To Dropbox 3.0 (formerly Move to Dropbox) + URL to the clipboard

I have a problem getting part of the workflow to run. The Copying and moving the file appears to be working perfectly on my Mac. The problem for me is getting the URL copied to the clipboard. Notification Center just says Blocked. And that's what's copied to my clipboard. The word "Blocked". Did I do something wrong with the setup? What can I do to fix the problem? I'm not a programmer or anything. Anyways, thanks in advance.

I've also noticed that the files are being copied or moved to my main Dropbox folder and not the Public folder I recently enabled (as post #43 mentioned). Just FYI. 

Please, reconfigure the workflow:

1. bring Alfred and type setup

2. select Setup To Dropbox and hit return key

3. hit return key to set the Dropbox Public folder

4. type public in order to easily find the Public folder inside the Dropbox main folder:

tdb_public.png

Remember that you can enable this special Dropbox folder if you don’t have it.

5. In the next step make sure to type your Public ID number correctly (you can right click a file in your Dropbox Public folder and then select Copy Public Link in order to find out yours):

tdb_finder.png

I hope it helps.

It doesn’t make sense indeed. However it can make things slower having to scan the Dropbox folder for a file. At least you won’t have the same file in the Public folder. :)

Huh? Couldn't you just inspect the file path of each file passed in? If it contains /Dropbox then it's in the Dropbox folder already and you don't need to move or copy it. No scanning involved.

EDIT: One other thing. What do you think about having the workflow provide direct links for image files? I never want this sort of page, I want this kind, to allow embedding in forums like these (and even for normal sharing, I'd rather distribute the direct link). The only difference between the former and the latter links is that "www.dropbox" becomes "dl.dropboxusercontent".

Edited by Subject22

Huh? Couldn't you just inspect the file path of each file passed in? If it contains /Dropbox then it's in the Dropbox folder already and you don't need to move or copy it. No scanning involved.

EDIT: One other thing. What do you think about having the workflow provide direct links for image files? I never want this sort of page, I want this kind, to allow embedding in forums like these (and even for normal sharing, I'd rather distribute the direct link). The only difference between the former and the latter links is that "www.dropbox" becomes "dl.dropboxusercontent".

1. I think it is up to the user whether he wants or not to move/copy files within his Dropbox account, much like what happens in Finder itself; anyway, thank you for your feedback.

2. The current link, even for images, is a direct link that you can use in this forum for example. I use it all the time. What kind of link are you getting? Did you change the workflow?

1. I think it is up to the user whether he wants or not to move/copy files within his Dropbox account, much like what happens in Finder itself; anyway, thank you for your feedback.

2. The current link, even for images, is a direct link that you can use in this forum for example. I use it all the time. What kind of link are you getting? Did you change the workflow?

OK, obviously that's completely up to you :-) Would you mind giving me a hand modifying the workflow to behave the way I want it to? If you could perhaps point me in the right direction it could save me some time :-)

You're completely right, it does! I have no idea how I got confused over that one. Must have thought I was doing one thing when I was in fact doing another. Sorry about that!

OK, obviously that's completely up to you :-) Would you mind giving me a hand modifying the workflow to behave the way I want it to? If you could perhaps point me in the right direction it could save me some time :-)

You're completely right, it does! I have no idea how I got confused over that one. Must have thought I was doing one thing when I was in fact doing another. Sorry about that!

If you don’t want that a file inside Dropbox is moved or copied to the Public folder you can add this line before tell application “Finder":

set sCheck to thefile as string
if scheck contains "Dropbox" then return "File is from Dropbox"

I didn’t test it but that’s a possible way to do that. :)

Yay! You legend! :D Gave it a little tweak and it works perfectly! This is freaking awesome. Just so you know where I'm coming from, my use case is either 1) the file's already in Dropbox in which case I want to hit a key combo and just get the direct link to it (without worrying about my file system getting disorganised), or 2) the file's outside Dropbox and nine times out of ten I want to move it to my Public folder and grab the link (usually because I just took a screenshot).

Edited by Subject22

Yay! You legend! :D Gave it a little tweak and it works perfectly! This is freaking awesome. Just so you know where I'm coming from, my use case is either 1) the file's already in Dropbox in which case I want to hit a key combo and just get the direct link to it (without worrying about my file system getting disorganised), or 2) the file's outside Dropbox and nine times out of ten I want to move it to my Public folder and grab the link (usually because I just took a screenshot).

Great! I’ll see if I can add just link to the clipboard if the file is from Dropbox Public folder (source = destination). :)

• 5 weeks later...

If you don’t want that a file inside Dropbox is moved or copied to the Public folder you can add this line before tell application “Finder":

set sCheck to thefile as string
if scheck contains "Dropbox" then return "File is from Dropbox"

I didn’t test it but that’s a possible way to do that. :)

Thanks for this, to which script do you add this? File name?

Is it possible to have this natively inside the extension in the next update?

Thanks

• 1 month later...

Love this workflow and have used it quite a bit in the last months. Sometime in recent weeks I've noticed that the selection of a file is only working when the file is selected in vanilla Finder but no longer in TotalFinder. This used to work for the first incarnations of your workflow. (I tried loading a few older versions of TotalFinder, assuming that the updates there were the issue. However, your workflow didn't accept the selection in TotalFinder even with its older versions.) I have since changed to using the hotkey-trigger where the workflow still works beautifully.

Also, after selecting a file in TotalFinder and invoking "movedb" I can actually see the correct filename and path in Alfred's window. Because of this and because it works with the hotkey I'd assume it's a small matter. Would be nice if it could be ironed out. Thanks!

P.S. Tried this with both v.3.0 and v3.1 – no difference. 

Love this workflow and have used it quite a bit in the last months. Sometime in recent weeks I've noticed that the selection of a file is only working when the file is selected in vanilla Finder but no longer in TotalFinder. This used to work for the first incarnations of your workflow. (I tried loading a few older versions of TotalFinder, assuming that the updates there were the issue. However, your workflow didn't accept the selection in TotalFinder even with its older versions.) I have since changed to using the hotkey-trigger where the workflow still works beautifully.

Also, after selecting a file in TotalFinder and invoking "movedb" I can actually see the correct filename and path in Alfred's window. Because of this and because it works with the hotkey I'd assume it's a small matter. Would be nice if it could be ironed out. Thanks!

I'll check the code. Thank you for reporting the issue.

Both hotkey and keyword procedures use the same script.

Try to reinstall the workflow and you can also try to restart your Mac.

I don’t have time to install TotalFinder right now but if you can’t make the workflow work I may install TotalFinder eventually.

Re-installed the latest version and re-started the OS – all works well and without any snag, from both the hotkey and the window angle, with file-selecting in TotalFinder. I must have botched something up, whatever it was seems peculiar to my system. Thanks for the patience and sorry for crying wolf.

Re-installed the latest version and re-started the OS – all works well and without any snag, from both the hotkey and the window angle, with file-selecting in TotalFinder. I must have botched something up, whatever it was seems peculiar to my system. Thanks for the patience and sorry for crying wolf.

Great to hear it is working.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not sure (using my ipad right now) but I think you can make Alfred index this volume in Alfred preferences.

Yep, you can. Alfred Preferences > Default Results. Go to the Search Scope pane and hit the plus button. Find your hard drive (or just your Dropbox folder, if that's all you want). Be warned that adding external drives to Alfred's search scope can have a small impact on performance. If you invoke Alfred while the disk has been spun down then you may find that Alfred pauses while the disk spins up again.

Edited by Subject22
  • 1 month later...

I am having issues with it saying the URL is blocked but only when I enable Gloli.  Did not try using bitly since it says a username is required.  Not familiar with either of these services.  Any ideas.

Are you still getting any error with Gloli?

I am wondering, since a share URL can be generated for any file in Dropbox (not just in the Public folder), will this workflow let me specify a location in Dropbox to send a file (besides Public) and return a share URL to the clipboard? Thanks.

This workflow works with Dropbox Public folder only.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

I really found the idea of this workflow fantastic, unfortunately i can't get it to work. I installed the workflow, ran setup_tdb, went through all the steps and eventually the notification poped up "Workflow is ready!".

Tried it, selected a file in the Finder Window, toggled Alfred, typed "copy.." the workflow appeared and hit Enter. Nothing happend to the file or to the Dropbox Public folder, Alfred is showing me "Search Google for copydb, Search Amazon…" and that's it.

Tried to restart Alfred (not only quit Preferences), restarted my Mac, still the same.

I'm running 10.8.5 with Alfred v2.1.1 (227).

Do you have any idea what could be the problem (or if I'm doing something wrong?)

Many thanks!

Wolfi

Hi,

I really found the idea of this workflow fantastic, unfortunately i can't get it to work. I installed the workflow, ran setup_tdb, went through all the steps and eventually the notification poped up "Workflow is ready!".

Tried it, selected a file in the Finder Window, toggled Alfred, typed "copy.." the workflow appeared and hit Enter. Nothing happend to the file or to the Dropbox Public folder, Alfred is showing me "Search Google for copydb, Search Amazon…" and that's it.

Tried to restart Alfred (not only quit Preferences), restarted my Mac, still the same.

I'm running 10.8.5 with Alfred v2.1.1 (227).

Do you have any idea what could be the problem (or if I'm doing something wrong?)

Many thanks!

Wolfi

When you select a file in Finder, then bring Alfred, you should see something like the screenshot below:

copytodb4.png

The file that will be copied to the Dropbox Public folder.

Make sure to select a file and make sure to deselect any file on Mountain Lion desktop (there is a bug regarding file selection and Finder…).

If the file is displayed in Alfred then there is a chance the workflow was not set properly. Run setup again. Take screenshots if you want to share with me. 

Thanks for the very quick response!

I noticed, that when I select the file, shortcut Alfred and type "copydb" the option will only be displayed BEFORE finishing the text - I attached 2 Screenshots.. Also there is no path displayed like in your screenshot.

1.jpg

2.jpg

Edited by wolfi2804