Fuzzy matching partly broken in Yosemite? [Fixed 2.7.2 b406]

multicolor

Dear all,

I'm quite sure it appeared when I updated to Yosemite, or less likely when updating to Alfred v. 2.7 or 2.71.

Basically, fuzzy matching works fine when just searching in Alfred, but not anymore from file actions or using Quick Search.

It works only when simply searching in Alfred, i.e. 'tw' gives TextWrangler as result. But previously it was possible to do when actioning Finder items and also with Quick search. But sadly not any more..

How to reproduce (one way):
1. In Advanced set the setting 'Apps Matching' to 'Full fuzzy match from word boundary'. 
2. Select a few files in Finder
3. Action the items using the hotkey defined in (Features > File Search > Actions > File Selection)
4. Choose 'Open with..'
5. Write a string that would work with fuzzy matching, for example 'db' for Dropbox or 'ps' for Photoshop
6. Verify that fuzzy matching works else by just writing for example 'db' into the basic Alfred prompt

I'm sure this worked for me before. I wonder if anyone else have experienced this? My muscle memory for this lovely app feels deprecated at the moment..  :unsure:

Best regards,
M

Dear all,

I'm quite sure it appeared when I updated to Yosemite, or less likely when updating to Alfred v. 2.7 or 2.71.

Basically, fuzzy matching works fine when just searching in Alfred, but not anymore from file actions or using Quick Search.

It works only when simply searching in Alfred, i.e. 'tw' gives TextWrangler as result. But previously it was possible to do when actioning Finder items and also with Quick search. But sadly not any more..

How to reproduce (one way):
1. In Advanced set the setting 'Apps Matching' to 'Full fuzzy match from word boundary'. 
2. Select a few files in Finder
3. Action the items using the hotkey defined in (Features > File Search > Actions > File Selection)
4. Choose 'Open with..'
5. Write a string that would work with fuzzy matching, for example 'db' for Dropbox or 'ps' for Photoshop
6. Verify that fuzzy matching works else by just writing for example 'db' into the basic Alfred prompt

I'm sure this worked for me before. I wonder if anyone else have experienced this? My muscle memory for this lovely app feels deprecated at the moment..  :unsure:

Best regards,
M

Yes, I also see this behavior (Yosemite, Alfred 2.7.1). But I don't think fuzzy matching has ever worked for me from file actions, it would be convenient if this could be fixed.

Ah thanks for spotting this - It used to work (with e.g. Open With) but looks like Yosemite doesn't include certain file metadata Alfred used for this anymore. I'm going to move this into bug reports and see what I can do...

Cheers,

Andrew

A quick +1 that I'd love to have fuzzy matching for File Actions. I just created a bunch of File Action workflows to help me organize my photos and fuzzy matching is going to make the process so much more joyful!

Thanks for all of your work on Alfred, Andrew & team!

Marcos

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Unfortunately, this seems to have been broken once again, at least fuzzy matching for file actions does not work for me on Alfred 2.8/OS X 10.11.

Yes indeed, I agree. In fact, I don't think it ever worked for me even in OS X 10.10..

Cheers, M

Edited by multicolor