Mailbox (beta) instead of Mail.app

JRErickson

I use Mailbox from dropbox instead of the standard Apple Mail app.  However when I try to use Alfred to send an email it always opens the Mail app.  The only preference that I can see is to use Gmail instead of Mail, but I would like to have the option to configure which mail app the system uses, or at least have the application use the "default" mail app for that computer.

Suggestions on how to work around this?

I use Mailbox from dropbox instead of the standard Apple Mail app.  However when I try to use Alfred to send an email it always opens the Mail app.  The only preference that I can see is to use Gmail instead of Mail, but I would like to have the option to configure which mail app the system uses, or at least have the application use the "default" mail app for that computer.

Suggestions on how to work around this?

When you start a new email using the "email" keyword or by choosing a contact's email address in Alfred's Contact Viewer, Alfred will simply send OS X a "mailto:" so that it launches in your default email client. 

You can double-check whether Mailbox.app is your default email client by launching Mail.app's preferences. Under General, you'll see "Default email reader". You can unset and reset it to your preferred app, just in case OS X hasn't correctly registered your choice. (If you've just set it, it may also be worth restarting so that it's properly set.)

If you're trying to start a new email with a file attached, Alfred can only do this for apps that have AppleScript support. Having had a look, it doesn't appear that Mailbox.app has the necessary support for it at this time. If it does, we'll be happy to add it to the supported clients list.

I had a good look at Mailbox.app when rewriting my MailTo workflow. Its mailto: support sucks badly.

IIRC (and things might have changed in the meantime), it requires a mailto: URI with an explicit to, i.e. mailto:?to=bob@aol.com, not mailto:bob@aol.com.

Edited by deanishe