I use that command in the workflow directory (it should be com.packal) right?

Edited by gb0

You might be able to get the GUI to work if you remove the directory at : 

~/Library/Application Support/Alfred 2/Workflow Data/alfred.bundler-aries

After you remove that, then just launch the workflow again, and it should re-download the alfred bundler. It might just be that you have a buggy version of the bundler installed.

To find the data for the workflow directory, go to the Alfred Preferences (invoke Alfred, then press cmd+,) and select the Workflows tab, then Ctrl+click on the Packal Updater workflow in the workflow list and select 'Show in Finder'. That will take you to the workflow folder. For me, the folder is

~/Dropbox/app syncing/alfred2/Alfred.alfredpreferences/workflows/user.workflow.28127FC5-236A-4A9A-9FA5-EA2A3C67AA12

But, it will be different for every user. Grabbing the path will be annoying, but the saving grace is wkoffel's Terminal Control workflow (http://www.packal.org/workflow/terminal-control). Once the finder window is open, then invoke that workflow with "ft" for terminal or "fi" for iTerm2 (if it's installed). Then run the command there.

Same here.. And manifest updated over a week ago.  :unsure:

Thanks for your great work and help..

Last login: Fri Jul 18 12:15:38 on console

Daniels-iMac:~ Daniel$ bash cli/packal.sh update TRUE

bash: cli/packal.sh: No such file or directory

Bildschirmfoto%202014-07-19%20um%2008.59

Bildschirmfoto%202014-07-19%20um%2008.59

That doesn't seem to be working right... it should say that it's not up to date... I'll check into that again.

The cli/packal.sh file has to be there otherwise the workflow won't work at all. There should actually be a total of 142 files in that workflow, not counting folders.

Are you sure that you're in the workflow directory? The one where the info.plist is? (Not the workflow's data directory or the workflow's cache directory).

Awesome work, I am really fan!

Still, I would have a suggestion for Packal's workflows versioning.

Since such popular workflows as Evernote from Carlos Alberto Sztoltz are not up to date (8.7 versus 8.0 on Packal.org), the end user may unfortunately doubt about Packal Updater's accuracy.

To maintain you database up to date, it could be really helpful to give both developers and end users the ability to report/submit a new version directly from a workflow's "View" page on Packal.org.

I believe a lot of users as me would be happy to help you with this "version release centralization" issue and free a bit of your time ^_^

Vadim

Well, the Packal updater is perfectly accurate because it will always update your workflows to the newest version on Packal, which is not necessarily the newest version. 

I designed Packal in a way that only the workflow author could update their workflows in order to make all of the releases there as authoritative and official as possible. Since the update can come only from them, it's the workflow authors' responsibility to keep their workflow up to date on Packal. For me, it's also a question of letting the authors choose to distribute their work on Packal rather than choosing for them. They might not want to put the newest version on Packal for some reason or another. It may be that they want the most stable ones on there only. Or they may have come to dislike Packal and decided to stop using the repository.

That being said, I have some code on the backburner that will make it much easier for authors to submit and to keep their workflows up to date on Packal. It's basically a mixture of ways to use metadata from the workflow internals along with some supplement that will allow releases to be pushed via Github hooks as well as from Alfred itself. Hopefully those improvements will help keep versions updated on Packal.

Strange. It doesn't look like any of those were the ones that the Packal updater installed. The updater uses a framework that I wrote called the Alfred Bundler, which makes it easier for workflows to use shared assets such as TN or CD. A few other workflows use it, but I'm not sure how many yet.

Like most other workflows, the updater creates a cache directory and a data directory. The latter is at ~/Library/Application Support/Alfred 2/Workflow Data/com.packal. The Bundler directory is there at ~/Library/Application Support/Alfred 2/Workflow Data/alfred.bundler-aries. I'm on an iPad so I can't check the exact path of the caches directory, but it starts with ~/Library/Caches.

If you delete the Bundler directory and you're using another workflow that implements the Bundler, then its directory will appear again.

Other copies of TN or CD that are in the Application Support directory may be installed by other workflows. But if you get those two directories I mentioned, then you'll have gotten everything from the Packal Updater.

Excellent Workflow! Thank you!

On page 1 of 3 here, you have an html viewer, when I load it, it is called Viewer Workflow, reminds me of Cheaters, I am trying to find it, the former, and find guidance on putting it in a post. If someone can let me know where or how to search for this, please let me know. Thanks, and if it is super obvious, what can I say, I looked for it,

Yep. I grabbed the idea from Cheaters. It's actually an Automator application with a single action that is something like view web page in pop-up.

Just open the application in Automator, and you can see how to alter it.

A few notes: usually the action is follows some sort of "specify a URL" that uses the URL as a variable. The viewer one that I created doesn't have that, but, instead it opens the viewer with a terminal command that specifies the URL.

If you want to serve code locally and use something dynamic (PHP, Rails, Python), then the file to open needs to be in your webserver root. For this workflow, I'm launching a PHP test server that's part of PHP 5.4 and pointing the URL to that (and killing the webserver after a certain time of idleness). You can look more into the code to see how I do that.