Your must-have workflows?

• 7 months later...

Workflow authors: no pimping your own wares; if they're that good, someone else will mention them  ;)

Alternatively, they may be really good to us not because they really are good, but because they completely match our mental model (after all, we made them). I’m confident most of us try to accomplish both and have some of our own workflows as the ones we use the crap of the most, simply because they fit so well into how we wish them to work.

Here’s my third-party list, in no particular order:

• Movie and TV Show Search, by tone. Does exactly what it says on the tin. Wicked fast to get info, with ratings from many websites. It even made me deprecate one of my own workflows.
  • Searchio!, by deanishe. Search suggestions for different engines right from Alfred? Yes, please. If I open a webpage directly from Alfred, it likely was from here.
  • Wolfram|Alpha, by tyler-eich. No way to access Google instant results from Alfred, anymore, so this is the next best thing. My only complaint is it’s slow as molasses (if it weren’t, I’d use it way more) but that’s Wolfram|Alpha’s fault, not Tyler’s.
  • TerminalFinder by LeEnno (seems to not have a packal account). Opens current Finder/Pathfinder window in Terminal/iTerm and vice-versa

I also noticed that apart from myself, deanishe is the user I regularly use more workflows from, so here’s two more:

• Glosbe Translation. I spend so much time daily writing in english, I sometimes forget equivalent words in my own language. Its blazing fast lookup and variety of results keeps it as my main choice for translations.
  • Packal Search. Not to search for workflows, but to update them.
Edited by Vítor

Alternatively, they may be really good to us not because they really are good, but because they completely match our mental model (after all, we made them). I’m confident most of us try to accomplish both and have some of our own workflows as the ones we use the crap of the most, simply because they fit so well into how we wish them to work.

That was the biggest reason for my caveat :)

I use the shit out of my own workflows because I wrote almost every one of them to scratch a personal itch. Of other people's workflows, only your Markdown to BB code and Robin's ssh workflow make my top 10 most used.

Even when I find a workflow that is really useful, I often end up re-implementing, or at least hacking it so it fits my needs (a bit) better.

1. Transmit: Awesome workflow for transmit users!

2. AlfredBookmarklet: Great for storing common bookmarklets (website scripting)

3. Jenkins Workflow: I developed it, but I use it all the time to kick off jobs - hope this helps others!

4. Layout: On a lot of people's list. Download the bleeding edge workflow if you are on Yosemite and it will work.

5. Menu Bar Search: Searches current applications menu..very useful

6. Egg Timer: Great for alerts and timers

7. SSH: Nice shortcut...uses SSH config to pre-populate. I use this sometimes when I get lazy :)

I also wrote a JIRA workflow that I haven't released yet that allows searching issues, setting a favorite filter, returning results based on the set filter, and assigning issues, that I use all the time. I am not sure if a lot of people use JIRA, so I have been hesitant to release it, but if there is interest I will expedite.

Edited by jyeakley

I also wrote a JIRA workflow that I haven't released yet that allows searching issues, setting a favorite filter, returning results based on the set filter, and assigning issues, that I use all the time. I am not sure if a lot of people use JIRA, so I have been hesitant to release it, but if there is interest I will expedite.

OOOh I would be very interested in chatting with you about that as I had been looking at writing something similar (and have already written something for Confluence but unreleased).

Will message you directly.

Caniuse - http://www.alfredforum.com/topic/3165-caniuse/

Domainr - http://www.packal.org/workflow/domainr

Recent Downloads - http://www.alfredforum.com/topic/3431-recent-downloads-workflow/
I use this alot, I renamed it to "dl" and extended it (instead of ${HOME}/Downloads/* it searches for ${HOME}/Downloads/*/*, cause I have folders in my Downloads like JDownloader, Browser, Mail, Telegram, ...)

Git Repos - http://www.packal.org/workflow/git-repos
Found it today :D and already love it!

Translate - http://www.packal.org/workflow/translate
Had many translators but this is my favorite, I don't have to choose any language (from>to)

Edited by FirePanther
Broke da rulez (of the thread)!

Had forgotten about TerminalFinder, so edited my post to reflect that. I use this one a lot but at the same time it always got on my nerves since it always opens a new iTerm tab we have to manually close, even if you had no iTerm window open.

This is in part due to known difficulties of calling iTerm from Alfred with the correct behaviour, but since stuartcryan built a solution for the problem, I was able to fix it as well in TerminalFinder and now find it way more pleasant to use.

Hey FirePanther, I removed your own workflows from your post because, as I wrote in the OP (and quoted in your post), this isn't the thread to pimp your own wares.

As Vítor astutely noted above, everyone thinks their own workflows are must-haves: that's usually why they wrote them in the first place…

Ok you're right, I wouldn't create them if I wouldn't need them :)

Didn't read the rules :S

• 2 weeks later...

My favorit workflows:

• Currency Converter by Florian Pellet -> Multiple currencies convertable.
  • Upload to imgur by Carlos Alberto Sztoltz -> Hotkey upload to imgur.
  • Toggle WiFi by Hwee-Boon Yar -> Turns WiFi on / off or restarts it.

Domainr stopped working a long while ago. Do you have a fix?

Edited by ErfahrungenCOM

A new workflow that has quickly become a firm favourite: Search OmniFocus.

Because it directly accesses OmniFocus's sqlite database files instead of using AppleScript to talk to the application, it's insanely fast. This makes is so much more useful than other OF workflows.

Insanely fast.

Had actually thought about building something essentially just like this a while back. Thanks for the rec!

• 7 months later...

7. I haven't found a good replacement for an Alfred V1.0 workflow which was a super simple alert notification. You typed in "Alert 50:30 Laundry" or something like that and 50 minutes 30 seconds later it would ding loudly and banner "Laundry"

Have you tried EggTimer?

I use this daily, for everything from reminding myself to time block or setting timers for food in the oven. The syntax is really simple and semantic too: "timer 15 pizza is done!"

in 15  minutes a loud ringer goes off and a "pizza is done!" notification pops up.

I wouldn't mind being able to change the alarm sound, but the default is loud and abrasive--which is kind of perfect. 

• 2 months later...

Really love threads like this, would love to hear other people's choices. I even made a repo with all the great stuff I use here : https://github.com/nikitavoloboev/my-mac-os

Here are the workflows that I use from it :

1. Searchio (allows me to quickly search Google, Youtube, Wikipedia, Google Images and Maps quickly and with autosuggestions being provided with every query I type. I can quickly press command + caps lock and type anything I want and use the wonderful power of Google to answer any question that I have.
  2. Dash (as mentioned before, it allows me to very quickly search through any docset that I have downloaded for anything I want, it allows me to also scope my search for any specific docset that I want to search. I have it binded to left option and caps lock.
  3. Github Command Bar (allows me to quickly find any repository that I want, search through Github, go to my current issues, my dashboard and a lot lot more)
  4. Stack Overflow (Stack Overflow search from Alfred with autosuggestions, very often I still just use Google to do my search queries but this allows me to more specifically target Stack Overflow and also see the results from the Alfred prompt itself.
  5. currentURL (a very simple workflow that simply gets the url of currently active Safari tab and puts it into system clipboard, I use it a lot as I often want to add a link to some list in 2Do or have it be pasted to some text I am writing)
  6. Pocket (allows me to quickly save an article I am reading to Pocket for later reading, I can also go through and search any article that I want to read, archive an article that I have read already in the browser but still want to keep in Pocket) 
  7. Units (if I even am in need to do any kind of conversion, I do it here)
  8. Safari Search (use it all the time now, can instantly search through any bookmarks that I have saved in Safari as well as go through my history. The search is instant and very accurate, it also learns from what you usually choose.)
  9. Spotify Mini Player (mentioned it briefly above, but this is an absolutely phenomenal tool that allows me to essentially control through the entirety of Spotify client through a quick Alfred prompt) (very powerful workflow)

And here is an imgur album of all the workflows that I have and use : https://imgur.com/a/P2S8T

Edited by nikivi
  • 2 weeks later...

OOOh I would be very interested in chatting with you about that as I had been looking at writing something similar (and have already written something for Confluence but unreleased).

Will message you directly.

Intersting - I wrote a search for BitbucketServer / Stash :)