Recent Items 4.3 beta 2 for Alfred 4: Finder Recent Items

This is a longtime favorite workflow for me. I just noticed that favorite files are removed from the favorite list if they are moved to another folder using the Finder (I'm on macOS 10.12.6 and using Alfred version 3.5). Is this expected behavior? I realize that it may be difficult to keep track of files if they are moved, but maybe it's worth mentioning in the workflow description that favorites may be lost due to being moved. Or if there is an easy fix it would be great if the workflow would keep track on them even when moved.

• 5 weeks later...

I've been using Recent Items pretty frequently over the past year or so, but suddenly Favorites have stopped loading for me. This is where it gets stuck:

59f3a274da0a8_ScreenShot2017-10-27at2_10_15PM.png.504ccd2585908595f2d6343031de2d27.png

If anyone knows of alternatives for pulling up favorite file/folder paths or knows how to fix this, let me know!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 11 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I just want to offer a quick solution for anyone who happens to share my particular situation and is having trouble with this workflow. This only applies to you if you did a fresh install of Alfred 4 (the app, we aren't talking about your license) rather than an upgrade from Alfred 3. 

I got a new mac and used it as a chance to do a fresh install of Alfred 4, which keeps workflows in a different directory than before, breaking several workflows that used to work just fine.

Alfred 3 files:

~/Library/Application Support/Alfred 3

Alfred 4 files:

~/Library/Application Support/Alfred

ℹ️NOTE: If your computer already has the Alfred 3 directory, this solution is NOT for you.

This workflow (and probably others like it) is using a hard coded path to the Alfred 3 directory and failing because it doesn't exist. 

Fortunately the solution is quite simple. Open terminal and type the following command, AFTER you replace both instances of `USERNAME` with the name of your home directory.  Only use absolute paths for creating a symlink. 

ln -s "/Users/USERNAME/Library/Application Support/Alfred" "/Users/USERNAME/Library/Application Support/Alfred 3"

* Never trust code you get from strangers on the internet. Know your system. Know the command you're using. Don't use it if you aren't sure.

Press [Enter] after you enter the command in terminal. If it looks like nothing happened in terminal, you did it right. Yay!  If you see a message, it's probably an error message, and ... you're on your own. 

Hopefully this helps someone else.

@Carlos-Sz - Thanks for the great workflow. It's easily one of my most used. 

Cheers!

I know I'm 6 years late to the party, but does this still work in Alfred 4? I tried to import this workflow and can't seem to figure it out/get it to work. I'm an Alfred noob so unfortunately I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong or if it's just not supposed to work in this version of Alfred. Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...

Wondering if it is possible to exclude results from a recent items list if the parent folder has a specific name (*not necessarily a specific path*)?

With Ableton Live 10, automatic backups are made every so often and so they now populate the recent items list. Each project has a separate folder called 'Backup' that I'd like to exclude the results from. Does anyone know if this is possible?

Thanks in advance! 😄

Edited by woz_one
  • 4 weeks later...
On 7/18/2019 at 10:22 AM, woz_one said:

Wondering if it is possible to exclude results from a recent items list if the parent folder has a specific name (*not necessarily a specific path*)?

With Ableton Live 10, automatic backups are made every so often and so they now populate the recent items list. Each project has a separate folder called 'Backup' that I'd like to exclude the results from. Does anyone know if this is possible?

Thanks in advance! 😄

I'd use Hazel to automatically add an alfred:ignore tag to those items - unless you really want them to show elsewhere or you don't use Hazel...

• 1 month later...

The "rec4.jpg" file in initial post is missing so I have no idea how to use workflow. I've tried typing "rec fol" (or "fol" directly) to see recent folders I've used in the Finder, but it looks like Alfred is showing usual search results. The workflow is enabled, because typing "rec" is showing "Recent Items Preferences" entry with "Keyword: recpref" text below it.

Workflow version: 4.2

Alfred version: 4.0.4 build 1111

• 4 months later...

Is anyone able to set custom categories with Alfred 4? "recpref" brings up the two custom categories, but nothing happens when I press return to set them. I see the scripts have reference to com.runningwithcrayons.Alfred-3, but the notes say not to edit the scripts because they have to be recompiled.