Copying to clipboard doesn't work OSX Apps (textedit, safari, etc)

Ever since doing the last Yosemite update I cannot copy (at all) within the mac apps: textedit, safari, and a few others. When I do a copy of text it just never shows up in the Alfred clipboard.

I attempted to copy the mac version from system info..let me type it out. :(

OS X 10.10.2 (14C1510)

Alfred v2.6 (374)

Edited by rbowlby83

I guess I didn't realize how utterly dependent I've become on the Alfred clipboard. I'll be attempting to rollback the yosemite updates or reinstall as a result of the loss of it. It's the only reason I use Alfred. I would happily do a screenshare with the devs if they find it helpful. Let me know soon though, otherwise I'm rolling back.

I guess I didn't realize how utterly dependent I've become on the Alfred clipboard. I'll be attempting to rollback the yosemite updates or reinstall as a result of the loss of it. It's the only reason I use Alfred. I would happily do a screenshare with the devs if they find it helpful. Let me know soon though, otherwise I'm rolling back.

Are you able to copy/paste at all, but just saying that it won't save to Alfred's clipboard? If that's the case, have you checked that you've enabled Alfred's clipboard in the preferences under Features > Clipboard History?

Make sure that the checkbox next to "Persist for..." is checked to enable Alfred's clipboard:

http://support.alfredapp.com/features:clipboard#feature

Let me know how you get on :)

Thanks for replying Vero and Andrew! I wish it were as simple as it not being enabled. It's that when I have it enabled I can use what currently exists in the clipboard, but I cannot copy new items to the clipboard from a subset of the applications on the local system. Is that a better description?

I wish it were that I'm a budding power user who need but a simple nudge in the right direction(enable the damn thing). Alas, it seems to be either an actual bug or a potential conflict with another user-space application? There's an intermittence to the issue as well; on restart it will work correctly for a seemingly arbitrary amount of time. I'm assuming I'm the only one reporting such troubles post-upgrade to the latest Yosemite? So hopefully it's something simple and not a change in how the system calls for clipboard are being made. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Happy to gather any requisite info!

Edited by rbowlby83

Thanks for replying Vero and Andrew! I wish it were as simple as it not being enabled. It's that when I have it enabled I can use what currently exists in the clipboard, but I cannot copy new items to the clipboard from a subset of the applications on the local system. Is that a better description?

I wish it were that I'm a budding power user who need but a simple nudge in the right direction(enable the damn thing). Alas, it seems to be either an actual bug or a potential conflict with another user-space application? There's an intermittence to the issue as well; on restart it will work correctly for a seemingly arbitrary amount of time. I'm assuming I'm the only one reporting such troubles post-upgrade to the latest Yosemite? So hopefully it's something simple and not a change in how the system calls for clipboard are being made. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Happy to gather any requisite info!

This is an unusual issue, but hopefully it's something simple. 

If you're having issues simply copying, could you try quitting Alfred by going to the bowler hat in your menu bar and choosing Quit. Then, try to copy and paste into Safari or TextEdit? Does copying work at all on your Mac?

It basic copy/pasting isn't working on your Mac even when Alfred is quit, then it's likely that another app is interfering with OS X's ability to copy, or there may indeed be something wrong with your Yosemite update. Check for any third party apps that could be highjacking the Cmd + C hotkey or affecting your Mac's basic copying function.

If the issue only occurs when Alfred is running, let me know and I'll see what else to suggest. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I appear to be having similar problems to rbowlby83...

If I try and copy text to the Alfred Cliipboard and then paste it, the current item might pop up, it might be the previous item that I copied.

When I disable the Alfred Clipboard, copy and paste works properly.  As soon as I restart it, it's back to spinning the roulette wheel as to what I'm going to get.

I'm using Alfred 2.6 (374)

I saved this information for now, I AM using the 10.10.3 public beta and while I do understand, respect and normally comply with not saying anything about using beta OS'es with software, I have run into this problem with 10.10.2 in the past as well, (which is the only reason I'm bringing it up now).

I can't tell if the Alfred Clipboard isn't getting updated quick enough or not, and like rbowlby83, I didn't realize how often I used the feature.

One question though, (outside of my recent problem), is there ANY way to use the Alfred Clipboard manager and select a previously copied piece of text and NOT have it automatically pasted...?

If I press return or mouse click on the previous item, it's automatically pasted, I just want to make it the most current item that's ready to be pasted.  I realize that I can go back to the item and recopy it again, it just doesn't seem intuitive to me :)

If anyone has any suggestions on any of this, it would be greatly appreciated.

Scott

Hi,

I appear to be having similar problems to rbowlby83...

If I try and copy text to the Alfred Cliipboard and then paste it, the current item might pop up, it might be the previous item that I copied.

Hi Scott,

Could you let me know whether you're using another clipboard app, e.g. PopClip? And are you having issues with copying in one specific app or regardless of which app you're copying from? It's possible for apps like PopClip to interfere with Alfred's clipboard when used concurrently.

One question though, (outside of my recent problem), is there ANY way to use the Alfred Clipboard manager and select a previously copied piece of text and NOT have it automatically pasted...?

When showing Alfred's clipboard, choose the item you want and press Cmd + C to copy it to clipboard without pasting :)

Cheers,

Vero

Hi Scott,

Could you let me know whether you're using another clipboard app, e.g. PopClip? And are you having issues with copying in one specific app or regardless of which app you're copying from? It's possible for apps like PopClip to interfere with Alfred's clipboard when used concurrently.

When showing Alfred's clipboard, choose the item you want and press Cmd + C to copy it to clipboard without pasting :)

Cheers,

Vero

Hi Vero,

Yes, actually I AM using PopClip (and downloaded their latest beta version yesterday which addresses Yosemite issues).

While it DID help in the short term, everything went crazy again after a reboot.

I then updated to the 6th (latest) beta of OS X and that didn't help at all.  (Thought that they might have goofed up something within the beta, so I was hopeful.)

Thanks,

Scott 

Hi Vero,

Yes, actually I AM using PopClip (and downloaded their latest beta version yesterday which addresses Yosemite issues).

Unfortunately, we spoke to PopClip's creator Nick Moore about this type of issue last year; He's aware that PopClip can give grief to clipboard managers like Alfred's and interfere with predictable copying, due to the way it does tricky things with the OS X clipboard.

As such, the behaviour you're seeing isn't caused by Alfred, but by PopClip, so this is out of our control.