Different behavior of File Search 'action' panel invoked by 'File Selection' hotkey vs. 'Show Actions' buttons

When I use the appropriate 'Show Actions' button on a file/folder name, Alfred pulls up the action panel for the item.. and if I want to go back to the original Alfred panel, I can hit escape, and it puts me back where I was in Alfred. If I instead use the 'File Selection' hotkey to do the same, when I hit escape, it just kicks me out of Alfred. Is this by design? I think the hotkey invocation should act the same, but it doesn't appear to. Thoughts?

Thanks

When I use the appropriate 'Show Actions' button on a file/folder name, Alfred pulls up the action panel for the item.. and if I want to go back to the original Alfred panel, I can hit escape, and it puts me back where I was in Alfred. If I instead use the 'File Selection' hotkey to do the same, when I hit escape, it just kicks me out of Alfred. Is this by design? I think the hotkey invocation should act the same, but it doesn't appear to. Thoughts?

Thanks

It is by design. In Alfred, in the typical file search/navigation you, you have context. You have performed a search or navigated into a folder or selected a folder to perform an action on. You have something that you've done. From the File Selection key, that selected file is your only context. There is no previous step that you were at for you to go back to if you press Esc. I guess it COULD be argued that you could make it fall back to the parent folder but that may not always be the desired case. A workflow could be created fairly easily (just a hotkey) that would just select the currently selected Finder file in Alfred. Then you could press right arrow for actions, or press Esc to go back. From there you could press Cmd+Up to navigate back up the file structure.

Thanks,

I guess I'm misunderstanding at a basic level.

For example:

I invoke Alfred, and type 'find foo'

At this point is where I'm confused. It seems like I can do two things to get to the actions panel.. either, press the tab key, or press opt-cmd-\ .

Both take me to the action panel for the file I had selected in Alfred. Only the tab key action allows me back to Alfred with 'find foo' there when I press 'esc'.. the opt-cmd-\ hotkey path kicks me out of Alfred if I try to go back doing the same key press (esc). I started from the same location, and the only thing different is the key combination to get to the action panel, so it seems like it should do the same thing in both cases to get back?

edit: Aaand yes, I think I understand now.. I'm not supposed to be using the opt-cmd-\ in the Alfred list. That was my confusion.. I just now realized that I can use that key combination in the Finder. Ha ha, can you tell I'm new to the way of the Alfred? Thanks. I get it. But it is( ~was) confusing that the 'external' key combo works in Alfred's list.

Edited by effe