(SOLVED) Alfred keeps reseting its preferences

Hi,

my alfred resets its defaultsearch settings every time I reboot or quit/start him. I tried repairing the permissions and I even deleted the preferences files so they can be created from scratch.
Also tried setting a sync folder and my Alfred.alfredpreferences file is synced and contains the right values:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
	<key>showArchives</key>
	<true/>
	<key>showBookmarks</key>
	<true/>
	<key>showDocuments</key>
	<true/>
	<key>showImages</key>
	<true/>
	<key>showTextFiles</key>
	<true/>
	<key>showUserDefined</key>
	<array>
		<string>com.apple.disk-image-udif</string>
		<string>com.apple.generic-internet-location</string>
	</array>
</dict>
</plist>

Is there something else I can try? I dont want to create a new user account (whichever way this helps, it should also be doable on the current account) and I know I am not the only one having this problem.

Thanks guys

edit:

It seems after the reset, that alfred is not able to create the new preferences files in the directory:

/Users/kuba/Library/Application Support/Alfred 2/Alfred.alfredpreferences/preferences

altough it has the rights:

drwxr-xr-x  2 kuba  staff    68B Jul  2 08:50 .
drwxr-xr-x  6 kuba  staff   204B Jul  2 08:50 ..

Curious thing is - one preference is persistent. The sync folder. And it synces whatever changes I make in the preferences to it. I am actually tempted to set the sync folder to the original preferences folder alfred uses, but I'm afraid I could break it :)

edit2:
I chmod -R 777 Alfred.alfredpreferences folder and rebooted. So far so good, preferences are kept so solved for me.
Edited by pytrisss
  • 4 months later...

Hi,

i still have this problem. I tried everything mentioned here [http://support.alfredapp.com/kb:persisting-preferences], except step 4 (create a new user account).

Everything went fine, til my system (10.9.5) freezed and i had to make a hard reboot. Now i can reinstall, reboot, delete, install again, nothing helps. With or without the powerpack. Dropbox isn't installed. Sync-Folder set to ~ or default.

I really like Alfred. But i don't understand, why Alfred is the only app installed at my system, which can't manage his preferences.

Any Ideas, would love to hear from you guys. Thanks.

Like i said before, Alfred is cool and helpful. But the preference thing pisses me off and i can't use it like this because the shortcut is not saved. A pitty :(

Cheers from Berlin

christoph

Hi,

i still have this problem. I tried everything mentioned here [http://support.alfredapp.com/kb:persisting-preferences], except step 4 (create a new user account).

Everything went fine, til my system (10.9.5) freezed and i had to make a hard reboot. Now i can reinstall, reboot, delete, install again, nothing helps. With or without the powerpack. Dropbox isn't installed. Sync-Folder set to ~ or default.

I really like Alfred. But i don't understand, why Alfred is the only app installed at my system, which can't manage his preferences.

Any Ideas, would love to hear from you guys. Thanks.

Like i said before, Alfred is cool and helpful. But the preference thing pisses me off and i can't use it like this because the shortcut is not saved. A pitty :(

Cheers from Berlin

christoph

A system freeze may have corrupted something beyond repair... it might be worth fully resetting Alfred to see if that helps:

http://support.alfredapp.com/kb:reset-alfred

Let me know how you get on!

Cheers,

Andrew

Thanks for the fast reply. I noticed it today, so sorry for my late reply :)

I deinstalled Alfred with AppCleaner. I removed everything from the system called "runningwithcrayons" or "alfred". Rebooted. Installed again. Doesn't work. Rebooted. Doesn't work.

Now i resetted the preferences. I don't have this situation here

~/Library/Preferences/com.runningwithcrayons.Alfred-2.plist
~/Library/Preferences/com.runningwithcrayons.Alfred-Preferences.plist
~/Library/Caches/com.runningwithcrayons.Alfred-2
~/Library/Application Support/Alfred 2

I have this:

~/Library/Caches/com.runningwithcrayons.Alfred-Preferences

Nevertheless. Resetted. Still doesn't work.

Is it, because i don't have ~/Library/Preferences/com.runningwithcrayons.Alfred-2.plist ?

Cheers and thank you and sorry for the "pissing me off".

christoph

Thanks for the fast reply. I noticed it today, so sorry for my late reply :)

I deinstalled Alfred with AppCleaner. I removed everything from the system called "runningwithcrayons" or "alfred". Rebooted. Installed again. Doesn't work. Rebooted. Doesn't work.

Now i resetted the preferences. I don't have this situation here

~/Library/Preferences/com.runningwithcrayons.Alfred-2.plist

I have this:

~/Library/Caches/com.runningwithcrayons.Alfred-Preferences

Did you use app cleaner instead of manually deleting those folders... if there is a permissions issue preventing things from saving, an App Cleaner type app won't flush these through either.

You said you haven't tried creating a new user account, could you also try that temporarily to see what happens?

Magic? After rebooting everything works fine. Before it didn't. Why? I can't understand. But i want to, for the next time it happens :)

Are you syncing your preferences using Dropbox? It may be that your settings hadn't synced so Alfred was showing you default settings instead.

Double-check that you don't have conflicting preferences if you're syncing them :)