BusyContacts integration

HRD

• 2 weeks later...

Can you search for a BusyContact in Spotlight? If so, you should be able to configure Alfred to search for and open contacts in BusyContact.

Does a workflow exist to configure Alfred to search and open contacts in BusyContacts? If not can users get help with one. -Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...

According to a response I got from BusyMac on this topic, Spotlight support is on the roadmap for BusyContacts, but not currently implemented. I would love it if Alfred supported it, but without some way to search with Spotlight or otherwise, I am not sure how a workflow would be possible. Please reach out to BusyMac directly or via their forum at https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/busymac and add your vote.

dear community,

noticed the latest busycontacts update includes:

"Added support for opening contacts in BusyContacts from third-party launchers (e.g. Alfred, LaunchBar, etc.) via addressbook:// URL handler"

does anyone know how i can have option of opening a contact in busycontacts from alfred?

thanks

Now that BusyContacts supports the addressbook URL scheme, you should be able to simply use cmd+o from within Alfred's contact viewer, or on the selected contact result in Alfred's default results :)

Answer from Busy Contact support is: "You don't need to do anything. BusyContacts 1.0.2 will register itself as the default contacts app for opening contacts.

So, in Alfred, normally you would search for a contact then type Command-O to open it in OS X Contacts. But now that same action will launch BusyContacts instead."

thanks AlfredsDad.  i also had to set the "open with" default application to be busycontacts for addressbook meta data found by alfred.  i did this by finding a contact and then pressing command to go to "reveal in finder", then "command-I" for get info, and then set "open with" app.  

interestingly, the command-o (open in busycontacts) only works when i find a contact and then take an extra step of first pressing return ("view contact in alfred").  from viewing contact in alfred, and then pressing command-o it opens in busycontacts.  

but if i press command-o immediately upon finding the contact in alfred, it doesnt open in busycontacts.  wondering if anyone else experienced this? 

thanks.

thanks AlfredsDad.  i also had to set the "open with" default application to be busycontacts for addressbook meta data found by alfred.  i did this by finding a contact and then pressing command to go to "reveal in finder", then "command-I" for get info, and then set "open with" app.  

interestingly, the command-o (open in busycontacts) only works when i find a contact and then take an extra step of first pressing return ("view contact in alfred").  from viewing contact in alfred, and then pressing command-o it opens in busycontacts.  

but if i press command-o immediately upon finding the contact in alfred, it doesnt open in busycontacts.  wondering if anyone else experienced this? 

thanks.

cmd+o on the default result may only work if you have the "Use Spotlight metadata for searching contacts" not ticked in Alfred's Features > Contacts > Advanced prefs, which will make Alfred use the address book API and addressbook:// url handler.

If using Spotlight metadata for searching contacts, Alfred will ask OS X to open the metadata file and what happens beyond that is outside of his control.

Followed all the steps but Alfred only opens the contact in BusyContacts using cmd-o when the BusyContacts window is open and in view. It won't automatically switch to and open the BusyContact window from another app window. -Any suggestions?

Followed all the steps but Alfred only opens the contact in BusyContacts using cmd-o when the BusyContacts window is open and in view. It won't automatically switch to and open the BusyContact window from another app window. -Any suggestions?

If Alfred is managing to open Busy Contacts at all, then he is successfully calling the URL handler to do this. What happens outside of this is outside of Alfred's control.

Have you tried restarting OS X and Busy Contacts just in case it hasn't properly managed to register the addressbook URL handler in OS X?

• 3 weeks later...

I am still lost on getting this to work. My understanding is that BusyContacts uses a busycontacts://show/ scheme, whereas Contacts uses an addressbook:// scheme. When I press command+enter to reveal a contact in the Finder, Alfred's dialog closes, but nothing else happens. So I went into ~/Library/Application\ Support/AddressBook/Metadata and changed the handler for .abcdp to be BusyContacts. No help there. 

I unchecked "Open Contacts in Alfred" and Alfred shows the default action as "Open in Contact in OS X Contacts app," and it does indeed use Contacts.app instead of BusyContacts. I don't see anywhere or anyway to change this. I've tried using Spotlight metadata, not using Spotlight metadata, and all the combinations I can think of.

Is there a Workflow I am missing? I feel like I must be missing something obvious. Thanks for any help! 

Update today from BusyContact Support on latest update to 1.0.3

"We had to remove the addressbook:// url support form BusyContacts 1.0.3, it was being reset by any number of processes and we could not guarantee it's function. We have sent Alfred the new URL to use, hopefully they will get it in there soon, the LaunchBar folks have already rolled it in..."

Hi there,

You can grab a 2.7.2 beta using here:

https://cachefly.alfredapp.com/Alfred_2.7.2_388.zip

You can configure the busy contacts URL handler in Alfred's Features > Contacts prefs. For BusyContacts, use the url:

busycontacts://show/{uid}

busycontacts.png

NOTE: This feature works best if you don't use the Spotlight metadata to find contacts option. If you have the Spotlight option selected, the contacts are actually files. Using cmd+o on a contact in the default results will force open the contact file with the default file association by design (Contacts.app). If you need to use the Spotlight option, either set Alfred to not open contacts in Alfred's address book viewer, or use cmd+o from inside Alfred's contact viewer to open with the custom URL handler.

Did Alfred update to 2.7.2 with busycontacts URL handler and settings as shown in your screen shot, however when using cmd+o on a contact from inside Alfred's contact viewer busycontacts app opens but not on the specific search contact. Any advice? 

Did Alfred update to 2.7.2 with busycontacts URL handler and settings as shown in your screen shot, however when using cmd+o on a contact from inside Alfred's contact viewer busycontacts app opens but not on the specific search contact. Any advice? 

Try the URL scheme busycontacts://show/{uid}

• 3 years later...