New version posted. A few bug fixes and now includes TV show search (using "tv" keyword). Let me know if you run into any issues!

I wish I could change the title of this thread to the new name of the workflow ("Movie and TV Show Search").

When searching for a film, then selecting the rotten tomatoes menu item the search results don't load properly for me. Is this happening for others. Works perfect for one word movies, but not if the title contains more than one word.

A request would be to add an option to open all 3 tabs in your browser - imdb, rotten tomatoes and metacritic. At the moment I believe I would have to run the query 3 times in alfred to achieve this?

Great workflow!

Excellent! Look forward to trying it!

Hi mnisbet. Thanks for the feedback! I'll get these things in place for the next version.

EDIT: The bug-fix and suggestion is in the latest version posted on Packal. Thanks again.

Edited by mnisbet

I just gave this workflow a shot and see <urlopen error [Errno 61] Connection refused> in Alfred. I don't have time to poke around at the moment, but I wonder if it could be an API key issue? Or perhaps there are some restrictions on my network that I don't know about. I haven't had trouble with other workflows though. Anyhoo, I thought I'd let you know in case it's something obvious :)

Cheers!

EDIT: Here's the dump from Alfred's script debugger.

[ERROR: alfred.workflow.input.scriptfilter] Code 1: 14:29:55 workflow.py:1972 DEBUG    Workflow version : 2.1.0
14:29:55 workflow.py:1990 ERROR    <urlopen error [Errno 61] Connection refused>
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/Users/curtisan/Dropbox/Stuff/Alfred Preferences/Alfred.alfredpreferences/workflows/user.workflow.32CEBDB1-9C78-47F5-A3FA-1121F372809C/workflow/workflow.py", line 1983, in run
    func(self)
  File "media.py", line 48, in main
    configuration = wf.cached_data('tmdbconfig', wrapper, max_age=604800)
  File "/Users/curtisan/Dropbox/Stuff/Alfred Preferences/Alfred.alfredpreferences/workflows/user.workflow.32CEBDB1-9C78-47F5-A3FA-1121F372809C/workflow/workflow.py", line 1616, in cached_data
    data = data_func()
  File "media.py", line 46, in wrapper
    return get_tmdb_configuration(api_key)
  File "media.py", line 80, in get_tmdb_configuration
    return web.get(url, params).json()
  File "/Users/curtisan/Dropbox/Stuff/Alfred Preferences/Alfred.alfredpreferences/workflows/user.workflow.32CEBDB1-9C78-47F5-A3FA-1121F372809C/workflow/web.py", line 540, in get
    auth=auth, timeout=timeout, allow_redirects=allow_redirects)
  File "/Users/curtisan/Dropbox/Stuff/Alfred Preferences/Alfred.alfredpreferences/workflows/user.workflow.32CEBDB1-9C78-47F5-A3FA-1121F372809C/workflow/web.py", line 528, in request
    return Response(req)
  File "/Users/curtisan/Dropbox/Stuff/Alfred Preferences/Alfred.alfredpreferences/workflows/user.workflow.32CEBDB1-9C78-47F5-A3FA-1121F372809C/workflow/web.py", line 211, in __init__
    self.raw = urllib2.urlopen(request)
  File "/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/urllib2.py", line 127, in urlopen
    return _opener.open(url, data, timeout)
  File "/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/urllib2.py", line 404, in open
    response = self._open(req, data)
  File "/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/urllib2.py", line 422, in _open
    '_open', req)
  File "/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/urllib2.py", line 382, in _call_chain
    result = func(*args)
  File "/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/urllib2.py", line 1214, in http_open
    return self.do_open(httplib.HTTPConnection, req)
  File "/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/urllib2.py", line 1184, in do_open
    raise URLError(err)
URLError: <urlopen error [Errno 61] Connection refused>
14:29:55 workflow.py:2008 DEBUG    Workflow finished in 0.061 seconds.
Edited by Subject22

I just gave this workflow a shot and see <urlopen error [Errno 61] Connection refused> in Alfred. I don't have time to poke around at the moment, but I wonder if it could be an API key issue? Or perhaps there are some restrictions on my network that I don't know about. I haven't had trouble with other workflows though. Anyhoo, I thought I'd let you know in case it's something obvious :)

Subject22 - Interesting. I'm not seeing the issue, so I don't think it's related to the API key. Are you able to browse themoviedb.org? Perhaps your network is blocking traffic to the site? Sorry I'm not much help.

Anyone else out there have ideas as to how we can diagnose this?

Me too :D. For anyone who has the same problem, I found a more permanent solution than switching networks.

In Alfred Preferences go to the Advanced tab and tick "Use OS X http proxy settings for scripts". Then head over to System Preferences>Network select the relevant network in the sidebar and then go to Advanced>Proxies. Enable "Web Proxy (HTTP)" and enter your proxy settings (if they don't appear automatically). Hit OK and apply your new network settings. You may or may not need to restart Alfred to get everything working.

Edited by Subject22
  • 2 weeks later...

I noticed that some of the movie scores from IMDB and RT are not accurate perhaps outdated.  For example the movie "John Wick" shows 7.7 in Alfred on IMDB but if you hit the SHIFT key or return to go to IMBD website it is 7.2.  Same with "Fury" only the RT score is off too.  

I noticed that some of the movie scores from IMDB and RT are not accurate perhaps outdated.  For example the movie "John Wick" shows 7.7 in Alfred on IMDB but if you hit the SHIFT key or return to go to IMBD website it is 7.2.  Same with "Fury" only the RT score is off too.  

Hey mikedvzo. This workflow uses the OMDb API to get the ratings. As the OMDb isn't affiliated with IMDb/RT/Metacritic, the scores might not be accurate. Not exactly sure how /when the OMDb API updates the scores in its database, but I would think that eventually the movies will get corrected.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Still loving this one. Was wondering if it would be possible to load up the youtube trailer along with the other rating sites when using the 'search for XX on all ratings sites" option?

Thanks again.

Hi mnisbet. Thanks for the suggestion. I've made the change. You can get the new version through Packal. Have a good weekend!

• 2 months later...

Me again! Has Rotten Tomatoes now made user votes accessible through the API? http://www.filmsarecool.com/#id=244563seems to be pulling them through. Would be a good addition if possible! :)

Looks like this should be doable as the data is included in the OMDb API. Unsure when I'll be able to get around to implementing it though.

If you don't want to wait for me, you could always try tinkering with the code :).

• 1 year later...