Synced workflows doesn't work

marlun

I've got 2 file filter workflows that I created on my work machine where the settings is synced. I just set up sync at home too and I got the two file filters but when I open up Alfred and try to use the filters I can see them but they can't find any files. As soon as I start to write the filter the fallback searches are found. The folders and files the workflow searches are the same on both computers (they are also synced and located at the same paths) so I really don't understand why.

I've got 2 file filter workflows that I created on my work machine where the settings is synced. I just set up sync at home too and I got the two file filters but when I open up Alfred and try to use the filters I can see them but they can't find any files. As soon as I start to write the filter the fallback searches are found. The folders and files the workflow searches are the same on both computers (they are also synced and located at the same paths) so I really don't understand why.

It could be one of two things...

Firstly, if you have set a scope on the filter, the searched folders only exist on one Mac, not the others. You'll need to add relevant folders from both Macs if there are different locations.

Secondly, there is an indexing issue on the Mac it's not working on... try reindexing from Alfred from the shortcut in his Advanced prefs.

Let me know how you get on, as this should work fine :)

Cheers,

Andrew

I ran across this issue, and it was related to files located in my Dropbox folder. If you have two Dropbox accounts (personal and Business), the folders get renamed to "Dropbox (Personal)" and "Dropbox (Business name)". I had to explicitly add both of these directories for Alfred to find files within them. 

Not sure if this was related to the fact that your primary Dropbox account folder is symlinked to another, but this ended up working for me.

The folder I've added as the search scope is "~/Sync/vimwiki". The Sync folder is called the same both of my computers and it's synced so it has the same files inside it. I tried going into Alfred advanced preferences and clicked both Clear Application Cache and Rebuild OS X Metadata but it didn't help. If I drag in the folder on this computer too just to make sure nothing happends (since it's allready added).

The folder I've added as the search scope is "~/Sync/vimwiki". The Sync folder is called the same both of my computers and it's synced so it has the same files inside it. I tried going into Alfred advanced preferences and clicked both Clear Application Cache and Rebuild OS X Metadata but it didn't help. If I drag in the folder on this computer too just to make sure nothing happends (since it's allready added).

Is Spotlight finding files in that folder (on the Mac where Alfred isn't finding the files)

/Users/marlun/Sync/vimwiki/Tools.wiki

Internal File Metadata
======================

Display Name: Tools.wiki
    Alt Names: 
    File Type: dyn.ah62d4rv4ge81s4ppre
     Comments: 
     Keywords: 
    Last Used: 

Raw mdls File Metadata
======================

kMDItemContentCreationDate     = 2014-08-15 22:26:56 +0000
kMDItemContentModificationDate = 2014-08-15 22:26:56 +0000
kMDItemContentType             = "dyn.ah62d4rv4ge81s4ppre"
kMDItemContentTypeTree         = (
    "dyn.ah62d4rv4ge81s4ppre",
    "public.data",
    "public.item"
)
kMDItemDateAdded               = 2014-08-15 22:26:56 +0000
kMDItemDisplayName             = "Tools.wiki"
kMDItemFSContentChangeDate     = 2014-08-15 22:26:56 +0000
kMDItemFSCreationDate          = 2014-08-15 22:26:56 +0000
kMDItemFSCreatorCode           = ""
kMDItemFSFinderFlags           = 0
kMDItemFSHasCustomIcon         = 0
kMDItemFSInvisible             = 0
kMDItemFSIsExtensionHidden     = 0
kMDItemFSIsStationery          = 0
kMDItemFSLabel                 = 0
kMDItemFSName                  = "Tools.wiki"
kMDItemFSNodeCount             = 105
kMDItemFSOwnerGroupID          = 20
kMDItemFSOwnerUserID           = 501
kMDItemFSSize                  = 105
kMDItemFSTypeCode              = ""
kMDItemKind                    = "Mediawiki document"
kMDItemLogicalSize             = 105
kMDItemPhysicalSize            = 4096

The file is created by VimWiki (not sure about it being of type "Mediawiki document" but I guess it's just the extension).

No it does not. It's org.vim.wiki-file on this one.

/Users/marlun/Sync/vimwiki/Tools.wiki

Internal File Metadata
======================

Display Name: Tools.wiki
    Alt Names: 
    File Type: org.vim.wiki-file
     Comments: 
     Keywords: 
    Last Used: 

Raw mdls File Metadata
======================

kMDItemContentCreationDate     = 2014-09-19 11:54:28 +0000
kMDItemContentModificationDate = 2014-09-19 11:54:28 +0000
kMDItemContentType             = "org.vim.wiki-file"
kMDItemContentTypeTree         = (
    "org.vim.wiki-file",
    "public.plain-text",
    "public.text",
    "public.data",
    "public.item",
    "public.content"
)
kMDItemDateAdded               = 2014-09-19 12:01:49 +0000
kMDItemDisplayName             = "Tools.wiki"
kMDItemFSContentChangeDate     = 2014-09-19 11:54:28 +0000
kMDItemFSCreationDate          = 2014-09-19 11:54:28 +0000
kMDItemFSCreatorCode           = ""
kMDItemFSFinderFlags           = 0
kMDItemFSHasCustomIcon         = (null)
kMDItemFSInvisible             = 0
kMDItemFSIsExtensionHidden     = 0
kMDItemFSIsStationery          = (null)
kMDItemFSLabel                 = 0
kMDItemFSName                  = "Tools.wiki"
kMDItemFSNodeCount             = (null)
kMDItemFSOwnerGroupID          = 20
kMDItemFSOwnerUserID           = 501
kMDItemFSSize                  = 177
kMDItemFSTypeCode              = ""
kMDItemKind                    = "Mediawiki document"
kMDItemLogicalSize             = 177
kMDItemPhysicalSize            = 4096

Edited by marlun

No it does not. It's org.vim.wiki-file on this one.

That's gonna be your issue... add both of the dyn.ah62d4rv4ge81s4ppre and org.vim.wiki-file types into the Alfred file filter.

The dyn. type suggests that on that Mac, you don't have the app installed which has claimed that file UTI so OS X automatically generates a temporary dyn.hash for you instead.

Cheers,

Andrew

Any way to do that except draging and droping a file? I already did that before but nothing happend.

I'll try to look into getting the same app to claim the file UTI too. I think I've told OS X that I want MacVim to open all the .vim files on this computer so I supose thats the way.

Any way to do that except draging and droping a file? I already did that before but nothing happend.

I'll try to look into getting the same app to claim the file UTI too. I think I've told OS X that I want MacVim to open all the .vim files on this computer so I supose thats the way.

When dragging in, Alfred takes the kMDItemContentType, so for the dyn type, that should just appear if you drag in the file which was showing this dyn type when using the Alfred Metadata Tool.

I've just touched a Tools.wiki file on my desktop, it has no association so I see the same content type hash. I dragged that into a new file filter and see the type:

dyn.ah62d4rv4ge81s4ppre.png

There seem to be something else that's wrong here because I'm getting different "types" in your metadata tool and in alfred. Below I've dragged the same file (on the laptop where things isn't working) into a new workflow and then into the metadata tool.

Alfred sources the info from the "Internal File Metadata" listed in the metadata tool... so my only guess is there is something up with the actual OS X metadata. If you share your file filter with me, I can manually edit it to add the correct metadata types.

I'm surprised a reindex of the metadata didn't fix this underlying issue though.

Cheers,

Andrew

• 2 weeks later...

Since you said it suprised you that the reindex didn't work I tried it again before sending the filter to you and this time it seem to have fixed the problem because now it all seem to work. Not sure what I did the first time. I'm sure I did the reindexing and that I looked at the progress bar in the spotlight dialog but maybe I messed it up later or something.

Thanks for the help!