Settings resetting in El Capitan after restart.

First, to be clear, I know El Capitan is in beta and I do not expect you to support prerelease software. I'm sure that it's crazy annoying to get flooded with support requests for something that isn't stable and hasn't even been released yet.

With that said, I am experiencing a problem with Alfred on El Capitan and wanted to offer any assistance in troubleshooting if it can be of any assistance to you.

The issue I'm having is that any time I exit Alfred and restart it Alfred seems to lose most of it's settings.

Every time I restart it looses settings like custom hotkeys, search scopes, custom searches, themes and advanced appearance settings all seem to be reset to the defaults. However, workflows, sync folder, Powerpack license and usage are all carried over just fine.

It doesn't look like /Users/cwhite/Library/Application Support/Alfred 2/Alfred.alfredpreferences is getting updated while exiting or relaunching, the last change time was from this afternoon before I updated to El Capitan. 

Setup notes: I did an update install from Yosemite. I am on Alfred 2.7.1 (387). With the exception of iStat Menus everything I've tried this evening since updating has worked as expected though I did have to re-enable some apps to launch at startup.

If I can do anything to help please let me know how, otherwise keep up the incredible work you do on Alfred! 

Thanks

First, to be clear, I know El Capitan is in beta and I do not expect you to support prerelease software. I'm sure that it's crazy annoying to get flooded with support requests for something that isn't stable and hasn't even been released yet.

First, could you launch Disk Utility and repair permissions on your drive? This is the most common reason for Alfred being unable to save his preferences, and it's not unusual for an update to corrupt some OS X permissions in the process.

If you're still seeing the issue, do let us know and we'll take a look as we start testing out El Capitan ourselves :)

First, could you launch Disk Utility and repair permissions on your drive? This is the most common reason for Alfred being unable to save his preferences, and it's not unusual for an update to corrupt some OS X permissions in the process.

If you're still seeing the issue, do let us know and we'll take a look as we start testing out El Capitan ourselves :)

Disk Utility in El Capitan no longer has Repair Permissions. Apple axed it. The repair permissions functionality is supposed to be automatic now.

Disk Utility in El Capitan no longer has Repair Permissions. Apple axed it. The repair permissions functionality is supposed to be automatic now.

Thanks for letting me know... It'll be interesting to see what reliability is like then...

Given ctwise's feedback that there's no longer a Repair Permissions option, you can do it using Terminal instead by pasting the following two commands in. Note that these assume you haven't set a sync folder and uses the default location for your preferences:

chmod -R u+rwX,go+rX ~/Library/Application\ Support/Alfred\ 2/
xattr -rc ~/Library/Application\ Support/Alfred\ 2/

Let me know how you get on :)

Cheers,

Vero

Yeah, I don't see any repair permissions feature in Disk Utility unless it's built into the 'First Aid' feature. I went ahead and run this:

cportable:~ cwhite$ chmod -R u+rwX,go+rX ~/Library/Application\ Support/Alfred\ 2/
cportable:~ cwhite$ xattr -rc ~/Library/Application\ Support/Alfred\ 2/
cportable:~ cwhite$ chmod -R u+rwX,go+rX /Users/cwhite/Dropbox/Apps/Alfred
cportable:~ cwhite$ xattr -rc /Users/cwhite/Dropbox/Apps/Alfred

No difference, Alfred is still reseting on restart.

I guess this would be a good time to finally reprogram my muscle memory to use Alfred default hotkeys instead of my old Launchbar ones  :)

Yeah, I don't see any repair permissions feature in Disk Utility unless it's built into the 'First Aid' feature. I went ahead and run this:

cportable:~ cwhite$ chmod -R u+rwX,go+rX ~/Library/Application\ Support/Alfred\ 2/
cportable:~ cwhite$ xattr -rc ~/Library/Application\ Support/Alfred\ 2/
cportable:~ cwhite$ chmod -R u+rwX,go+rX /Users/cwhite/Dropbox/Apps/Alfred
cportable:~ cwhite$ xattr -rc /Users/cwhite/Dropbox/Apps/Alfred

No difference, Alfred is still reseting on restart.

I guess this would be a good time to finally reprogram my muscle memory to use Alfred default hotkeys instead of my old Launchbar ones  :)

I've noticed that you are using the Dropbox Apps folder which has been known to cause some syncing issues... could you try setting Alfred to sync to a different folder within Dropbox?

Cheers,

Andrew

Sorry Andrew, I got really slammed on a project and haven't had time to play with this again until today. I tried moving it out of Dropbox and Alfred seems to be working fine now but it's also possible something else may have changed on my system since I had previously restarted Alfred.

I seem to be good but I'm not if this gives you much certainty in Alfred on El Capitan.

Thanks for the help!

Sorry Andrew, I got really slammed on a project and haven't had time to play with this again until today. I tried moving it out of Dropbox and Alfred seems to be working fine now but it's also possible something else may have changed on my system since I had previously restarted Alfred.

I seem to be good but I'm not if this gives you much certainty in Alfred on El Capitan.

Thanks for the help!

Hey Chris

When Andrew mentioned Dropbox before, did you notice that he said the issue was potentially specific to the Apps folder within Dropbox, not Dropbox in general. The Apps folder within Dropbox is reserved for apps that make use of the official Dropbox API. We've seen issues in the past with users saving their preferences within this folder. If things are persisting after you removed it from that folder, try it again in Dropbox, but try with another folder. See if that works and let us know how things go.