File list to Applescript

I'm new to workflows so apply the usual excuses

I want to make a simple workflow where I can select a number of files on the desktop and then press a shortcut to get them into Alfred where I then can launch the actual workflow.

I've used a file action which then passes the result to an applescript - since I'm trying to get this to work it looks like this

on alfred_script(fileList)
    display dialog ("Hello " & the number of items in fileList)
    display dialog (fileList as text)
    repeat with currentFile in fileList
        display dialog ("Loop " & currentFile)
    end repeat
end alfred_script

I got a bit of a surprise when I selected one file and the script said it was 57 items in there ... but it turned out that the fileList is a string not a list as I thought. Can I in some way get fileList to be a list?

I'm new to workflows so apply the usual excuses

I want to make a simple workflow where I can select a number of files on the desktop and then press a shortcut to get them into Alfred where I then can launch the actual workflow.

I've used a file action which then passes the result to an applescript - since I'm trying to get this to work it looks like this

on alfred_script(fileList)
    display dialog ("Hello " & the number of items in fileList)
    display dialog (fileList as text)
    repeat with currentFile in fileList
        display dialog ("Loop " & currentFile)
    end repeat
end alfred_script

I got a bit of a surprise when I selected one file and the script said it was 57 items in there ... but it turned out that the fileList is a string not a list as I thought. Can I in some way get fileList to be a list?

Alfred does indeed pass the list of selected files into workflows as a tab delimited string of paths. You could then just split them by setting the text delimiter to a tab and grabbing all pieces.

set input to "{query}"
set AppleScript's text item delimiters to "	"
set input to every text item of input
return item 1 of input

Something like this.. except you would repeat over input.