Alfred 2 shutdown and restart reopen windows

Drooply

Hi

When using Alfred 2 to shutdown or restart my Mac, it does it as if I have the setting on to "Reopen windows when logging back in", which is a setting i despise.

Is this a bug(that Alfred 2 does not use the users standard setting)? Or is it possible to use these functions without this option on?

Thanks.

Hi

When using Alfred 2 to shutdown or restart my Mac, it does it as if I have the setting on to "Reopen windows when logging back in", which is a setting i despise.

Is this a bug(that Alfred 2 does not use the users standard setting)? Or is it possible to use these functions without this option on?

Thanks.

The option isn't normally available. I made a workflow for it that, I haven't tried in quite some time so I'm not sure if it still works correctly or not. You can try it here

• 2 months later...
  • 8 months later...

Hi Guys, I do not prefer to install a workflow for this. Could Alfred-2 provide an option to choose, similar to what the OSX does.

To include this into Alfred would require some bodging, as this option is not readily available for third-party apps to control, and Alfred is proudly bodge-free :)

If you want to try out the workflow, you can set the workflow to use the same keyword, and uncheck the box for the default restart/shutdown keywords instead. You can always revert back to the default behaviour and remove the workflow if you don't enjoy using it.

Cheers,

Vero

• 3 weeks later...

I'd also say make sure it's not actually an OS glitch, not Alfred's fault. Try restarting the normal way, sans Alfred, just to see...

It seems like a relatively common issue (current OSX version and all) that even when you uncheck "Reopen windows when logging back in" the windows still reopen (despite what programs are designated "login items").

I'd also say make sure it's not actually an OS glitch, not Alfred's fault. Try restarting the normal way, sans Alfred, just to see...

It seems like a relatively common issue (current OSX version and all) that even when you uncheck "Reopen windows when logging back in" the windows still reopen (despite what programs are designated "login items").

+1 on this. I've noticed this several times in the past. I hate it reopening everything after a restart and even though the setting in OSX is there to *NOT* reopen, it'll reboot and open up 20 windows.. Grr

• 4 weeks later...

To include this into Alfred would require some bodging, as this option is not readily available for third-party apps to control, and Alfred is proudly bodge-free :)

If you want to try out the workflow, you can set the workflow to use the same keyword, and uncheck the box for the default restart/shutdown keywords instead. You can always revert back to the default behaviour and remove the workflow if you don't enjoy using it.

Cheers,

Vero

Thanks Vero. Will try that.

• 1 month later...

Hi,

tried both workflows. But none works. Maybe this is because i am working with a german Mac OS X. I tried already to adjust the script to the appropriate german menu entry. But still no luck.

Of course i granted Alfred 2 the right to control the computer.

Any idea what might be wrong?

Regards,

Matthias

Hi,

tried both workflows. But none works. Maybe this is because i am working with a german Mac OS X. I tried already to adjust the script to the appropriate german menu entry. But still no luck.

Of course i granted Alfred 2 the right to control the computer.

Any idea what might be wrong?

Regards,

Matthias

I have no idea why those aren't working, but I'm glad you asked this question, because it got me curious. This has been bothering me for a long time as well.

I started looking into this and I found another way to do it. Since I couldn't figure out how to change "Reopen windows..." setting via code, I ended up making what is essentially a macro that goes through the same process you go through, when you manually trigger one of these from the apple menu.

The way this workflow differs from Alfred's own System commands, is that it honors the "Reopen windows..." setting.

System Commands.alfredworkflow

To change "Reopen windows..." setting quickly: 

- Use keyword with modifier “Cmd”

- Change “Reopen windows…” setting (Space)

- Cancel (Esc)

I'm not very good at making workflows, so maybe this is not perfect, but it works for me, so I'm happy. 

Edited by joonas
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I have no idea why those aren't working, but I'm glad you asked this question, because it got me curious. This has been bothering me for a long time as well.

I started looking into this and I found another way to do it. Since I couldn't figure out how to change "Reopen windows..." setting via code, I ended up making what is essentially a macro that goes through the same process you go through, when you manually trigger one of these from the apple menu.

The way this workflow differs from Alfred's own System commands, is that it honors the "Reopen windows..." setting.

System Commands.alfredworkflow

To change "Reopen windows..." setting quickly: 

- Use keyword with modifier “Cmd”

- Change “Reopen windows…” setting (Space)

- Cancel (Esc)

I'm not very good at making workflows, so maybe this is not perfect, but it works for me, so I'm happy. 

Thanks mate, this works just fine for me. Maybe you should consider putting the workflow on http://www.packal.org/.

• 3 years later...

This is an old topic by now, but I was doing some googling and this post was the first result when I searched for "Alfred reopen windows when logging back in" and so I thought I'd let anyone stumbling into this know that I did indeed add this to packal years ago and I believe I've since updated it a few times.

Updated System Commands.alfredworkflow:

- Packal: http://www.packal.org/workflow/system-commands

- Github: https://github.com/joonaspaakko/System-Commands.alfredworkflow

There might be some differences in wording and whatnot, but the .alfredworkflow files are identical in both sources. I also updated the previous Dropbox link just now, but I'm sure I forget to keep that up to date in case I need to make some changes. The original workflow is still here.

Edited by joonas