"Lock" via Alfred disconnects network

On OS-X, there's a few ways to 'Lock' the Mac. One is to manually lock it using the keychain or keyboard shortcut, the other is to let the screensaver lock the mac after a timeout.

When locked manually, OS-X disconnects the network, exposing a bug is OS-X where unlocking doesn't re-establish network connectivity without manually disconnecting/reconnecting the network. Unfortunately, this also happens when using Alfred to Lock the Mac (via typing "lock").

The network disconnect does not happen if the Mac is locked via screensaver timeout.

It would be nice if Alfred allowed the user to disable shutting down the network connection when locking the screen.

It would be nice if Alfred allowed the user to disable shutting down the network connection when locking the screen.

Alfred doesn't have control over the network when performing the lock action. I think I saw a workflow which performed some AppleScript to lock the display instead of suspend the session which may give you better results but I can't see this now.

[moving to help sub-forum]

On OS-X, there's a few ways to 'Lock' the Mac. One is to manually lock it using the keychain or keyboard shortcut, the other is to let the screensaver lock the mac after a timeout.

When locked manually, OS-X disconnects the network, exposing a bug is OS-X where unlocking doesn't re-establish network connectivity without manually disconnecting/reconnecting the network. Unfortunately, this also happens when using Alfred to Lock the Mac (via typing "lock").

The network disconnect does not happen if the Mac is locked via screensaver timeout.

Alfred doesn't have control over the network when performing the lock action. I think I saw a workflow which performed some AppleScript to lock the display instead of suspend the session which may give you better results but I can't see this now.

[moving to help sub-forum]

If your machine is set to require a password to return from the screensaver could essentially perform the same task. You would just use the keyword you set to activate the screensaver. You may want to adjust the timeout for when the password is required in the Security and Privacy settings in OS X.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

Disconnecting the network when locking the screen isn't acceptable.  

Is there an alternative was to have Alfred (or something else) lock the screen?  A workflow or something?

The Lock option in Alfred is nice but it's broken.

After some more Googling I this which suggests running the screen saver with it set to require the password immediately and I created a workflow that starts the screen saver with either "Lock" or cmd+L.

It's a workaround but it'll do for now.  I do understand that the broken lock command is an Apple bug.

After some more Googling I this which suggests running the screen saver with it set to require the password immediately and I created a workflow that starts the screen saver with either "Lock" or cmd+L.

It's a workaround but it'll do for now.  I do understand that the broken lock command is an Apple bug.

Screensaver with password is the best option and what I also use :)

• 2 weeks later...

There are a couple of ways to turn off your display (which locks the machine if you have set it to require a password immediately after sleep/screensaver). This doesn't mess up the network connection (in my experience), nor continue to draw power for the display (like with a screensaver).

You can use the keyboard shortcut CTRL+SHIFT+EJECT or CTRL+SHIFT+POWER (depending on which button your Mac has).

Alternatively, the shell command pmset displaysleepnow does the same thing, if you want to use an Alfred keyword.

There are also a few apps that do the same thing.

Edited by deanishe