Navigate bookmarks by folder

What I am trying to do is launch Alfred, type the name of a folder, then see all the bookmarks in that folder.

Does anyone know if this is possible out of the box or with an extension?

What browser are you referring to? It's certainly possible to search bookmarks. A file filter can do it for Safari. There are workflows for search Chrome bookmarks. I'm not saying they don't exist but I'm not aware of any that allow the method you are requesting though (searching by folder).

• 3 weeks later...

I am requesting search by folder.  So for example I do "Business" (folder name), it then displays all the

in said folder.

David was asking which browser's bookmarks you'd like to search/navigate, as not all browsers are the same or store their contents in the same way. If you could let us know if you're referring to Safari, Chrome, Firefox, etc, we'll be able to help you further in searching your bookmarks. :)

However, as David said above, to my knowledge, there isn't a way to filter bookmarks to only show those in a specific folder, as the data provided by the browser doesn't include details of the enclosing folder.

Don't forget that you can create custom searches without a {query} in Alfred's Features > Web Search, so you can also add your own bookmarks that way (amongst the many possible ways of keeping bookmarks!)

Hope this helps :)

Vero

Safari also provides a hierarchical list of its bookmarks at ~/Library/Safari/Bookmarks.plist.

Awesome.  Assuming their is no extension for this already for navigating this already?  How would one set this up?  I can't seem to access that file in the normal Alfred finder.

Does the file exist or not?

Not sure the official name but however you find and open files and folders in Alfred.

Alfred would consider this a system. That being said, he wouldn't normally show this file in a standard file search. If you copy the file path and paste that into Alfred, it should show that file in the results. I'm unaware of a workflow to search this but, to have Alfred search this, you would need a workflow that would read and parse this file and then allow you to search the contents. 

This should do the trick:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/10123941/Safari%20Bookmark%20Folders.alfredworkflow

Default keyword is "bookmarks". It'll show all the bookmark folders by default. If you enter a query, it'll filter the list of folders. If you select a folder (or type in its full name), you'll see a list of the bookmarks in that folder.

One limitation: folder names must be unique. If you have multiple folders with the same name, only the last will be used.

That's relatively easily fixed, but then you have the problem of multiple folders with the same name…

Edited by deanishe