Symlinked Applications not recognized?

David

1. Install HomeBrew 
  2. Install MacVim
  3. Run command 
    brew linkapps macvim
    in Terminal

Now, you have a working MacVim in your /Applications folder. You can run it in Finder from /Applications/MacVim or from Spotlight Search.

However, Alfred doesn't see it (i assume because of the symlink: /Applications/MacVim.app -> /usr/local/opt/macvim/MacVim.app ).

Alfred 2.7.1

OS X 10.10.3

1. Install HomeBrew
  2. Install MacVim
  3. Run command 
    brew linkapps macvim
    in Terminal

Now, you have a working MacVim in your /Applications folder. You can run it in Finder from /Applications/MacVim or from Spotlight Search.

However, Alfred doesn't see it (i assume because of the symlink: /Applications/MacVim.app -> /usr/local/opt/macvim/MacVim.app ).

Alfred 2.7.1

OS X 10.10.3

Hi David,

Take a look at this page, which details adding the correct path to Alfred's search scope in order to add it to the results:

http://support.alfredapp.com/kb:symlinked-apps

Cheers,

Vero

Thanks for your reply,

i understand the workaround but it's not exactly... convenient since you'd have to manually add a path for every App.

Also some Apps have the version number in the Path so it breaks when the App is updated.

for example  /opt/homebrew-cask/Caskroom/iterm2/2.0

Thanks for your reply,

In fact, Andrew has seen this thread and reminded me that he's added support for this in a recent release. (I'll also be updating the support page accordingly)

If you go to Alfred's Features > Default Results and click "Reset" on the search scope (keeping in mind any customised paths you've added to re-add), you'll see that there are two new additions to the default searched paths:

/opt/homebrew-cask/Caskroom

/usr/local/Cellar

So once you've done this, you should be sorted :)