Alfred indexing not working properly

Hi,

I know there's plenty of threads about the same issue: Alfred not indexing. I did read some of them:

http://www.alfredforum.com/topic/5830-alfred-cant-see-one-particular-folder/?hl=indexing#entry35891

http://www.alfredforum.com/topic/5808-apps-not-indexing-despite-being-in-search-path-and-spotlight-finding-it/?hl=indexing

But I can't find a solution. I went through all these steps a couple times, but the problem persist. I made sure files that Spotlight finds are in the Alfred scope, but still...

I tested the Alfred metadata tool for one of the files it can't find and this is what I get:

/Applications/Divvy.app

Internal File Metadata
======================

Display Name: Divvy
    Alt Names: Divvy.app
    File Type: com.apple.application-bundle
     Comments: 
     Keywords: 
    Last Used: 

Raw mdls File Metadata
======================

kMDItemAlternateNames          = (
    "Divvy.app"
)
kMDItemCFBundleIdentifier      = "com.mizage.direct.Divvy"
kMDItemContentCreationDate     = 2014-10-22 20:15:54 +0000
kMDItemContentModificationDate = 2014-10-22 20:15:54 +0000
kMDItemContentType             = "com.apple.application-bundle"
kMDItemContentTypeTree         = (
    "com.apple.application-bundle",
    "com.apple.application",
    "public.executable",
    "com.apple.localizable-name-bundle",
    "com.apple.bundle",
    "public.directory",
    "public.item",
    "com.apple.package"
)
kMDItemDateAdded               = 2015-02-15 09:05:16 +0000
kMDItemDisplayName             = "Divvy"
kMDItemExecutableArchitectures = (
    ppc,
    i386,
    "x86_64"
)
kMDItemFSContentChangeDate     = 2014-10-22 20:15:54 +0000
kMDItemFSCreationDate          = 2014-10-22 20:15:54 +0000
kMDItemFSCreatorCode           = ""
kMDItemFSFinderFlags           = 0
kMDItemFSHasCustomIcon         = (null)
kMDItemFSInvisible             = 0
kMDItemFSIsExtensionHidden     = 1
kMDItemFSIsStationery          = (null)
kMDItemFSLabel                 = 0
kMDItemFSName                  = "Divvy.app"
kMDItemFSNodeCount             = 1
kMDItemFSOwnerGroupID          = 20
kMDItemFSOwnerUserID           = 501
kMDItemFSSize                  = 6359930
kMDItemFSTypeCode              = ""
kMDItemKind                    = "Application"
kMDItemLanguages               = (
    English
)
kMDItemLogicalSize             = 6359930
kMDItemPhysicalSize            = 6713344
kMDItemVersion                 = "1.4.1"

I've being struggling with this for month, gotten used to it. Now, I use both Alfred and Spotlight, but I don't thing this is ideal. Any suggestions? Thanks

I've being struggling with this for month, gotten used to it. Now, I use both Alfred and Spotlight, but I don't thing this is ideal. Any suggestions? Thanks

That metadata looks good so Alfred should be able to find that without problems. There may be a reason Alfred can't access his cache db (e.g. permissions or corruption). Before helping you fix something like this, could you please temporarily create a new user account, switch to that user and try searching for divvy to see if it's found?

Cheers,

Andrew

That metadata looks good so Alfred should be able to find that without problems. There may be a reason Alfred can't access his cache db (e.g. permissions or corruption). Before helping you fix something like this, could you please temporarily create a new user account, switch to that user and try searching for divvy to see if it's found?

Cheers,

Andrew

Done! Alfred does find divvy.app when logged in as another user. What's the fix then? Thanks!

Edited by MarceFX

Done! Alfred does find divvy.app when logged in as another user. What's the fix then? Thanks!

I think the first thing to do is to quit Alfred and then manually delete the cache db in Terminal by pasting:

rm ~/Library/Application\ Support/Alfred\ 2/Databases/filecache.alfdb

Then reset permissions on the Alfred 2 app support folder by pasting the following in Terminal:

chmod -R u+rwX,go+rX ~/Library/Application\ Support/Alfred\ 2/

xattr -rc ~/Library/Application\ Support/Alfred\ 2/

Then restart Alfred. It might also be worth hitting the reset button on the Features > Default Results > Search Scope in case something has happened there.

Let me know how you get on!

Cheers,

Andrew

I think the first thing to do is to quit Alfred and then manually delete the cache db in Terminal by pasting:

rm ~/Library/Application\ Support/Alfred\ 2/Databases/filecache.alfdb

Then reset permissions on the Alfred 2 app support folder by pasting the following in Terminal:

chmod -R u+rwX,go+rX ~/Library/Application\ Support/Alfred\ 2/

xattr -rc ~/Library/Application\ Support/Alfred\ 2/

Then restart Alfred. It might also be worth hitting the reset button on the Features > Default Results > Search Scope in case something has happened there.

Let me know how you get on!

Cheers,

Andrew

Done. But after that, divvy.app is still not showing up. I'm rebuilding the index again and see how it goes :-/

Edited by MarceFX

Done. But after that, divvy.app is still not showing up. I'm rebuilding the index again and see how it goes :-/

If you check, has ~/Library/Application\ Support/Alfred\ 2/Databases/filecache.alfdb been re-created (with creation date today and a non-zero file size?).

Also, when reindexing, did you select to delete the ./Spotlight-V100 folder?

If you check, has ~/Library/Application\ Support/Alfred\ 2/Databases/filecache.alfdb been re-created (with creation date today and a non-zero file size?).

Also, when reindexing, did you select to delete the ./Spotlight-V100 folder?

Yes and yes. This is how filecache.alfdb looks like:

Databases.jpg?dl=0

Yes and yes. This is how filecache.alfdb looks like:

Would you mind emailing me the filecache.alfdb file (our info@alfredapp address) so I can take a look?

Also, could you try deleting and reinstalling Divvy which will force OS X to treat it as a new file in the index.

Cheers,

Andrew

Would you mind emailing me the filecache.alfdb file (our info@alfredapp address) so I can take a look?

Also, could you try deleting and reinstalling Divvy which will force OS X to treat it as a new file in the index.

Cheers,

Andrew

File sent :-) Although now I can't search for apps. Since I rebuilt the index, apps are not showing up :-( Skype is the one I most used, but now this is what I get:

Alfred_2.jpg?dl=0

By the way, Divvy is not the only file I miss in Alfred. This issue happens with tons of files, but I can remember any other right now. I'll let you know. Thanks for your support.

Edited by MarceFX

By the way, Divvy is not the only file I miss in Alfred. This issue happens with tons of files, but I can remember any other right now. I'll let you know. Thanks for your support.

I've just replied to your email - don't worry, we'll get to the bottom of this :)