Selectable Text in Alfred Preview

Is there any way at all to write a general "search" workflow that allows you to you to "select text" when using the Preview command (shift or cmd Y).  This would be great in something like QR Ref workflow the brilliant (http://www.alfredforum.com/topic/3153-quick-ref-quickly-reference-files-eg-cheat-sheets-using-quick-look/)

I used the terminal command to allow "selectable text" on my Mac, but it doesn't translate when using QuickLook on Alfred.

Is there any way at all to write a general "search" workflow that allows you to you to "select text" when using the Preview command (shift or cmd Y).  This would be great in something like QR Ref workflow the brilliant (http://www.alfredforum.com/topic/3153-quick-ref-quickly-reference-files-eg-cheat-sheets-using-quick-look/)

I used the terminal command to allow "selectable text" on my Mac, but it doesn't translate when using QuickLook on Alfred.

Alfred uses the OS X QuickLook feature, which doesn't allow for text to be selected. However, if you QuickLook it and it's the right file, launch it and you'll be able to select text in the file itself. :)

Thanks.  I am aware that I can open the file and select it, but that creates additional navigation that I was trying to avoid...navigation that I don't have to use outside of Alfred.  QuickLook does allow selectable text if you use the following command line:  

defaults write com.apple.finder QLEnableTextSelection -bool TRUE; killall Finder

This has been indispensible to me for years. 

Thanks,

John

I copied the terminal command in my previous response.  Paste it into terminal plain text.  Previously, I used this terminal command and it worked:

defaults write com.apple.finder QLEnableTextSelection -boolean YES; killall Finder

I think both work.  Selectable Text in QuickLook is the best thing ever!  I wish I could use it in Alfred, particularly with QuickRef and Cheaters workflows.

I copied the terminal command in my previous response.  Paste it into terminal plain text.  Previously, I used this terminal command and it worked:

defaults write com.apple.finder QLEnableTextSelection -boolean YES; killall Finder

I think both work.  Selectable Text in QuickLook is the best thing ever!  I wish I could use it in Alfred, particularly with QuickRef and Cheaters workflows.

I've had a look and it looks like Andrew has previously investigated this to see whether we could make this available in Alfred. Unfortunately, this feature isn't available to third-party applications using QuickLook:

http://www.alfredforum.com/topic/1175-text-selection-feature-in-quick-look-is-not-respected/

Having said that, I've added a ticket for us to look into it again and consider it if it becomes available :)

Cheers,

Vero

I misread something from your first post John ^^ It works. I was just trying it with Alfred (silly me).

If it would be possible to bring this to Alfred then that would be really cool. I hope its possible.

Thanks for looking into it Vero and for your Response Johny.

Cheers,

Frozen

Perhaps there is a workaround solution, like a hotkey that could handoff to Mac's native QuickLook.  

I often preview a document in Alfred, find what I need then move back to my application, but about a third of the time I come across a long phrase or unmemorable string of numbers/text that I sure could use the ability to copy before moving back to my current application.  Instead I have to open file, copy, go back to application, thus disrupting my workflow and focus.  It's not the worst, but this would make it more seamless.   Using a hotkey to achieve this would not be disrupting.

Anyway, I appreciate that you're looking into it.  :)