App Freeze — Pause and resume execution of the frontmost app

@Vìtor

1°) I just tried the workflow and it works pretty well  :)  Thanks for sharing it.

I was wondering what particular use cases you had in mind when you created it? 

2°) Feature request :

I believe that adding a notification (Post notification or Large type) showing that the application is "on pause" would make sense.

For example when I paused an archive extraction in Forklift the only info showing me the application was "on pause" was a spinning wheel. 

As ForkLift often shows me a spinning wheel, especially when backing up my file, I found it a little bit confusing the first time I used the workflow.

I thought "here we go, ForkLift is crashing, again". While it was not.

What do you think?

I was just thinking how awesome it would be to set timeouts for apps to be frozen across the entire laptop automatically.

Like if I haven't switched to some app for a while, auto-suspend it. It would require an exclusion list (like to ignore terminal and chat apps), but I still think it can be awesome for battery life.

Yeah, almost forgot to say thanks, learned a new thing today about the kill command :)

Edited by Maddog

politicus: see the story I link to in the top post. I liked the use case there and found his story fun, so I decided to create this. I don’t think I’ll even use it myself, though — it was built really only because I enjoyed the story and felt like creating it.

Adding notifications sounds reasonable. I’ll do it soon.

Maddog: not only would that be out of scope for this workflow in particular, that does not make much sense for any Alfred workflow (or regular app, for that matter). You’re suggesting something that works autonomously, and that is not the job of an Alfred workflow — those should be explicitly called.

Most importantly, though, even an app would be subpar, as that is the job of the OS itself, and OS X already does it.

Xyx3Dwp.png

• 6 months later...
  • vitor changed the title to App Freeze — Pause and resume execution of the frontmost app