Most boring topic: Can't connect

I'm also suffering problems here.  Interestingly, it worked fine for me "out of the box".  Added a remote, entered the code, and everything was fine.

I came back from running some errands a few hours later, mac still running just as it was.  I launched Alfred Remote, and it couldn't connect.  Since then, I've tried connecting via Bonjour, and deleting the remote from Alfred Preferences, and then re-adding like I did the first time.  But both sides just show the "searching" animation, and never find each other.  I'm not in a place where I can afford to reboot or create other accounts right now, but I'll try that when I get a chance, and keep my fingers crossed that we get some reliability clues here.  I'm excited to integrate remote with my custom workflows!

I'm also suffering problems here.  Interestingly, it worked fine for me "out of the box".  Added a remote, entered the code, and everything was fine.

I came back from running some errands a few hours later, mac still running just as it was.  I launched Alfred Remote, and it couldn't connect.  Since then, I've tried connecting via Bonjour, and deleting the remote from Alfred Preferences, and then re-adding like I did the first time.  But both sides just show the "searching" animation, and never find each other.  I'm not in a place where I can afford to reboot or create other accounts right now, but I'll try that when I get a chance, and keep my fingers crossed that we get some reliability clues here.  I'm excited to integrate remote with my custom workflows!

have you tried disabling and re-enabling the remote server from Alfred's remote preferences?

have you tried disabling and re-enabling the remote server from Alfred's remote preferences?

Yes, I did try that (and saw the notification confirming server started).  No change.

I also tried:

* force-quitting the remote app.

* rebooting the iPhone

* quitting and relaunching Alfred on the Mac

* manually adding with IP/Port, I just get a blank "Passphrase" screen on my iPhone, mac does nothing.

Console logs are all quiet, no help there.

Yes, I did try that (and saw the notification confirming server started).  No change.

I also tried:

* force-quitting the remote app.

* rebooting the iPhone

* quitting and relaunching Alfred on the Mac

* manually adding with IP/Port, I just get a blank "Passphrase" screen on my iPhone, mac does nothing.

Console logs are all quiet, no help there.

Hmm tricky... this sounds like it should connect. Do you have the firewall setup on your Mac? Or something like little snitch?

Hmm tricky... this sounds like it should connect. Do you have the firewall setup on your Mac? Or something like little snitch?

I don't run either, no.  However, I can confirm that telnetting to the Alfred server port works locally (via "localhost", or the IP), but does NOT work from my iPhone, nor from another mac on my network.  So it does seem like a simple connectivity issue here and not something more insidious.

Does the server bind to all network interfaces?  Like I said, I can reboot at some point, just not this afternoon, got too much work in-flight.  But that'll provide a good data point.

I don't run either, no.  However, I can confirm that telnetting to the Alfred server port works locally (via "localhost", or the IP), but does NOT work from my iPhone, nor from another mac on my network.  So it does seem like a simple connectivity issue here and not something more insidious.

Does the server bind to all network interfaces?  Like I said, I can reboot at some point, just not this afternoon, got too much work in-flight.  But that'll provide a good data point.

Alfred should be binding to all network interfaces (i.e. I can connect via cable or wifi on my iMac)... I hope a reboot helps solve your issue! :/

I se

It appears to be listening okay across interfaces:

➜ ~ netstat -atp tcp | grep -i 59397
tcp46      0      0  *.59397                *.*                    LISTEN     
tcp4       0      0  *.59397                *.*                    LISTEN   
➜ ~ lsof -i -P | grep -i "Alfred"
Alfred    90251 wkoffel    4u  IPv4 0x8649124e1f3f2551      0t0  TCP *:59397 (LISTEN)
Alfred    90251 wkoffel    7u  IPv6 0x8649124e13748381      0t0  TCP *:59397 (LISTEN)

Totally mystified about why the server doesn't respond on the port from external devices.

Especially keeping in mind that this worked a few hours ago.  It's not like it's always been this way.  Worked just fine the first time I tried it, but now....nothing.

For those with a connection issue, would you mind temporarily creating a new user account on your Mac, switching to that new user, starting Alfred Remote Server from Alfred's Remote preferences in that account and trying from there?

Cheers,

Andrew

Created a new account. Alfred now works. Went back to my account and it now works too!

Thank you Andrew!

Same here... both devices stuck on the "looking for..." screens.  Same WiFi, rebooted both devices. MBP 15" Retina running OS X 10.10.2 and iPad Air 2 running iOS 8.1.2. WAP is an Airport w/ timecapsule.

Alfred server address: 10.0.1.7:50176

Tried direct connect too without success, sits at "Password" then goes to "Disconnected"

Tried earlier on my work MBP 13" at the office... no luck there either, hoped it would work at home. No love.

Hi,

can't connect. Latest MacOS, latest iOS. Running on the same network via Fritz-Box. Fritz-Box is configured that the devices can talk to each other. Created New Account, same problem.

iPhone sees the computer, I tap on computer symbol, iphone Screen says "connecting to ..." Mac says "Looking for alfred remote"

No fun, spent already an hour with getting this app to run..

Hermann

Same here... both devices stuck on the "looking for..." screens.  Same WiFi, rebooted both devices. MBP 15" Retina running OS X 10.10.2 and iPad Air 2 running iOS 8.1.2. WAP is an Airport w/ timecapsule.

Alfred server address: 10.0.1.7:50176

Tried direct connect too without success, sits at "Password" then goes to "Disconnected"

Tried earlier on my work MBP 13" at the office... no luck there either, hoped it would work at home. No love.

Could you try disabling Alfred Remote Server in Alfred's Remote prefs, then creating a new user account on your Mac, switching to that account and try running the server from there? This may rule out anything installed on your main profile which is preventing Alfred Remote from connecting.

Many thanks,

Andrew

Hi,

can't connect. Latest MacOS, latest iOS. Running on the same network via Fritz-Box. Fritz-Box is configured that the devices can talk to each other. Created New Account, same problem.

iPhone sees the computer, I tap on computer symbol, iphone Screen says "connecting to ..." Mac says "Looking for alfred remote"

No fun, spent already an hour with getting this app to run..

Hermann

You may find that Bonjour doesn't work via Fritz-Box... have you tried setting up a direct connection from Remote?