Advanced Google Maps and Apple Maps Search Workflow - Version 2.0.2 Release 12 February 2018

Howdy all,

So, for you fine people who have given me so many awesome workflows, I give you the Advanced Google Maps AND NOW APPLE MAPS Search Workflow available on Github --> https://github.com/stuartcryan/advanced-google-maps-alfred-workflow.

A couple of quick things:

1. Didn't you just release a major update 1.3.0? Yahuh, I most certainly did, however after that some amazing ideas came out of the woodworks, and it became a mere stepping stone to what the workflow is today.
  2. Why didn't you wait to release 2.0.0? Quite simply, I thought it was complete, however, like I mentioned above, some GREAT ideas came out in the week after release from some passionate members of the community, and I figured, WHY NOT! In putting these in, I was able to create added flexibility when re-working the code base, to support several features that previously, were not possible.
  3. Why 2.0.0 not 1.4.0? The 2.0.0 release has changed a lot, including adding Apple Maps Support, new updating mechanism, all new location for configuration, and other major changes. Hence 2.0.0 seemed more appropriate.
  4. Why 2.0.1? @deanishe found a bug in his favourite part of the flow he had been waiting for... it has now been squashed!

So please enjoy, this release has had EXTENSIVE testing prior to release, I have to say I am pretty chuffed with it all around!

Stuart

Easy directions from or to multiple locations, using either Google Maps or Apple Maps. Now includes custom locations in addition to just home and work, auto updating, and a wealth of new features for you to sink your teeth into.

Getting to Know the Flow - Course available for $14.99USD

With the explosion of features, added configuration complexity, and awesomeness of the 2.0.0 major release (and overhaul), I have opted for a different tact, to ensure the support overhead is limited.

I have put together an hour long course for only $14.99USD that covers off every configuration option of the workflow, how to get up and running, getting into the advanced nitty gritty, and so on.

The course will be updated as any new usability or training needs are identified, and I will commit to the course being updated through the entire V2.0.0 release. I do reserve the right to extend that to the next release if I later choose.

Version 1.3.0 and version 2.0.1 represent almost the entirety of my holiday break over December-2017 and January-2018. I would anticipate I have over $6000 in time into this flow for these two versions alone, plus costs for the new logo, and costs for Closed Captioning.

So don't delay and check out the course, there are a few videos set to preview so you can try before you buy!

Donations

Alternatively if a course is not your thing... You can just donate to me directly! If everyone who downloaded gave $20, that would make me a very happy camper and give me something back for my time, it would also enable me to have a custom icon set created for the flow.

So if you love the workflow, get use out of it every day, and would love to see me continuing development, a donation is a great way. You can either donate to me via Fundly which gives the option of a re-occurring donation and also has some suggestions, donate to me via Patreon (if that is your preference) or donate to me via Paypal which is nice and easy.

PayPal — The safer, easier way to pay online. 68747470733a2f2f63352e70617472656f6e2e636f6d2f65787465726e616c2f6c6f676f2f6265636f6d655f615f706174726f6e5f627574746f6e4032782e706e67

2.0.0+ Release Compatibility Information

In 1.3.0 the home and work locations, required setting up again due to a bug with special characters.

In 2.0.0 the home and work locations have been moved out of the keychain (which was a legacy method of handling them before Alfred had workflow environment variables). Old locations can still be used as they would have without further intervention. However, the mapsethome and mapsetwork commands have now been removed. To add/update these now you must do so on the workflow environment variables config screen. I would also recommend you run 'zcleanmapsoldaddresses' to remove the old addresses from your Apple keychain.

Installation

1. Ensure you have Alfred installed with the Alfred Powerpack License
  2. Download the Advanced_Google_Maps_Search.alfredworkflow file
  3. Open the .alfredworkflow file to import into Alfred
  4. Set up the workflow configuration parameters as you desire (see below for additional details), by clicking on the little [X] in the top right hand of the Workflow page in Alfred
  5. Complete the advanced steps below to add additional (and awesome) functionality

Current Location Feature Installation and Configuration

If you wish to use the 'Directions from Current Location - dirfc' command or the 'here' modifier, you will need to also install homebrew and the CoreLocationCLI package.

1. Install Homebrew using instructions from https://brew.sh/
  2. Install the CoreLocationCLI utility by running the following command in a terminal 'brew cask install corelocationcli'.
  3. Check your installed location by running 'which CoreLocationCLI'
  4. Ensure the workflow environment variable on the Workflow Configuration screen matches the installed location.

Contact Address Handler Configuration

If you wish to use this workflow to handle directions to a contact's address you may do so by completing the following additional steps.

1. In Alfred's Preferences click on Features --> Contacts
  2. Double click on the 'Address' field
  3. In the dropdown, select "Search Contact Address with Advanced Google and Apple Maps Search"
  4. Ensure you correctly configure the contactHandler parameter as per the instructions under the Configuration section.

Fallback Search Setup

If you wish to use this workflow to handle fallback searches in Alfred, you can now do this too!

1. In Alfred's Preferences click on Features --> Default Results
  2. Click the button to 'Setup Fallback Results'
  3. Click the small + sign to add a new record
  4. Select any of the available fallback searches provided by the workflow to add them to your personal fallback search results.

Configuration

Explanation of each of the Workflow Environment Variables

• contactHandler: Used as the default mechanism to handle Contact address searches. Supports two formats including "drive here to" (current location to Contact's address) "drive to here" (Contact's address to Current Location) or "('computerName:drive here to','default:drive here to')"
  • CoreLocationCLIBinary: Defines the location of the installed CoreLocationCLIBinary. Supports two formats including "/usr/local/bin/CoreLocationCLI" or "('computerName:/some/other/location/CoreLocationCLI','default:/usr/local/bin/CoreLocationCLI')"
  • currentLocationFallback: Used as the fallback address in case CoreLocationCLI is not installed, or fails (especially if WiFi is unavailable, or turned off). Supports two formats including "Some Address in Some State 20023" or "('computerName:home','someOtherComputerName:Some Address in Some State 20023','default:work')"
  • customLocations: Supports custom location modifiers for all dir* commands. Please note, this does not dynamically add new dirfx or dirtx commands. Must be formatted in the following fashion: "('gym:49 Queens Rd, Five Dock NSW 2046','school:1A Harris Rd, Five Dock NSW 2046')"
  • defaultTransportationMode: Defines the default transportation fallback mode if none is specified at runtime. Possible values include: "pt" for Public Transport, drive, walk or bike. Supports two formats including "bike" or "('computerName:pt','someOtherComputerName:walk','default:drive')"
  • googleLocal: Defines which Google Locale to use such as 'com.au', 'com.tw' or 'com' as some examples. Supports two formats including "com.au" or "('computerName:com.au','someOtherComputerName:com.tw','default:com')"
  • homeAddress: New storage location for Home Address. Supports two formats including "Some Address" or "('computerName:Some Address','someOtherComputerName:Another Address','default:A Third Address')"
  • workAddress: New storage location for Work Address. Supports two formats including "Some Address" or "('computerName:Some Address','someOtherComputerName:Another Address','default:A Third Address')"
  • mapsHandler: PLEASE NOTE this only supports a value of either "Google" or "Apple" and may not have a computer specific value.

Recommended Example Configuration for Workflow Environment Variables

• contactHandler: ('default:drive here to')
  • CoreLocationCLIBinary: ('default:/usr/local/bin/CoreLocationCLI')
  • currentLocationFallback: ('default:home')
  • customLocations: ('gym:GYM ADDRESS','school:SCHOOL ADDRESS')
  • defaultTransportationMode: ('default:drive')
  • googleLocal: com
  • homeAddress: Your Home Address
  • workAddress: Your Work Address
  • mapsHandler: Google

Notes on Caveats with Apple Maps

Apple Maps does not support as many functions as Google Maps and there are two main areas that will cause graceful errors when using Apple Maps. If you attempt to use the 'bike' modifier anywhere, Apple Maps does not support such directions and therefore we gracefully tell you this won't work.

Secondly, Apple Maps does not support waypoints or building up an itinerary. Therefore if you attempt to use the dir command with more than just an origin and a destination (such as home to shops to work), we will gracefully error out and tell you such a function is not possible.

Usage

• dir to to etc (seperate multiple addresses with " to " minus the quotes, and you will get a multiple location search when using Google Maps only)
  • [NEW] dir now does all the heavy lifting. You can use the modifiers 'here' (current location, must have CoreLocationCLI installed), 'work' and 'home' in any query. For example 'dir home to work to new york'.
  • [NEW] dirfc this will use your current location (WiFi card must be active) to the destination.
  • [NEW] dirtc Show directions from query to current location
  • [NEW] All commands now support the following modifiers: walk, bike, drive, pt (public transport). The modifier can be invoked by 'dirX ' e.g. 'dirfw pt home ' will give you public transport directions. This also works with 'dir' and multiple waypoints. Please note, the transport modifier must be the first parameter you pass to any dirX command, for example 'dirfw home pt' is not valid.
  • [NEW] Localisation now defaults to USA, hence make sure you update workflow parameters if you wish to use a different country code on the Google URL.
  • dirfw Show directions from Work to address
  • dirfh Show directions from Home to address
  • dirtw Show directions from query to Work address
  • dirth Show directions from query to Home address
  • trafficw - Show traffic from Home to Work
  • traffich - Show traffic from Work to Home
  • [NEW] dir now supports up to 9 waypoints for Google Maps. For example 'dir origin to waypoint 1 to waypoint 2 etc to destination'

Integration hooks for Other Workflow Providers

This workflow now supports integration using external nodes. They suppor the same methods and modifiers as described for the rest of the workflow. This means you can now hook into this workflow to leverage the 'here', 'work', 'home' and other custom modifiers set up by a user, as well as provide routing directions based on your input.

Please review the workflow for each of the hooks available.

History

Version 2.0.2

• Fixed comma issues in all the dirfX commands by quoting the strings

Version 2.0.1

• Fixed dirtw bike command... it hadn't been connected... after all the testing! #oops Thanks @deanishe

Version 2.0.0

• Renamed workflow to 'Advanced Google and Apple Maps Workflow for Alfred'. Left bundleID intact deliberately
  • Changed workflow logo to support new multi-brand mix
  • Added feature for custom locations other than 'home' and 'work'
  • Added default transportation mode setting
  • Added fallback location setting in case there are issues with CoreLocationCLI
  • Added hooks for Alfred fallback searches (for example if you load Alfred and just enter an address without invoking the workflow)
  • Added multi-machine configuration parameters and provided a default catchall feature for this
  • Added contact address handler functionality (to enable the workflow to serve as a Contact Address Handler hook)
  • Migrated (future) work and home addresses out of keychain.
  • Added keychain cleanup function once addresses have been manually migrated to workflow environment variables
  • Implemented OneUpdater code by Vitor so updating will be simple as pie
  • Externalised Perl code for much better gitifying, as well as better code reuse
  • Added external triggers for other workflows to hook into
  • Various code cleanups
  • Significantly improved error handling to do things more gracefully
  • Rectified issues with commas in addresses causing things to break a little
  • Other minor bug fixes and improvements as I went along through the code, improved readability also
  • Released an hour long course to help people get the workflow up and running.

Version 1.3.1

• Fixed dirfh and dirfw to actually use home and work respectively, not here. #oops

Version 1.3.0

• dirfc: Directions from Current Address. See the installation instructions above to install Homebrew and CoreLocationCLI
  • dirtc: Directions to Current Address. See the installation instructions above to install Homebrew and CoreLocationCLI
  • dir, dirfc and dirtc now support Google transit type (walk, drive, pt [public transport] and bike)
  • dir now supports 'here'. Here anywhere in the transit plan translates to the current GPS coordinates using CoreLocationCLI. Technically this probably does away with the need for dirfc and dirtc, but, leaving them there for consistency.
  • dir now supports 'work' and 'home' as modifiers
  • Overhaul of changes to properly use Google API parameters
  • Mass code cleanup and refactoring for simplification. Most flows now leverage the dir base code.
  • Additional error handling implemented surrounding maximum number of waypoints
  • Fixed a bug where special characters would not work in stored URLs
  • Implemented a workflow environment variable for getting a local Google URL
  • Changed to use Alfred's native URL opening functionality, this enables you to select a preferred browser

Version 1.2 - Actually this never made it out of beta, despite working, I have been kinda busy.

Version 1.1 - Set default search to be google.com rather than google.com.au

Version 1.0 - Initial Release

Credits

Created by Stuart Ryan. If you would like to get into contact you can do so via:

License

Released under the GNU GENERAL PUBLIC LICENSE Version 2, June 1991

Edited by stuartcryan
2.0.2 bugfix release
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Top work, Stuart.  I only came here looking for a way to change the default location for maps search, and this fixes that as well as doing so much more :-)

No worries at all :) if you have any suggestions on additional features you might like to see please do not hesitate to let me know ;)

• 3 weeks later...

Excellent, and thank you. One comment so far (15 minutes of playing with it) is your maps are google.maps.au, so I went and relocalized for my country. 

Suggestion - can I add in another common location - for me, it's gym. Some mornings i head to work, some mornings I stop first at gym. I guess I can just plug in gym postal code, but a feature to add other favorites (or search address book) would be cool. 

Thanks again.

Excellent, and thank you. One comment so far (15 minutes of playing with it) is your maps are google.maps.au, so I went and relocalized for my country. 

Suggestion - can I add in another common location - for me, it's gym. Some mornings i head to work, some mornings I stop first at gym. I guess I can just plug in gym postal code, but a feature to add other favorites (or search address book) would be cool. 

Thanks again.

OOOH noted, I have logged two issues on github.

1. Don't assume .com.au need to look at some sort of localisation --> https://github.com/stuartcryan/advanced-google-maps-alfred-workflow/issues/1

2. Add additional locations dynamically --> https://github.com/stuartcryan/advanced-google-maps-alfred-workflow/issues/2

I will try to get to these in my next round of updates :).

Cheers,
Stuart
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 11 months later...

Howdy all,

I have put together a new beta release and I am hoping a couple of people could test this out for me please prior to releasing a full update:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/9093155/Advanced Google Maps Search 1.2.0beta.alfredworkflow 

Changes in this beta include:

1. I have added a Workflow Environment Variable for setting your Google Locale: It is quite rudimentary at the moment, but in essence if you (for example) set the variable to the domain for your locale. For example 'com.au' it will use google.com.au if you use 'com.tw' it will use google.com.tw.
  2. Changed to use Alfred's native 'Open in' functionality rather than relying on the 'open' command for native configurability in Alfred (if you wish to force a particular browser, other than the default).

If a couple of people would like to test and report back OK, I will happily release a full update.

Cheers,
Stuart

10 hours ago, stuartcryan said:

Howdy all,

I have put together a new beta release and I am hoping a couple of people could test this out for me please prior to releasing a full update:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/9093155/Advanced Google Maps Search 1.2.0beta.alfredworkflow 

Changes in this beta include:

1. I have added a Workflow Environment Variable for setting your Google Locale: It is quite rudimentary at the moment, but in essence if you (for example) set the variable to the domain for your locale. For example 'com.au' it will use google.com.au if you use 'com.tw' it will use google.com.tw.
  2. Changed to use Alfred's native 'Open in' functionality rather than relying on the 'open' command for native configurability in Alfred (if you wish to force a particular browser, other than the default).

If a couple of people would like to test and report back OK, I will happily release a full update.

Cheers,
Stuart

Thanks for the update! It works great for me (OS X 10.12.2, Alfred 3.2.1).

There is one minor issue but with a simple workaround, the mapsethome/work commands do not seem to support international characters (in this case Swedish characters å, ä, or ö). However, Google finds correct address anyway so the use of international characters does not seem necessary.

• 5 months later...
24 minutes ago, sensor said:

How hard would it be to covert the map from google to apple maps?

I just had a quick look and notice that Apple does have URL parameters... it would require some tweaking, probably a few hours plus some testing for good measure.

https://developer.apple.com/library/content/featuredarticles/iPhoneURLScheme_Reference/MapLinks/MapLinks.html

Cheers,
Stuart

• 6 months later...
On 23/12/2016 at 12:31 AM, cands said:

Thanks for the update! It works great for me (OS X 10.12.2, Alfred 3.2.1).

There is one minor issue but with a simple workaround, the mapsethome/work commands do not seem to support international characters (in this case Swedish characters å, ä, or ö). However, Google finds correct address anyway so the use of international characters does not seem necessary.

OOOH noted, I will have to see what I can do about this, may simply need to UTF-8 encode everything more diligently. Will see what I can come up with.

Version 1.2.3 Beta - Released December 25th 2017. You can get this from [REDACTED, PLEASE SEE NEW POST BELOW FOR BUGFIX VERSION - I made a slight booboo when indenting which causes a problem in the Beta1 Release] (download link expires in 90 days, I will push it out formally before then) Host of new features:

• dirfc: Directions from Current Address. See the installation instructions above to install Homebrew and CoreLocationCLI
  • dirtc: Directions to Current Address. See the installation instructions above to install Homebrew and CoreLocationCLI
  • dir, dirfc and dirtc now support Google transit type (walk, drive, pt [public transport] and bike)
  • dir now supports 'here'. Here anywhere in the transit plan translates to the current GPS coordinates using CoreLocationCLI. Technically this probably does away with the need for dirfc and dirtc, but, leaving them there for consistency.
  • overhaul of changes to properly use Google API parameters
  • All flows now support the 'dirX walk|bike|pt|drive' modifier YEP you can now tell Google what transport form you wish for
  • New basic utilisation of dir:
    • Basic utilisation: dir ORIGIN DESTINATION
    • Advanced 1: dir ORIGIN WAYPOINT1 WAYPOINT2 .. WAYPOINT9 DESTINATION
    • Advanced 2: dir walk|bike|pt|drive ORIGIN DESTINATION
    • Advanced 3: dir home|work DESTINATION
    • Advanced 4: dir ORIGIN home|work
    • Advanced 5: dir ORIGIN WAYPOINT1 work|home .. WAYPOINT9 DESTINATION
    • Advanced 6: you can use 'here' in place of any ORIGIN, DESTINATION or WAYPOINT to pull the current location using the CoreLocationAPI if set up.

Hoping to find a few brave souls to give this a bit of a whirl in a wider audience base.

Edited by stuartcryan
I made a booboo
1 hour ago, stuartcryan said:

Version 1.2.3 Beta - Released December 25th 2017. You can get this from https://web.tresorit.com/l#1MTo57IIQb3--_fy01vxYQ (download link expires in 90 days, I will push it out formally before then) Host of new features:

• overhaul of changes to properly use Google API parameters
  • All flows now support the 'dirX walk|bike|pt|drive' modifier YEP you can now tell Google what transport form you wish for
  • New basic utilisation of dir:
    • Basic utilisation: dir ORIGIN DESTINATION
    • Advanced 1: dir ORIGIN WAYPOINT1 WAYPOINT2 .. WAYPOINT9 DESTINATION
    • Advanced 2: dir walk|bike|pt|drive ORIGIN DESTINATION
    • Advanced 3: dir home|work DESTINATION
    • Advanced 4: dir ORIGIN home|work
    • Advanced 5: dir ORIGIN WAYPOINT1 work|home .. WAYPOINT9 DESTINATION
    • Advanced 6: you can use 'here' in place of any ORIGIN, DESTINATION or WAYPOINT to pull the current location using the CoreLocationAPI if set up.

Hoping to find a few brave souls to give this a bit of a whirl in a wider audience base.

For those of you that have had problems with special characters ( @cands, @jhinden, @xilopaint) , I now have a fix for that too. Please see 1.2.3_Beta2. Please note, this is a non-backwards compatible version, which means you will need to set up your work and home addresses again. I have to encode and decode them, so if you try to use the workflow without setting them up... the addresses Google gets for work and home will *not* be what you are expecting.

This also fixes a couple of bugs in the 1.2.3 update caused by an automated code indenting script I used (yep, lesson learned, just do it myself LOL).

New version 1.2.3Beta2 available at https://web.tresorit.com/l#Fsa5vI-klGhN0BypfIXQjw. REMEMBER YOU MUST SET UP YOUR ADDRESSES AGAIN! Also, please read the notes in the workflow readme (on the parameters set up page).

Thoughts welcome!

On 27/12/2017 at 9:04 AM, cands said:

Great work, thanks! I've just done very limited testing (about 10 minutes) but I can confirm that it now works with Swedish characters (å, ä and ö), and all the functions I've tried seem to work perfectly!

Woohoo, great to hear, sorry that one took a significant amount of time to fix. 

I will leave it a few more days and if it doesn't give me any grief, will release a new version.

Thank you for the feedback!

Cheers,
Stuart

All righty! Ladies and gentlepeoples, we have 1.3.0 released as of today available HERE (and on Packal).

First up, apologies you will need to re-set up your work and home addresses, there was no avoiding this, if you don't you will get very strange results in Google!

Changes

• dir now supports 'work' and 'home' as modifiers
  • Overhaul of changes to properly use Google API parameters
  • Mass code cleanup and refactoring for simplification. Most flows now leverage the dir base code.
  • Additional error handling implemented surrounding maximum number of waypoints
  • Fixed a bug where special characters would not work in stored URLs
  • Implemented a workflow environment variable for getting a local Google URL
  • Changed to use Alfred's native URL opening functionality, this enables you to select a preferred browser

New things you can do:

• dir to to etc (seperate multiple addresses with " to " minus the quotes, and you will get a multiple location search)
  • [NEW] dir now does all the heavy lifting. You can use the modifiers 'here' (current location, must have CoreLocationCLI installed), 'work' and 'home' in any query. For example 'dir home to work to new york'.
  • [NEW] dirfc this will use your current location (WiFi card must be active) to the destination.
  • [NEW] dirtc Show directions from query to current location
  • [NEW] All commands now support the following modifiers: walk, bike, drive, pt (public transport). The modifier can be invoked by 'dirX ' e.g. 'dirfw pt ' will give you public transport directions. This also works with 'dir' and multiple waypoints.
  • [NEW] Localisation now defaults to USA, hence make sure you update workflow parameters if you wish to use a different country code on the Google URL.
  • dirfw Show directions from Work to address
  • dirfh Show directions from Home to address
  • dirtw Show directions from query to Work address
  • dirth Show directions from query to Home address
  • trafficw - Show traffic from Home to Work
  • traffich - Show traffic from Work to Home
  • [NEW] dir now supports up to 9 waypoints. For example 'dir origin to waypoint 1 to waypoint 2 etc to destination'

This release has been a LOT of work, and a long time coming. if you use it regularly, please consider a donation.

Donations

This workflow represents many many hours effort of development, testing and rework. So if you love the workflow, get use out of it every day, and would love to see me continuing development, a donation is a great way. You can either donate to me via Fundly (preferred) which gives the option of a re-occurring donation and also has some suggestions, donate to me via Patreon (if that is your preference) or donate to me via Paypal.

PayPal — The safer, easier way to pay online. 68747470733a2f2f63352e70617472656f6e2e636f6d2f65787465726e616c2f6c6f676f2f6265636f6d655f615f706174726f6e5f627574746f6e4032782e706e67

Very useful indeed.

I've submitted a couple of feature requests on GitHub, as I wouldn't want you to vegetate during the holidays :) 

On a more technical level, have you considered putting all the Perl code in external script files instead of pasting everything into Script boxes? There's a lot of duplication in there, it  makes the code harder to follow (though I must say, I don't think I've ever seen such readable Perl), and it undermines the utility of git commits when every change is to info.plist.