Show all items in empty Script Filter (v. 2.5 (295))

smarg19

This is a somewhat odd question, but the newest build of Alfred (295) seems to have broken this functionality. Previously, it was possible to have an empty Script Filter (one where no input has yet been entered) display all possible results by selecting these options in the Script Filter:

• uncheck with space
  • select Argument Optional
I was using this functionality in my Pandoctor workflow. Now, these Script Filters display nothing until some input is given. I would really like to get the old functionality back. How can I do this?

I just tested this with my Colors workflow. I attached a hotkey to one of the script filters (any of them will do; they all use the same argument settings). On pressing the hotkey, the default result ('OS X Color Panel') appears until input is given. This result is only available once the backend codebase is run.

TL;DR: I'm not able to replicate this issue.

Alfred 2 v2.5 (295) on Mac OS X 10.9.4 (13E28)

This is a somewhat odd question, but the newest build of Alfred (295) seems to have broken this functionality. Previously, it was possible to have an empty Script Filter (one where no input has yet been entered) display all possible results by selecting these options in the Script Filter:

• uncheck with space
  • select Argument Optional
I was using this functionality in my Pandoctor workflow. Now, these Script Filters display nothing until some input is given. I would really like to get the old functionality back. How can I do this?

I'm interested in looking into this further as the 2.5 behaviour in this instance has changed and I want to make sure it hasn't broken anything which previously worked. I am going to move this into bugs until we work out what is happening!

Cheers,

Andrew

I have created a simple script filter (based on the built in example) and tried all the modes... no argument, optional argument (with and without space) and argument required (with and without space) and am seeing the expected behaviour.

When running as keyword from Alfred's default results:

No argument - Script run immediately on keyword match

Optional Argument - Script is run immediately when keyword matches

Required Argument - Placeholder is shown until argument is provided

When running from an attached hotkey (or external influence):

No Argument - Script run immediately

Optional Argument - Script run immediately

Required Argument - Placeholder shown until argument is provided

Are you seeing any errors in Alfred's workflow debug view, or any errors in Console.app? Is there a specific scenario which isn't working

Cheers,

Andrew

I am seeing no errors. It would appear that my workflow needs to change its logic. It appears that my code no longer returns all results when the {query} is ''. I thought this was how my old code was, but I think there was a regression in an external library that I use.

All that to say, these tests lead me to believe that the problem exists in my code, and not in Alfred. Sorry for the false alarm, but thank you so much for the quick and thorough response.

I am seeing no errors. It would appear that my workflow needs to change its logic. It appears that my code no longer returns all results when the {query} is ''. I thought this was how my old code was, but I think there was a regression in an external library that I use.

All that to say, these tests lead me to believe that the problem exists in my code, and not in Alfred. Sorry for the false alarm, but thank you so much for the quick and thorough response.

Great, thanks for the update! I'm going to move this to Closed, but do let me know if you discover any other issues in this area!