Preferences don't stick after syncing

On a whim, I decided to start syncing my preferences so I have them backed up consistently.

What an unfortunate decision that was..

As soon as I restarted alfred, I found that all my preferences were reset: theme, hotkey, etc... Everything except for my workflows. This was annoying, but it wasn't a huge deal to put everything back. Then I restarted Alfred, and I was back to the default again.

This makes Alfred essentially unusable for me, so I hope someone can help me soon—I feel naked using my own machine!

Details:

1. Syncing to Dropbox/Miscellaneous/
  2. .plists in user/Library/Application Support/Alfred 2/ are not updated ,nor do they affect behavior
  3. I can change prefs in the gui, resulting in appropriate behavior, and overwriting any .plists in the synced .plists
  4. These .plists are ignored when Alfred restarts
  5. I was able to get sticky preferences by deleting the whole Library folder, and copying in my .alfredpreferences, but although the Worklow data is present, they do not show up in the gui, nor are they usable

All I want is for everything to be like it was this morning... :( It seems to be impossible to turn off syncing in the GUI (a design flaw). Can I do this manually?

Edited by fredcallaway

On a whim, I decided to start syncing my preferences so I have them backed up consistently.

Hi Fred,

Alfred stores the vast majority of its preferences in the Alfred.alfredpreferences file which lives in ~/Library/Application Support/Alfred 2/ by default. When you choose to set up a sync folder, it simply copies that file to your new sync location. 

As you've tried a few different things, it may not be as clear cut to resolve as it usually is, but provided that you haven't manually changed anything in the original file, reset your sync folder location to ~/Library/Application Support/Alfred 2/ to revert to your settings prior to setting up sync.

Once you've done this:

1. Check that your settings are as you expect in Alfred

2. Delete any Alfred sync files in Dropbox

3. Run Disk Utility's "Repair Permissions" on your Mac in case there are some corrupted permissions stopping Alfred from saving correctly.

4. Create a new sync folder in Dropbox and set up syncing again via Alfred's Advanced preferences.

5. Let Dropbox complete its sync to the server

You should be up and running with your new sync folder. Let me know how you get on :)

:P

You should be up and running with your new sync folder. Let me know how you get on :)

Thanks! Not sure why I didn't think to do that in the first place. I stopped as soon as I got things back to my original settings, and checked to make sure I could change setting. I can't confirm that the bug with dropbox interaction would have been fixed; perhaps it was, as you suggested, simply a permissions problem.

Cheers!