Dropbox Short Links Workflow

Very nice. Thank you.

There are 2 flows into the same workflow (2 hotkeys) In case it's not obvious to others (it wasn't to me) the top one does the shortened URL, and the bottom one does a full URL.

One thing I will likely change eventually unless someone beats me to it is to use a notification instead of the large text. On my 27" iMac when that large text pops up it just about smacks me in the face.

Very well done. Thanks again.

• 2 weeks later...

Love the workflow :-) My only issue with it is that links always come back with a return character appended. Is there a way to avoid that?

Also, as others have said, the direct links that the workflow returns expire after four hours: https://www.dropbox.com/developers/core/api#media. Accessing the shortened link redirects to a preview page with a longer URL which is different to the direct link, and changing the "www" in that address to "dl" yields a direct link which does not expire for many years (I think) and which works for embedding images on these forums. Any chance you could modify the direct linking behaviour to get this link?

Example:

EDIT: Just realised that my post didn't make sense. Edited to fix that, and added a new query :-)
Edited by Subject22

Hello, 

I am unable to get this to work, when i select a file in DB and press cntrl/command/D it open a finder window at the desktop level, 

what am i dong wrong? I am sure this is operator error ;)

thanks in advance, 

j

For the time being, Alfred will strip out the assigned Hotkeys when installing workflows.  You will have to add them manually.

1. Open Alfred's preferences and navigate to the Workflows tab.
  2. Select the Dropbox Quick Links workflow.
  3. In the workflow editor you should see 2 empty items for the Hotkeys.
  4. Double click on them to set the Hotkey combination.  Press the keys that you would like to associate with the action.

Hello, 

I am unable to get this to work, when i select a file in DB and press cntrl/command/D it open a finder window at the desktop level, 

what am i dong wrong? I am sure this is operator error ;)

thanks in advance, 

j

I've modified my version and can't check the original at the moment, but if I recall correctly there are two action panels in the workflow each linked to a different hotkey. One provides the long 'direct' link (which, frustratingly, expires after 4 hours), and the other provides the short 'share' link. Just set a hotkey for the short link and you should be fine :-)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm not a programmer at all.  I'm just a productivity fiend.  I've taken one class on C#, and I've started the HTML tutorial on codecademy, so please treat my code knowledge accordingly.  I am interested in learning more, so I'll take all advice seriously.  Why won't this workflow do anything for me?  I've tried every possible combination of hotkeys, and NOTHING happens.  My clipboard remains exactly as is.  No change.  What do i do?

• 2 weeks later...

This works beautifully when the file is in the actual Dropbox folder. I get "Not a dropbox file" when it's a file located in a folder added to dropbox via a symlink (ie in default Downloads folder on Mac). Any workarounds?

Many thanks for the workflow!

It would be useful to be able to select any file from the Finder, that would be copied to a specific Dropbox folder with the shared link directly copied in the clipboard, all at once. The target folder would be any folder from your Dropbox (e.g. "Shared Files") but not the old "Public" folder, as it is a bit outdated.

To me, this workflow in its current state has no real advantage compared to the built-in Dropbox feature (see capture). Okay, the main difference is that it uses a keyboard shortcut instead of a right-click. But you still have to move the file manually...

What do you think? :-)

Image%202013.05.23%2008%3A46%3A23.png

• 5 months later...

I love this workflow. Somehow it stopped working this week. Maybe my update to Mavericks is causing it?

I've tried to reassign the shortcut. All it does it quickly blink the 'Copy file' menu entry in the Finder 'Edit' Menu.

When trying to download the Workflow again to reinstall it I noticed the link has expired or was removed.

Does the workflow work just fine in OS X Mavericks for others?

Thanks for the help.

This workflow failed for me and this forum entry appears to break down the reason why:

http://www.alfredforum.com/topic/3173-ruby-workflows-in-mavericks/page-2

Since my ruby skills are lacking (and I've been trying to pick up more python) I switched to this workflow and it is working flawlessly under Mavericks:

http://db.tt/HyUXaHsF source thread

The only drawback is that I had to switch to a new keyboard shortcut since Alfred wouldn't allow me to enter option+shift+d for this workflow. 

Edited by physicallymac

This workflow failed for me and this forum entry appears to break down the reason why:

http://www.alfredforum.com/topic/3173-ruby-workflows-in-mavericks/page-2

Since my ruby skills are lacking (and I've been trying to pick up more python) I switched to this workflow and it is working flawlessly under Mavericks:

http://db.tt/HyUXaHsF source thread

The only drawback is that I had to switch to a new keyboard shortcut since Alfred wouldn't allow me to enter option+shift+d for this workflow. 

After reading  physicallymac's posted link, i understood that using v2.0 of mavericks ruby instead of the older version 1.8 was causing the whole problem. 

Since the previous version exist in the folder: /System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/1.8/usr/bin/ruby

a simple

sudo ln -s /System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/1.8/usr/bin/ruby /usr/bin/ruby

did the trick and VOILA:D

Edited by marikbane
  • 2 weeks later...